Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards member is scamming us out of a grand

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Welll...basically...

The guards said that there was nothing they could do and that the main course of action was to go to the Ombudsman of consumer affairs. The guard wasnt quite sure the best action to take but said it would take weeks or months for the gardai to do anything. He said he would put the details on the system but that he wouldnt hold out much hope. He also said the banks are very slow to give them any info.

Also, another user called Sparky said that he bought a phone from Optikus and never received it.

Lovely stuff isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Lundi
    The original seller had over 1,000 posts and was therefore deemed to be a "long time member of boards and would considered a person of good character and have a history".

Post count and time spent here is meaningless.

Btw don't banks have fraud sections? You could try give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It happens - it's the internet. it's up to you to ensure that you have full details of a person who you are dealing directly with, or else use a third party to guarantee the payment.

Complaining here, while probably relieving stress/warning others is not really going to help, especially if the admins/smods are already investigating this issue.
    You have to push this with the Gardai and/or other people with the authority to legally investigate these issues.

<edit>For the record, I'm pretty sure I have dealt with Optikus in the past with no problems</edit>

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

i think it may worthwhile reporting to HIS local garda station as he may already be known to local gardai,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

My stomach dropped when I read this thread. I only recently bought a phone from this Optikus lad. A Sony Ericsson K750i, despite a little apprehension, I bank transferred him the money. A couple of days later, I had a shiny, brand new SE K750i in my pocket. Had no hassle with Optikus at all and would have wholeheartedly endorsed dealing with him again.

How long ago did you pay Optikus for these tickets? When does Electric Picnic begin? When was the last time you heard from the seller? Are you sure he hasn't been run over by a bus or something?

I think I still have the box which he sent the phone in, I'll check for a return address and will assist the Gardaí in their enquiries in any way possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

bth, I had a similar issue with someone not from boards but in the Web where I never received anything back after transferring money to them.
    I got in touch with my local Branch and they pulled the money back for me.
    have you tried contacting your bank locally about it, I odn't mean the telephone banking, they can't do much anyway.

good luck on this as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Aw man one of the people who has been 'scammed' cough allegedly is a friend of mine who I berrated to sign up to boards for ages. he eventually does and on his very fist transaction he's get conned allegedly.
    Man if this optikus dude doesn't sort this out I am going to trace him down and make sure he brought accountable for this, he has a tsb account and I have a friend who works in the tsb on grafton st so an address won't be too hard to come by. My friend was told his tickets were in the post, what is this guy at?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Same thing happened to me. I'm sure it's not an honest mistake for 4 reasons:

1. He advertised 3 tickets yet "sold" 7 (at least)
    2. He gave me a false mobile number.
    3. He told all concerned that he had posted the tickets, none arrived (too much of a coincedence)
    4. 2 weeks later he sent a pm saying "It's not my fault if tickets didnt arrive check the post office" - In other words P*** off you **** youve been had and theres nothing you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

stevejazzx wrote:
    Man if this optikus dude doesn't sort this out I am going to trace him down and make sure he brought accountable for this, he has a tsb account and I have a friend who works in the tsb on grafton st so an address won't be too hard to come by. My friend was told his tickets were in the post, what is this guy at?

so in other words, you are going to let your friend do an illegal act for you so you can go and bring this up where? :confused:

you do of course realise that your mate is risking his job and possible prosecution if he gives you those details?

there are procedures for things like this to be sorted I would HIGHLY recommend you guys to contact your local branches for advice on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

How long ago did you pay Optikus for these tickets? When does Electric Picnic begin? When was the last time you heard from the seller? Are you sure he hasn't been run over by a bus or something?
    [\QUOTE]

Paid him for the tickets a little over 3 weeks ago, he said they were in the post - registered post at that - 10 days ago which was the last PM I received. No response to any PM after that from me, the other users he "sold" them to, or even the Moderator of the forum.

I'm still holding out hope that there is a genuine misunderstanding about this but after hearing adrians story I seriously doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

registered post at that

He would have a record then and An Post would be able to trace it.

Gilgamesh wrote:
    so in other words, you are going to let your friend do an illegal act for you so you can go and bring this up where? :confused:

you do of course realise that your mate is risking his job and possible prosecution if he gives you those details?

there are procedures for things like this to be sorted I would HIGHLY recommend you guys to contact your local branches for advice on this matter.

yeah you're totally right, just a very frustrating affair altogether, especially if it is what it seems to be and its actually a purposeful con from the begining, but we'll wait to see what happens offically first, my mate is down 360, ouch!

I think it would actually be worth hiring a lawyer to get the money back. I know it probably cost all of what we would get back but better that than letting him have it.

