Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Routers to Hubs!

• 08-08-2006 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hello All

This is possibly a question that has been asked before but I wasnt able to find a thread with it. I have a broadband cannoection, Netgear Broadband Modem, and want to add some computers. I want to buy a hub and connect the PC's to the hub in a little workgroup and then connect the hub to the broadband to give them all web access.

Question is, is it straightforward, i.e loeave all the pc's on DHCP and they will pick uup the desired information through the hub and broadband modem as usual or is it more complicted.

Also do you connect the hub to the broadband modem with a straight through cable or crossover?

Thanks in advance for your patience and replies!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

darran_D wrote:
    Question is, is it straightforward, i.e loeave all the pc's on DHCP and they will pick uup the desired information through the hub and broadband modem as usual or is it more complicted.

Also do you connect the hub to the broadband modem with a straight through cable or crossover?
    Yea they'll pick up the DHCP through the hub

Use the same type of cable that you use to connect the computers to the hub. Can't quite remember but i think its a straight one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Yea they'll pick up the DHCP through the hub

Use the same type of cable that you use to connect the computers to the hub. Can't quite remember but i think its a straight one
    Ehh.

Just plug the uplink port on the switch (not hub, switch! hubs are old and shíte :)) into the router, and then plug the computers into the switch.
    easy as pie, should work off the bat. Use regular patch cables. (straight through cat5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A lot of switches don't have uplink ports. Some switches need a crossover cable plugged into one of the ports so you can plug the other end into the modem or router. Some other switches have a feature called "Auto MDI", which allows you to use either a crossover cable or an ordinary cable when connecting any device to the switch.

Advertisement