Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Civic/Integra Type R - insurance?

Options
  • 08-08-2006 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm here in Ireland since few months and I'm not really familiar with incurance rates here.
    Could anyone recommend me an insurance company for CTR or ITR, please?

I'm 29, and I have EU full driving licence since 11 years.
    I hope insurance shouldn't be too high? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

There's an insurance thread at the top of this page, have a gander through that and you'll get some idea.
    Aswell as that, ring around a few companies to get some quotes.

Although bear in mind that insurance companies really don't like cars that have Type-R, GTI or anything of that sort in their names..but considering you're 29 and have a full licence it might not have much of an effect.
    Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

hosi wrote:
    I'm 29, and I have EU full driving licence since 11 years.
    I hope insurance shouldn't be too high? :confused:

Your insurance is going to cost you many thousands, if you can get a quote at all. Unless you can transfer a no claims bonus from your country of origin to here. It is possible, but there is red tape involved, like having an officially translated certificate of no claims bonus. If you can transfer a 5 years or more NCB to here, I'd expect your quote to be in the region of €1000-€1500

Ring an insurance company, ask to speak to a supervisor and explain your situation. They'll tell you what you need to do to get them to recognise your no claims here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Ahh...never thought of that bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Thanks guys for your answers!
    The thing is, I have no certificate of no claims bonus from my country at all.
    I have just got online quote on www.brittoninsurance.com for 2002 Honda Civic Type R:
    "Britton Insurance is pleased to offer a Premium of €4,047.53 (Policy Excess: €348.00)" :eek: :eek: :eek:

hosi wrote:
    The thing is, I have no certificate of no claims bonus from my country at all

Are you from one of the 10 "new" EU countries, e.g. Poland, Latvia, etc.? I know people from "old" EU countries and they could get NCB certificates issued to them with a bit of effort even in cases where such documents would not normally be provided by insurers in those countries. You've three options:

1. Forget about a fast car
    2. Try to convince your previous insurer to issue an NCB
    3. Fork out the €4k

Let us know how you get on if going for option 2. It might help others reading this too

• Advertisement

OK, I have decided to choose first option :(
    It is not normal to pay 4k for insurance...
    Anyway thanks guys for your help :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Zascar wrote:

They won't give him a quote without NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tyre R's (among other Jap's) have been blacklisted recently.

You might get cheaper insurance if you can get a UK spec, not sure though

JohnCleary wrote:
    Tyre R's (among other Jap's) have been blacklisted recently

Nonsense. A single 29 year old man with any EU license (8+years) and a full irish NCB can get insured for €800 on a 200bhp 2.0 CTR with a normal excess (123.ie)

But hold on a minute!!!!!!!

In the field where it says what country my NCB was earned, if I fill in anything other than the UK or Ireland (tried 10 other old and new EU countries), it will not quote me :eek:

Is this discrimination? Is this illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmm interesting. Unkel which site were you using?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Hmmmm interesting. Unkel which site were you using?

123.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

unkel wrote:
    Nonsense. A single 29 year old man with any EU license (8+years) and a full irish NCB can get insured for €800 on a 200bhp 2.0 CTR with a normal excess (123.ie)

But hold on a minute!!!!!!!

In the field where it says what country my NCB was earned, if I fill in anything other than the UK or Ireland (tried 10 other old and new EU countries), it will not quote me :eek:

Yeah but 29 is OLDDDDD :p

At that age you'd be better off getting a family wagon ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:

Insurance companys seem to be able to justify discrimination as they claim to have stats to prove their point!
    They could also be called sexist, ageist, etc.

unkel wrote:

:eek: Not bad... :rolleyes:
    Maybe I should try to find a decent broker?
    Who can recommend one? :)

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yeah but 29 is OLDDDDD :p
    At that age you'd be better off getting a family wagon ;)

Nooooo! That's the last chance, later on I'll be really too old :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I got mine through www.wrightgroup.ie - they resell for XSdirect too. I have a 2002 Civic Type R 220BHP for a grand. 4k excess but its worth it

kbannon wrote:
    Insurance companys seem to be able to justify discrimination as they claim to have stats to prove their point!
    They could also be called sexist, ageist, etc.

True, but they should be legally obliged imo to provide those stats to say an insurance ombudsman upon request in case of blatant discrimination. Easy enough for the insurance company with regard to male/female quotes, young/mature quotes, full/provisional license quotes etc.

I do not believe though that they can come up with stats showing that regardless of nationality, an average driver with a 5 years NCB built up in Ireland will cost them less than an average driver with a 5 years NCB built up in say Germany or Sweden
    hosi wrote:
    Maybe I should try to find a decent broker?
    Who can recommend one? :)

You really should ring EVERY broker and EVERY direct insurance company. I'm not joking. It will take you hours, but the result might very well be a pleasant surprise

Are you sure you cannot get a certificate of no-claims from your previous insurer? If not, would you care to explain why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭[V3]

Zascar wrote:
    I got mine through www.wrightgroup.ie - they resell for XSdirect too. I have a 2002 Civic Type R 220BHP for a grand. 4k excess but its worth it

They are not that bad, I got a quote of €2.3k with excess of €500 for a Teg R. I've been quoted €3.5k by another insurance company :eek:

Advertisement