Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magnet do not allow access to the router/modem

• 08-08-2006 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I just had magnet installed in my house, and to my shock they will not allow access to their modem/router.

they will not give you the details on how to access it (username/password)
    if you reset it they will not talk you through setting it up
    if you use your own modem they will not give you the details to set it up.

wow am i pissed off,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is their modem/router after all, they can do what they like with it. This is pretty common practice for 'triple-play' ISPs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

how do you they expect you to do port forwarding?

Good question. Dunno. Did you try calling the contact centre?

I think the most sensible thing here will be to find out if there is some way to get the router to give your own router or computer a 'real' IP address and then you can do what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Re: "find out if there is some way to get the router to give your own router or computer a 'real' IP address"

It does this by default (87.198.*.*) and all ports are open (whether you like it or not)

Re: "how do you they expect you to do port forwarding?"
    With proper Internet IP and all ports open you don't need forwarding.

N.B. I'm not saying that this is a good idea, just that's the way it is with them.

Some on here have claimed to access Magnet router setup, via the USB cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

im thinkin of switching to magnet meself pretty soon..do they give static ips or is it dynamic..im thinkin of getting the magnet lite package 4mb down 512 up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭crowej

each device i connect to the magnet box gets a public address, as far as i can make out,

no static as far as i can see

beware the no access for port forwarding !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

alri..i dont really have a problem with either having static or dynamic..

yeah but if there all open then it dont really matter then does it..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

aye, lots of the dodgy smaller (GBS stylee) wisps do this too.
    sucks a bit, but what can you do?

So you get a couple of real IP addresses not just the one which all the other guys give you? I have nothing to do with Magnet, but that sounds like a great setup to me. There's no real advantage in you being able to access the modem if they are giving you that. Why would you want to forward ports when you have real IP addresses?

Why don't you just get another router to go behind their one, if you want the security of a firewal? You can configure it whatever way you like.

Admittedly the extra router is an extra expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭crowej

the problem is that the magnet box (until i managed to get into it tonight) had its own firewall blocking everything.

i have managed to turn that off now so i will be placing my own firewall behind it

• Advertisement
Advertisement