Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb - good but... why the page load delay?

• 08-08-2006 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm on digiwebs metro package in Galway.

Barring quoted install time verse the reality of the actual install time (3 week in difference) - I'm pretty pleased so far.

BUT when I initally hit a site the pages are taking an age (5 seconds) to load. After the inital page loads on each site it flies.

Any idea why this is happening? (it happens of every site I visit)

I'm getting a pretty constant speeds of (from irishisptest.com) :
    Download: 2.96Mbps
    Upload speed: 467kbps
    Quality of Service: 99%
    Round Trip Max: 25ms
    Max Pause: 57ms

Also attached you'll see pings to irishisptest.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This sounds like what is known as the MTU problem which used to happen now and again on DSL installs a few years ago. I'm not sure what the fix is going to be in your case. It could be something to do with your firewall, or something to do with your ISP's network setup, or a combination of both.

Anyone else got any suggestions on how to resolve this? I think it can be done by fiddling with MTU sizes on the computer or on the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Funnily enough - I've been having this exact same problem, but haven't reported it as I had a feeling it was something on my end that was causing it. I've recently bought a new router and if the MTU is indeed the problem, then I'm glad I didnt call up to complain :) (god knows I do enough of that ...)

Any idea what the ideal MTU for their service is? I can set my router to that MTU (I think) and see if it improves

*edit* And now that I think of it - I had to modify my MTU a few years ago while behind a router (Linksys, as is my new one) in order for my pc's connection to work right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I believe you generally need to reduce the MTU. Try reducing it by 20 percent and see if that helps. Or you could just call them and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

well you can easily test it using ping, you can apply a packetsize to each ping packet sent out, and from that you can determine your perfect MTU.

Or something :)

Advertisement