Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wide screen monitor???

• 08-08-2006 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm investing in a TFT monitor for space reasons. I'm thinking of getting 19" and am wondering if I should go for a wide screen one or not. I mainly play games on my PC, mainly BF2 and World War II online. Anyone have any wisdom on the matter? Is gaming any better/worse on a wide-screen?

Thanks,

Di11on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Well BF2 doesn't support widescreen monitors. There is an option to create a fake widescreen so you don't see any blackbars while playing but a 100% real widescreen would give you a larger Field of View resulting in being able to see more than someone on a 'normal' monitor.

AFAIK it's not being added to BF2142 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks for that...

I fly a lot... so I'm thinking.. when chasing someone you need more height than width... so I suppose there's little advantage having a widescreen given the lack of support for them.

I'm thinking of getting the Yusmart 198YP 19" Anyone any experience of this monitor, or of 19" LCDs in general?

Thanks,

Di11on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I was reading yesterday of a peep using a command line to play on his widescreen monitor but BF2 kept CTD on him.

(19:13:52) (BBK^Bilbo) guys i just installed bf2 with the 1.3 patch
    (19:14:10) (BBK^Bilbo) I can't log on its crashing to desktop after trying to connect to account server
    (19:18:02) (BBK^Bilbo) i have a TFT
    (19:18:14) (BBK^Bilbo) no force refresh rate or anything
    (19:18:36) (d22ontour) what res is it set to ?
    (19:18:48) (d22ontour) has to be 800x600 60 hz
    (19:18:55) (BBK^Bilbo) 1680 x 1050
    (19:19:09) (BBK^Bilbo) Ive got a command line in the short cut tho
    (19:19:32) (BBK^Bilbo) u can't select widescreen ingame tho?
    (19:25:16) (BBK^Bilbo) why doesn't it have widescreen support its suppoed to be 1337?

Etc etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The command line is :

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

It works fine but as I said, only get's rid of the black bars as opposed to giving you proper widescreen (i.e. properly making use of the wider screen as opposed to just stretching the image)

Advertisement