Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB cc ac statement referral charge

Options
  • 08-08-2006 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Was lookin up my aib current a/c statement and noticed a fee called "referral charge" which occured when a dd put my a/c od briefly! What exactly is a referral charge? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

it is because u did not have the OD pre-approved, it is another way of penalising the customer. the name comes from the days when it was all manual and the posting of an item that put the old pink ledger pages into the red required the matter to be "referred" to a higher authority.
    In passing did the DD go through or was it rejected.
    Generally if the DD is to another AIB a/c it will be put through.
    hope this helps

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sorry to bumo this old thread but the exact same thign happened to me, I mean my account was overdrawn by 22euro briefly(like less than a day) and I got hit with a 5.10 referral charge?
    I mean, WTF?

Do I have any comeback here?

Just got charged this "REFERRAL CHARGE". Anybody know for sure what it is? I was just charged for a bill for the first time via direct debit. It also put me in the red briefly. Am I being charged for the direct debit or because I was overdrawn? Will I be charged this fee every time the direct debit comes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Just got charged this "REFERRAL CHARGE". Anybody know for sure what it is? I was just charged for a bill for the first time via direct debit. It also put me in the red briefly. Am I being charged for the direct debit or because I was overdrawn? Will I be charged this fee every time the direct debit comes out?

Assuming the overdraft isn't authorised, yes, you've been charged for going into a debit balance on your current account. AIB will generally take this option as it's cheaper than a fee for a rejected direct debit.

Assuming the overdraft isn't authorised, yes, you've been charged for going into a debit balance on your current account. AIB will generally take this option as it's cheaper than a fee for a rejected direct debit.

Thanks, just found this:

Referral Item Charges
    These charges apply when cheques, withdrawals, direct
    debits and standing orders are presented for payment on
    your account and, when paid, place the account in an
    unauthorised overdraft position. A charge of €5.15 per
    item is applied, up to a maximum of five items per day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement