Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fps on a console

Options
  • 08-08-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who has trouble with fps games on a console? I can beat Halo no problem, but that's a little more forgiving than recent titles (I'm thinking of GRAW here). I just can't aim properly without a mouse and moving and shooting are next to impossible with analog controls, I find.

Am I just getting too old for this nonsense? I really want Gears of War, but without a mouse, I suspect I'll be returning it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find that lowering the sensitivity on the analog stick works well. It just takes awhile to get used to it. Also Halo is easy to aim in because it uses auto-aim. A joypad is no subsitute for a mouse but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I find that lowering the sensitivity on the analog stick works well. It just takes awhile to get used to it. Also Halo is easy to aim in because it uses auto-aim. A joypad is no subsitute for a mouse but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Spot on there, gave my girlfriend a go of far cry on the 360 there the other day and it was hilarious to watch her struggle. She could not aim at all, the corss hair would fly wildly across the screen.

I think its just practice you need. Graw is tough as its a bit more of a simulation/tactical game than an arcade stlye shooter like Halo (i.e. 2 bullets in the right places and you're dead, i think all fps games should be like this but that's just my opinion) but I have no problem aiming in it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

my fps skills are generally poor; I play halo 2 all the time and I still haven't got decent aiming down; plus the americans use n00b combos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Play lots of other game-types. It will build your thumbstick technique and "muscle memory".

Toca3 actually - it requires some rather fine(ish) control of the sticks and triggers to put the car around the track with some pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I find that lowering the sensitivity on the analog stick works well.
    How would you do this on say the 360?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be surpirsed if there wasn't an option for this in the options screen of whatever game you are playing. It's been in the options of every dual analog fps I've played since Quake 2 on the PS1 perfected it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

MOST console games have auto aim option, or play the game ,on normal,level,not tough level, theres a mouse ,keypad,3rd party unit avaidable for the 360.In 3d fast fps , nothing can match the speed acurracy of the mouse ,keyboard combo, ms WILL not allow developers to make kb,mouse games,not even for the lord of the rings 360 rts.Who the hell wants to play an rts on a 360 joypad?Its ridicuolous.I think they are afraid that mouse users will have an advantage playing on xbox live.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think playing an FPS on a console is just rubbish compared with on a PC. The control a mouse gives just makes the whole experience, well, more enjoyable.

To be fair though, some games are crap on th PC compared to their console counterparts.

Horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I like console fps if it's done right. Games like halo and prey have great analog movement. But other games like far cry, rainbow six, and black, the thumbsticks, regardless of what changes you have made to sensitivity just feel wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Vegeta wrote:
    Spot on there, gave my girlfriend a go of far cry on the 360 there the other day and it was hilarious to watch her struggle. She could not aim at all, the corss hair would fly wildly across the screen.

Sure thats what most girlfriends do when they play a game, bouncing the car off the sides again and again, not seeming to grasp that the analog stick doesn't require being wrenched from side to side, calling your hobby crap because the concept of videogaming in their heads began and ended with a little yellow pizza shaped guy who went "wakka wakka" while eating pills and chasing ghosts.

• Advertisement

Jeebus, give the chix0rs a little more credit than that!
    Tis your fault for not communicating with her on common ground. A fast-paced, [possibly] violent FPS coupled with the coordinational complexities of using a modern joypad with any degree of fluidity is hardly the best start for someone who doesn't play games and probably isn't too excited by the prospect of headshots and gibs.
    I forsee your ass being handed to you by several of the XX-brigade in the near future.
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    the concept of videogaming in their heads began and ended with a little yellow pizza shaped guy who went "wakka wakka" while eating pills and chasing ghosts.
    She's clearly soooo much more hardcore than you. Envious, are ye? wink.gif

A console FPS is the gaming genre equivalent of a cuckold's child. It's not what you wanted, the woman you loved has gone and done the nasty with the binmen and you're left holding the controller. But, if you don't know any better, you will accept this product of [initially] ill-advised union into your life and nurture it as you would any other.

I have always felt quite strongly about PC vs. Consle FPS. The former has the historical advantage, and is a far more flexible platform, even if it's a mite more expensive and in a constant state of flux. The latter is a sh1te state of affairs to be in, but it's better than a kick in the balls. Most of the time at least. With successive generations, it's usually serviceable.

this edit was worth staying awake for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The only console fps games I would say have good controls are the 2 metroid prime games on the cube, and even then the emphasis isn't on shooting and you don't have to aim for yourself all that much. Take auto aim away from practically any console fps(even halo) and it's an absolute nightmare trying to hit pretty much anything. Keyboard and mouse is far better for shooting games, but not all, and in the case of fpses there's absolutely no comparison, get someone to use an xbox 360 controller to play ET or FEAR and they would have their ass handed to them in practically any server-give that same person a keyboard and mouse for a game of MotoGP and he'd probably have their ass handed to them similarly.
    SyxPak wrote:
    A console FPS is the gaming genre equivalent of a cuckold's child.
    Well said.

The control scheme pioneered in Goldeneye works really well. It should be used an awful lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Isn't there a plan to have some upcoming game working online for PC and Xbox gamers simultaneously? I think I remember some guff about this around e3 time. I know which system I'd prefer to be using...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The control scheme in Metroid Prime was great, wonderful to see a company be brave enough to take convention and turf it out the window.
    As for the Goldeneye control scheme, I used to switch it to the same control scheme as the now traditional FPS control scheme, never took to the default one at all.
    The two handed control scheme was interesting, anyone remember experimenting with that?
    As for my wife being more "Hardcore" than I, em, don't think so, the last game she actually played was Duck Hunt on the Nes and while she had been very good at it her then boyfriend got very jealous and frustrated and while I wonlt decribe further she quickly learned to lose, he was a real nasty arsehole.
    Since then she can't bring herself 'round to gaming at all, unfortunate that she married a committed and commitable gamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

corblimey wrote:
    Isn't there a plan to have some upcoming game working online for PC and Xbox gamers simultaneously? I think I remember some guff about this around e3 time. I know which system I'd prefer to be using...

Shadowrun, cross platform for windows pc gamers and live users alike :)

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    As for my wife being more "Hardcore" than I, em, don't think so, the last game she actually played was Duck Hunt on the Nes and while she had been very good at it her then boyfriend got very jealous and frustrated and while I wonlt decribe further she quickly learned to lose, he was a real nasty arsehole.
    Since then she can't bring herself 'round to gaming at all, unfortunate that she married a committed and commitable gamer!

Sucks man, sorry to hear it :/

Buy her a DS

Advertisement