Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMOG's

• 08-08-2006 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

Massively multiplayer offline games...

I am curious as to the possibility of running one of these common mmo's "offline"...

Example being Eve-Online...Is it possible to hold the content of Eve on a hard drive and play the game effectively as a single player game.

I assume the power of their servers is to combat the massive demands that 1000's of client connections and also client actions (fighting/buying/selling/etc) put on the servers. So if you dumbed it down to one user would such power not be needed to the extent where you could share it among a couple of pc's or even one?

There are so many angles on this but essentially the goal is the same. To connect to the game and be only non NPC in the game.

This is not meant to circumvent any EULA or law, I'm just really curious.

Discuss...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Hmm, maybe something revolving around a p2p type setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Discuss...

Well first off this is the wrong forum, try ohh I don't know, games maybe.

Discuss...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

yes its possibly and its against the law to run mmo's emus on your pc

your basically making a private server anthen playing it on your own, which is highly illegal...i used to play wow like that, then i bought the real game, its boring without other players tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Discuss...

Well first off this is the wrong forum, try ohh I don't know, games maybe.

Discuss...

Discussing reverse engineering a server doesn't belong in the computers/technology forum?

Posting it in that forum with technical questions in order to grab the attention and replies of technically minded people instead of gamers who may not be technically minded doesnt make sense?

Well done...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

id have to agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Minions of Mirth, the game I posted about in another thread, actually allows the game to be played on your own off-line. I think you can bring a party of characters all under your control. It also allows you to set up your own private server for yourself and your friends. I'm not fully sure what the point of playing completely off-line is though - the whole point of mmorpgs is to play with other people. If you want a single player role playing experience get Oblivion.

Advertisement