Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices to rise again!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

the real saving with a diesel engine is the MPG, it doesn't matter what a litre costs

even if diesel was 200c a litre it would still work out cheaper to run a diesel engine

and i'm comparing a 110bhp turbo 1.6 diesel to a 70bhp 1.4 petrol

try to think of petrol like diesel with 1:1 parts water mixed through it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

if the government was to introduce a tax where the pollutor pays then the government would have to a pretty high tax on its own vehicles

That would make no sense - the Government would only be paying itself. That is why all state vehicles are not required to pay road tax or VRT etc.

Would you pay rent to yourself, to live in your own house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

mukki wrote:
    the real saving with a diesel engine is the MPG, it doesn't matter what a litre costs

even if diesel was 200c a litre it would still work out cheaper to run a diesel engine

and i'm comparing a 110bhp turbo 1.6 diesel to a 70bhp 1.4 petrol

try to think of petrol like diesel with 1:1 parts water mixed through it
    i drive a 2.5 dsl nissan pathfinder flatback for my employer and i have to fill it every second day at a cost of around €70 per fill,give or take but i reckon i only do about 160mls to empty it

i reckon i only do about 160mls to empty it

Jesus that's hard on it. I get about 550 miles on a €80 fill in a 3 litre automatic diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭maidhc

if the government was to introduce a tax where the pollutor pays then the government would have to a pretty high tax on its own vehicles

Authentic Eddie Hobbs economics! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i drive a 2.5 dsl nissan pathfinder flatback for my employer and i have to fill it every second day at a cost of around €70 per fill,give or take but i reckon i only do about 160mls to empty it

well why don't you get it fixed then, the money you'll save in fuel will quickly repay the repair costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

mukki wrote:
    well why don't you get it fixed then, the money you'll save in fuel will quickly repay the repair costs
    its not mine,the only way to fix it(like any gas guzzler)is to blow it up(you would think crush it but i prefer blow it up)i have to laugh at idiots that drive up to the bottle bank in a 2 or 3ltr suv,are they taking the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

mike65 wrote:
    The current jump is down to BP closing a field for repairs.

When it's repaired will we see the prices go down though? Somehow I don't think we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ireland must have THE most sensitive economy in the whole world based on the fact if crude oil goes up by a $ or two Mr.Joe Punter here in Ireland gets penalised at the pump practically overnight.

What a load of bollix ! Fcuking crude oil probably gets sold on via 10 distributors before it reaches a pump here but amazingly the petrol stations here pass on the price hike immediately. Maybe they have some sort of magical direct pipe coming straight from the gulf which compels them to pass on the price change as soon as it hits the commodity markets ;)

FFS though, lets be honest it should be taking AT LEAST 4-6 wks for the price change to filter back to the pump.

Petrol station owners keeping rip off Ireland alive and kicking.

Sizzler wrote:
    Ireland must have THE most sensitive economy in the whole world based on the fact if crude oil goes up by a $ or two Mr.Joe Punter here in Ireland gets penalised at the pump practically overnight.

What a load of bollix ! Fcuking crude oil probably gets sold on via 10 distributors before it reaches a pump here but amazingly the petrol stations here pass on the price hike immediately. Maybe they have some sort of magical direct pipe coming straight from the gulf which compels them to pass on the price change as soon as it hits the commodity markets ;)

FFS though, lets be honest it should be taking AT LEAST 4-6 wks for the price change to filter back to the pump.

Petrol station owners keeping rip off Ireland alive and kicking.

Hear, Hear Sizzler. When the price of a barrel drops, it seems to take much longer to filter through! The fuel companies use the argument that it prevents people from panic bulk buying!!! Yea, we all have 1500 litre tanks in our cars. :rolleyes: Even home heating/agri/truck depot tanks are of limited size and it can have insurance implications to store excess fuel.

Customers cannot really bulk-buy fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I agree with Sizzler here.

The forecourts are the ones that ripping us off.

I have seen prices rise in Dundalk to 123.9 from 118.9. Thats some jump.

Wait till you see, some bright spark petrol station owner will have seen the news last night and saw ($$) ($$) signs light up in their eyes and would have been down to the forecourt first thing this morning to change to price board to 131.9.

Am looking into buying the 1.6TDCi Ford Focus, I hear its a good oil burner.

I also think that the likes of these economists coming onto the 9 o clock news certainly add fuel to the fire (pun intended!) and as you have just said petrol court owners see this and say to themselves "Ahh if the lads from the banks are saying it and its making the news then the dopey public must be expecting a rise therefore I shall oblige in the morning".
    So in my book the clown thats quoted all over the paper this morning needs a slap also, should be keeping his mouth shut and not aiding the inertia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

When the price of a barrel drops, it seems to take much longer to filter through!

Presumably, the forecourt price will remain up until they sell the fuel made from oil bought at the higher barrel rate?

Though I wonder if fuel companies sell stored fuel (produced at the time of cheaper barrel rates) at higher prices if the cost of crude increases?

Whoever said petrol stations where not making a profit are joking themselves.

I have seen two local forecourt undertake a complete overhaul, looks the business though and are driving brand new cars.

I think I might setup a service station on the M1 if the NRA will let me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

i have to laugh at idiots that drive up to the bottle bank in a 2 or 3ltr suv,are they taking the piss?

LOL :)
    kluivert wrote:
    I think I might setup a service station on the M1 if the NRA will let me.

