Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(AUS) Telstra throws FTTN toys out of pram

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I had started a thread about this earlier based on a further article here

Telekom in Germany also made the same linkage.

This continual linkage of LLU and Rural Underinvestment seems familiar , all to familiar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sorry SB - not like me to make a slip like that!! :)

Yes, all too familiar indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What's the story with FTTN in Ireland? Are all broadband-enabled exchanges connected with fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Blaster99 wrote:
    What's the story with FTTN in Ireland? Are all broadband-enabled exchanges connected with fibre?

Last night i had a dream they were, but thats all it was!! a dream :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Blaster99 wrote:
    Fibre to the node does not mean exchanges to be fibre connected. Rather fibre would be extended from the exchanges to "nodes", from which on only short runs of copper are necessary to the customer, delivering really high speeds.

I remember, some years ago ComReg, or it may have been still the ODTR, had a document/consultation (not sure) published which delved into this idea of having fibre extended to closer-to-the-customer steel cabinets, but I am not aware that since then flesh was put onto it.

I still think that it is short sighted of the DCMNR not to change some of the future MAN projects into testbeds for Fibre to the node/curb/home projects.
    This is the future and building it for real on a few places could give valuable information on technical issues, real costs etc.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I still think that it is short sighted of the DCMNR not to change some of the future MAN projects into testbeds for Fibre to the node/curb/home projects.
    This is the future and building it for real on a few places could give valuable information on technical issues, real costs etc.
    You're talking about a government that is ideologically opposed to the state providing any service to the public that can be provided by a profit making private entity. And any test run by a private entity would not provide "valuable information on technical issues, real costs etc" because that would be "commercially sensitive information", and we've seen time and time again that the public will not be provided access to "commercially sensitive information".

Advertisement