Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

any guards out for the long weekend

Options
  • 08-08-2006 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

back to work today, went up the country for the weekend, must of done 1000km... didn't see one guard...

did any body else see them out in force.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did almost 500 miles over the weekend heading down to Clare, etc.
    Anyway, only saw gardai working twice - once when two skangers were being searched in the main car park in Ennis and the other was a motorcycle garda at the cliffs of moher.
    No mobile patrols along the roads on my down or back to Clare.
    On my way down, as I passed Limerick, I came across what looked like a checkpoint with 3 gardai opn the side of the orad. All cars hit thier brakes to slow down (despite not going very fast). It turned out to be 3 dummies advertising something (on luminous yellow background) for a local butchers!
    In fairness though, I didn't see that much idiocy on the roads all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I did a fair bit of driving myself over the weekend and did a fair bit of giving out whenever I saw cars breaking the limit and no guards about to catch them or even deter them. Their saving grace was when I spotted them pulling on the Templemore to Roscrea road yesterday evening. Not a main road, so it was good to see them there. But then Templemore is their training ground so they were probably out practicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Only Gardaí I saw all weekend were patrolling the Greystones Festival. Didn't see any along the M50/M11/N11 at all over the weekend or on any of Wicklow's backroads.

Saw one patrol car this morning on the M50, the Garda had pulled over a Polish car which was dangerously laden just after J15 Northbound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I drove within the limit on the well-limit-signed road from Galway to Dublin, then broke the limit on the way to that scary turn right for Kilmainham, because I was so busy looking for the turnoff on the right that I failed to spot the limit changing in signs on the left! Two points on the licence...

Not one garda did I see all the way until the point after Lucan where I was pulled up. And cars were smashing the limits to bits all the way from Galway.

Sin a bhfuil...

Shouldn't this really be in Soc/Commuting, Transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saw loads of Gardai on Wednesday and Thursday, loads of checkpoints. They also put a checkpoint up outside Rathfarnham Garda station on Sunday night, which I though was a bit weird - they were either being lazy or thought it was the best place for all the pubs in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

This is strange, on thursday on my way to a friends house I saw a checkpoint in Dundrum which had pulled a few done-up Civics and talking about dangerous driving as we were walking by. Friday: I saw a few patrol cars on the M50, again some in Dundrum, and there were 2 checkpoints on the dual carriageway into Templeogue Village. Saturday: I saw a few patrol cars on my way up the Square on the Tallaght bypass, and a checkpoint on my way home Sunday: On the way to Santry there were 5 Traffic Corps cars on the M50 from what I saw, and a checkpoint on one of the roads out that direction, we were on a different road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Peaches & Creme

I saw the guards on three seperate occassions outside the drogheda area. They were on the country roads which in all fairness these are the roads that people think they are been cute while going home from a couple of pints in the local pub, i think they did rite campainging these roads. Instead of trying to catch drivers doing 5kph over the speed limit of the main roads.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Drove to Rosslare on Friday and back last night, saw one speed trap, and three accidents !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Drove home Friday night from Dundalk to Monaghan after the night club not one on the roads. One patrol car in Dundalk, I wanted to be pulled to see what this random breath testing was all about even though I wasnt drinking.

No check points back home in the normal spots.

How many people got killed on the roads this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

back to work today, went up the country for the weekend, must of done 1000km... didn't see one guard...

did any body else see them out in force.

This is getting boring.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

kluivert wrote:

How many people got killed on the roads this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

guards were checking for speeding in borrisoleigh CO Tipp on sunday. A friend of my got done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

One checking for tax / insurance outside Dungarvan and another doing a speed check on the south ring road in Cork.

Why oh why was I expecting to see them out in force doing their random breath test like they said they were going to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

rymus wrote:

Why oh why was I expecting to see them out in force doing their random breath test like they said they were going to.

I was sure that this time they would be doing what they said they would do... well with all the deaths on the road and all, but i should of know better.

a guard word isn't wort the paper its written on. maybe if we reach the 5k dead per year on our roads, they might be a little more visible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Coming back up to Dublin from Waterford last night I must have seen about 6 speed traps in place and came through 3 checkpoints.. so they were definitely out in force yesterday evening alright..

Over the weekend in general I didnt do a lot of travelling, so dunno what it was like before that.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

rymus wrote:
    One checking for tax / insurance outside Dungarvan and another doing a speed check on the south ring road in Cork.

Got stopped for a random breath test sometime around 23:00 -> 23:30 on the way into Tipperary town (on the Cahir side). Hadn't been drinking so I'd nothing to worry about (I wouldn't drink/drive anyway) but was somewhat pleased to see the care the garda went to so as not to touch the end of the nozzle when fitting it to the tester.

Got stopped again a while later while leaving Gort (on the Galway side) - looked like they were just doing tax/insurance checks but decided to pack it in for the night after the car in front of me.

Was out for a walk on the prom in Salthill (Galway) on Sunday night and they setup a checkpoint along the prom around 22:30 - seemed to just be checking for tax/insurance.

Prob did in the region of 600 miles over the weekend and the only time I saw any trace of Gardai was at night and tbh that's what I expected as I suspected a lot of the more rural based gardai would have been put on late/night work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Anyone think that the tax/insurance checkpoints and the breath-test ones are one and the same? A Garda will have a fair idea of whather or not the driver is pissed when talking to the driver about his disks. Would make more sense than stopping everyone for testing alone.

Or would I be way off the mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I saw the guards on three seperate occassions outside the drogheda area. They were on the country roads which in all fairness these are the roads that people think they are been cute while going home from a couple of pints in the local pub, i think they did rite campainging these roads. Instead of trying to catch drivers doing 5kph over the speed limit of the main roads.:eek:

Yup I agree. They're all over the R152 like it was a packet of Bacon Fries.

I've seen them out nearly everyday on that road doing static checks and in an unmarked red mondeo (yeah lads, hardly unmarked, Dublin reg and three antenne sticking out of the top making it look like the car equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog).

Fair play to them though. That road is normally Whacky Racers territory as most people turning onto it from the N2/M1 think that they're on the home stretch. I've seen quite a few people have near-death experiences on that road in the last three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

I was breathalysed at lunchtime on Monday on Stillorgan dual carriageway. The random strategy seemed to be to pull in the first 3 or 4 cars away from the lights, pull them in to the side and get the gardai off the road to let the rest of the traffic past. Seems reasonable but I would infer that amber gamblers, being at the end of the train of traffic, would be less to be checked. Guy in front failed and got taken down to the station.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jlang wrote:
    Guy in front failed and got taken down to the station.
    the system works!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

saturday night 1130pm donegal town bypass doing insurance tax check didnt see anyone breathalysed

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

I've seen them out nearly everyday on that road doing static checks and in an unmarked red mondeo (yeah lads, hardly unmarked, Dublin reg and three antenne sticking out of the top making it look like the car equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog).

It is unmarked. Not undercover. There is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Saw one on the Limerick bypass and then another at the Nenagh bypass. The guy in Nenagh had a Beetle pulled over that had flown past me doing about 130K about five minutes earlier.

I was still chuckling to myself 30 minutes later.

Advertisement