Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 08-08-2006 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

or what can I legally do? Story is, ok, I got a local builder to do some extensive renovations on my house, good chap got a good local reputation don't know about being registeted, blah blah. But we negotiated a price of about 60 thousand euros for the work. and so he began and did great work, honestly, had no probems with him or his lads, was always here and always on time. Paid him stage payments which was good too and now have about 9 grand left to pay him..trouble is I can't get him to finish the job. He overran here by about two weeks and he had another job lined up, he had his holidays and thought he would be finished here, so anyway, hes back now about 4 weeks and has started the bigger job but Im stuck! The work here is about 2 grands work and I can't do anything else like paint, or move stuff in or buy furniture, you know. New PVC front door is not sealed in and it's just filled in with this big yellow foamy stuff, same with two other windows in the house. Daughters room is still building site and there's stuff in the bathroom that needs finishing as with the whole front room which he quoted for and hasn't been back to even look at...! What do I do? Took today off because he faithfully promised he'd be here at 8.30! and guess what? Thing is I don't care anymore, I don't want to pay him anything and I don't want him back to finished the job. I can get a relative to do it for me only snag that I didn't use him in the first place is the distance he would have to travel to do it. There's only about 3 days total work to do and would cost about 2 grand so what do I do about the rest? If this guy comes looking for money I want to tell him to get lost and he can bloody sue me for it, If I have to get someone else to finished the job then I have to pay for it...but who's right?

Do I have to pay for work done already or am in in my right to withold the rest of the payment because of non-finishing of work, even though what I owe him includes work already done? No written contract by the way.
    Advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If I was you ,I'd get a quote for the work thats to be done and let the builder know what you've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

san01

Your a bit vague on the work being done. Did you have an architect/Engineer on the job? Does the work require a compliance cert? If you have an Arch/Engineer. he/she should be able to certify the cost of yours snag, then the builder has no come back. Tell me you didn't do this without an engineer/arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 san01

of course I did...no engineers no contract just a quote. i know this guy..I know his family I know where he lives/drinks.

the work done is great! couldn't fault it.. I couldn't call him a cowboy, it didn't involve any new building work it's not an extension or anything..just a major overhaul of what was here, floors, windows/doors, new kitchen, new bathroom plus all walls plastered, etc, etc, attic done,stuff llike that, I had no arguement re the price of the work.

He hasn't taken the money and run, he's just run without the money! It's basically a snag list now but I want to keep my money and not pay him the rest. Bad I know, but I'm pissed off, disappointed and Im wasting my days off from work waiting and arranging and Im not ringing/texting him anymore.
    How long more do I wait? I want to get someone else in to price the work but that's more hold ups and not to put a finer point on it, summers almost over and I've got GAPS!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Nobody here can give you legal advice i'm afraid, and I'm not going to leave this thread open to do so. Please check the charter regarding this type of request and other forums which may be able to help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement