Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pigeon decoying: Help and Advise ?

• 08-08-2006 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello everyone from a newbie on the forum, been lurking for a while.

Looking for wisdom on the use of rotary decoys, I have a good quality one, but can't get results from it. It was quite expensive, hence I must be doing something wrong.

I used it Sunday in combination with a dozen half shells, there was definitely woodies around, they did deviate from half a mile or less to come and check it out, but quickly flew away.

Same yesterday at a different spot, I was well hidden, they would check it from afar but fly away.

I then relocated myself with a lighter set up, only 3 half shells. Within minutes I got a few woodies, they would be actually landing near the half shells.

What am I doing wrong here??, the rotary decoy was pricey, and most people rave about its efficiency.

Is it a positioning mistake ? (Too close to the shells?)

Is it because I used plastic ones on the rotary as opposed to dead pigeons ?

Should I just start with the hals shells and then set up the rotary with dead ones ?

Any headsup appreciated....

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i think you answered your own question there.

I'd say do what ever works which will mean a few experiments

In this months Irish shooters Digest there's an article about decoying aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

they did deviate from half a mile or less to come and check it out, but quickly flew away.

Same yesterday at a different spot, I was well hidden, they would check it from afar but fly away.

This normally only happens if you are spotted, or else something like a previously shot pigeon is belly up! or to many feathers on the ground after shot birds. Pigeons have great eye sight and will see tiny movement.
    Is it a positioning mistake ? (Too close to the shells?)
    Is it because I used plastic ones on the rotary as opposed to dead pigeons ?
    Should I just start with the hals shells and then set up the rotary with dead ones ?

Any headsup appreciated....
    G
    I use about 10 decoys with the odd crow mixed in, i've always been told to place them in the triangle formation heads facing into the wind.

Sporting Gun Magazine is great for learning about decoying, major section every month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

I usually use a horseshoe pattern into the wind with the spinner on either side of the pattern and a couple of crows together. I find the dead birds much more effective than using the decoys on the spinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I dont understand how those spinners could be so expensive i know several people that made there own and they work perfect

just need an old wiper motor out of a car and a y shaped piece of metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

101 pigeons last night !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Terrier wrote:
    101 pigeons last night !! :D

That's it I am moving to where ever you live.

Advertisement