They won't let you. Remember Ireland is the only country in Europe (probably in the world) that doesn't have a single service station on any of its motorways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Is there any way to find out how much the forecorts pay for their petrol?

Why doesn't some smart guy charge lets say 10c cheaper per litre assuming he still makes a small profit and get every customer in the area thus maximizing profit by getting every customer under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why is road tax is even more penal on the majority of diesel cars when they are far more economical.A 1.6/1.8 litre petrol pays a good bit less than a two-litre diesle, despite the fact it's clearly more economical.It's a big injustice in my view.
    Such a bloody rip-off. These are the type of cars we should be ENCOURAGED to buy if we are to become less dependent on expensive imported fossil fuels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Is there anyway to find out how much the forecourts pay for their petrol?

Why doesn't some smart guy start selling it for about 10c cheaper or whatever assuming he still makes a small profit and get every customer under the sun thus maximizing profits with loads of extra business aswell coming into the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

It would be interesting to see the rate of tax the Irish government put on petrol and diesel compared to other countries, at the moment I pay the equivalent of €1.38/litre in the UK for unleaded.. but it has been stable at around the 94/95.9p mark now for the past two months (diesel is more expensive here as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Someone on this thread made the point about Ireland being one of the cheapest EU countries re cost per litre. They were right about that.

However, unlike most EU countries, Ireland has no public transport system to speak of, with the result that a car is a necessity in this country (unless you live by the "Dort") Go beyond the Pale, and if you dont have your own form of transport, you may walk. Every time the price of oil goes up, the government is laughing as their cut becomes bigger - more money in the coffers which can be wasted.

The government could easily cap the amount of excise charged, and still do ok. When you look at how the motorist is ridden in this country - excise on fuel, VRT, Motor-tax, tolls, etc.., and what do we get in return? Sh1te roads, a non-existant transport service, no alternatives, and lots of excuses.

I hope people think long and hard when the next election comes up.

\end of rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

kluivert wrote:
    Am looking into buying the 1.6TDCi Ford Focus, I hear its a good oil burner.

Slightly off topic, but I have the Estate version which does 800km approx to a tank (50l)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I just spent €60 filling a Corsa. (Fair enough I bought V-power at 1.26 but I expect a proportionate increase in MPG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I know its hard to belive but it really is true that most stations are not making much through selling fuel. Thats just a way to get people in the door to buy outrageously priced fast food and tatty odds 'n sods. The multiples are selling sites off (Esso and Shell have closed 30 in the last year) Others have pulled out entirely.

The independants charge more than anyone as a rule while the era of the "Cheap Diesel ->" sign pointing down a lane is nearly over.

I think the government takes about 55% of the retail price (duty and VAT). How much the distributor takes I dunno.

Mike.

Our local independents (2) are a cent cheaper than Shell for Unleaded, 2c for diesel. The 2nd was ESSO until last Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We'll all end up in 10 km queues at Tesco I think!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    We'll all end up in 10 km queues at Tesco I think!

Mike.

Anywhere I can see where they plan to open more :?: :?:

The govt should be cutting back if thats the case !

I was in Waterford a few wks ago and diesel was 107 a litre and I was reliably informed by the lad in the station it was even cheaper again down the Tescos!

Petrol incidentally in the same station was 114, a hell of a lot cheaper than the smoke :mad:

Best Ive seen for both is the Esso on the main road to the 'munner.

I was down in Waterford back in April for the weekend.

Lovely spot

Anyway there was a 5c difference between petrol prices there and in Monaghan - Waterford being cheaper off course.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

mike65 wrote:
    I know its hard to belive but it really is true that most stations are not making much through selling fuel. Thats just a way to get people in the door to buy outrageously priced fast food and tatty odds 'n sods. The multiples are selling sites off (Esso and Shell have closed 30 in the last year) Others have pulled out entirely.

The independants charge more than anyone as a rule while the era of the "Cheap Diesel ->" sign pointing down a lane is nearly over.

I think the government takes about 55% of the retail price (duty and VAT). How much the distributor takes I dunno.

Mike.

I suspect that the selling off of sites has more to do with the fact that these sites are generally in prime development areas, and so it is much more profitable to cash in. In the Monaghan/Cavan/Louth area, I don't recall any sites closing in the the past five to ten years, whilst in the four years I lived in Dublin, I saw three or four close in the vicinity of the city centre. The biggest change I seen with regard to petrol stations is new ones been built or existing ones been upgraded, as bypasses/motorways change the flow of traffic.

BTW, The cheapest petrol station nearest to me is an independent who is on average five cents cheaper than the mutiples. I would be more curious to know how four different petrol stations (different multiples) on a one mile stretch of road manage to change their prices by the exact same amount on the same day, as happened two weeks ago. ie they all went from 118.9 to 121.9, within a couple of days of the trouble escalating in the Middle East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Remember Ireland is the only country in Europe (probably in the world) that doesn't have a single service station on any of its motorways
    Slightly off topic, but why is this? There are plenty of fields next to most major roads with nothing in them, and they are excellent cash-cows/post-festival gathering spots etc. etc.

I have learnt my lesson when you see those blag signs on major roads that indicate fuel/shelter/toilet etc. but when you come off the road there isn't another sign telling you which way any of this actually is, or how far. One of the most annoying things about driving in this country for me...

Advertisement