Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices to rise again!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gatster wrote:
    Slightly off topic, but why is this? There are plenty of fields next to most major roads with nothing in them, and they are excellent cash-cows/post-festival gathering spots etc. etc.
    Well, personally I'd prefer if service stations were kept off the motorways until it's possible to drive from Dublin to Cork (or Dublin to Donegal) without getting off the motorway. There's already enough chaos from people who don't understand the concept of the slip road, that adding in more slips for service stations would be a joke.

OK, I'm talking more about the M50, but thankfully there's little or no good land to stick service stations beside that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Hey Carb

Is that indo anywhere near me.

Service stations along the M1 would be a grand idea, the nearest thing is at the turn off for skerries two petrol stations down the road from it.

There is a place if your going from Drogheda to Laytown thats cheaper than the rest. Its on the N1.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

kluivert wrote:
    Hey Carb

Is that indo anywhere near me.

Its on the Ballybay road, a couple of mins out of Monaghan. Not sure what the prices are now. T. Martin Fuels or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gatster its to do with no need for service areas apparently! Or it was, the NRA have had a rethink and they'll be putting them in (in truth I suspect they just did'nt want any flat tarmaced area to become an instant "halting site").

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I had it in mind to open one, make a killing, open a couple more then sell out to Roadchef (or whoever it is in the UK that runs these dens of misery [as useful as they are]). Once I'd sold I planned to terrorise the countryside in a light aircraft bombing misleading road signs but I imagine I wouldn't have enough brown envelope power for any of this :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 petrolhead

As far as I know there was a ban on filling stations implementated by the National Roads Authority. The good news is that it's since been lifted and there are plans to build a super-centre on the M1 just after Balbriggan. About time too!

Just checked the NRA website and they've published a map of all the proposed rest stops. http://www.nra.ie/News/DownloadableDocumentation/file,2284,en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I heard some guy on the radio recently point out that Irish people are happy to pay €1.80 for a litre of brand name water that is no better than free tap water yet the whole country is up in arms when fuel prices rise above €1.10 per litre.

I know its not as straight forward as that but does make you think...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭maidhc

Savman wrote:
    I heard some guy on the radio recently point out that Irish people are happy to pay €1.80 for a litre of brand name water that is no better than free tap water yet the whole country is up in arms when fuel prices rise above €1.10 per litre.

I suppose if people drank 60L of that particular water every week they would have a different attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What bastard bumped this thread? I nearly got a heart attack when I saw "petrol prices set to rise again" on the front page.

:D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Now oil is at a 7 month low I wonder will we say petrol prices coming down again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I got a shock there for a minute.

They should go down more again but it depends on the state of the American economy.

Why everything is so dependent on the dollar is a joke.

Cos oil is priced in dollars!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 clarkwgriswold

That point about petrol being 1.10 or whatever per litre and water being more expensive is interesting. I'd thought about it before. Its actually even starker than that - oil comes from 3000m under the groung in a war zone (or some unstable part of the world), is refined at massive cost, shipped half way round the world and then subject to very high excise duties.
    Milk on other hand comes from a cow, probably within 30 miles from where you buy it, is pasteurised and sold. Throw in a bit of VAT too and its more expensive than oil. As is bottled water.
    So the point is that even at a notional 2 euro a litre, it would be cheap. (relatively) Lets stop going on about expensive oil is and consider how come its so inexpensive.
    I bet holy water is even more expensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I bet holy water is even more expensive...

Didn't know you could buy Holy Water! :D:D
    Thought it was just tap water blessed by the parish :o

Are ye right there Ted...

Bottled water is a rip-off in Ireland. In France it's something like 16c a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

tesco perthshire water is i think 28c per litre and lovely, tastes just like my grannies well/volvic (ie sandstoney)

www.watercard.ie

Gets me it for 23c a litre in any Tescos round the country ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭maidhc

Milk on other hand comes from a cow, probably within 30 miles from where you buy it, is pasteurised and sold. Throw in a bit of VAT too and its more expensive than oil.

Milk comes from a cow, but it costs a lot of money to get from the stage of having no cow to having milk. Milk is actually sold at the farm gate hideously cheap, although it seems to get much more expensive by the time it reaches the supermarket.

Advertisement