I'll drop down to the bank tomorrow and see what they say, but I doubt they will be able to do anything after this time.
    Another thing to note is that he hasnt signed in to boards since 31/07.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

adrian522 wrote:
    I think it would actually be worth hiring a lawyer to get the money back. I know it probably cost all of what we would get back but better that than letting him have it.

I'll drop down to the bank tomorrow and see what they say, but I doubt they will be able to do anything after this time.
    Another thing to note is that he hasnt signed in to boards since 31/07.

Considering so many of you seem to have been affected by this you should probably all work together and goto the police. As the OP said it would take months but that was just one claim,

IF there are numerous complaints it should be taken more seriously. Ticket tout's fund terrorism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i've been ripped off by a boards.ie member for 60euro before...a concert ticket again.

trust on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jimi_t , it just sucks balls, hope someone finds out who this tosser is and he's brought to justice.
    If it was sent register post, surely there is a trail to follow ?

If you can track that down would go to the Gardai just say you were robbed and you wish to press charges, hard for them to ignore it when put in such black and white terms.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Can i get a link to the original advert for concert tickets, since I find it hard to believe that he agreeded to sell to more people then he had tickets? Unless you or other users went and tried to deal off thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Here is the post.

Mods, I didn't see a problem with posting the link, if you feel I shouldn't have, please feel free to delete.

I've bought and sold a few stuff here, but I'd only meet up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Doesn't pyrogenx know who Optikus is?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=191626

Granted that's an old thread but they seem to know each other outside of Boards. So is Pyrogenx still about? Maybe he could shed some light on where Optikus is/who he is/what he's up to.

Doesn't pyrogenx know who Optikus is?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=191626

Granted that's an old thread but they seem to know each other outside of Boards. So is Pyrogenx still about? Maybe he could shed some light on where Optikus is/who he is/what he's up to.

Just checked and and pyro was logged in yesterday
    Should a mod pm him?, shame to have to get involved but I imagaine if optikus has been over at his house (as per thread) and pyro knows him then that s the best looking remedy thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jimi_t wrote:
    Welll...basically...

The guards said that there was nothing they could do and that the main course of action was to go to the Ombudsman of consumer affairs. The guard wasnt quite sure the best action to take but said it would take weeks or months for the gardai to do anything. He said he would put the details on the system but that he wouldnt hold out much hope. He also said the banks are very slow to give them any info.

Ah aren't the Guards a bunch of ignorant eejits. What has this got to do with the Ombudsman of consumer affairs? This scammer isn't a shop, he's one guy who's allegedly defrauded several people out of a lot of money.

If all those who've been allegedly defrauded club together and contact the police i'm sure they'll do something. They are probably more likely to do something about defrauding citizens out of 1500 euro rather than one person having 175 euro stolen from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

krazy_8s wrote:
    Unless you or other users went and tried to deal off thread?

I want an answer to this question.

eth0_ wrote:
    Ah aren't the Guards a bunch of ignorant eejits. What has this got to do with the Ombudsman of consumer affairs? This scammer isn't a shop, he's one guy who's allegedly defrauded several people out of a lot of money.

If all those who've been allegedly defrauded club together and contact the police i'm sure they'll do something. They are probably more likely to do something about defrauding citizens out of 1500 euro rather than one person having 175 euro stolen from them.

Yeah thats right just rang head office and they said it is definitely a garda matter, that all the parties should choose a garda station and present themselves and all the evidence, i.e bank transfer records etc. and maybe the transcript from the original thread and that the Gardai would be obliged by law to look into the matter.

Garda Headquarters telephone number is 01 - 6660000

If you know the five digit extension number of the person/section that you are contacting, then you can dial directly by prefixing this with '66'

The Telephone number for Harcourt Square is 01 - 4755555.

The following Sections are located there :
    Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation

If you bothered to look at the original thread.Jimi_t was the one on the thread who was offered them.the others could have been doing off thread dealing though but jimi_t was legit.

So you've had zero contact with him since transferring the money?

I'd be a little careful here, about 2 years ago i bought a data cable off someone on an English forum, he e-mailed me upon reciept of the funds and said he would send it on monday (it was a friday), I expected him to e-mail when he had sent it, but nothing came. I waited a week, and nothing arrived, so i sent him an e-mail, and another, and another...

7 weeks later...

His wife phones me, and says she's really sorry for the delay, but that her husband was in a car accident and he was in traction in the hospital so he had no access to his computer. He asked her to check his e-mails and she found about 15 from me.

4 days later i had my cable.

Sometimes, people going missing for a legitimate reason.

(PS i know that the wife calling was telling the truth, as about 3 months later, her husband was back posting on the electronics board, he posted up a global apology and then uploaded some pictures of his written-off car)

What happened was that I (and presumably others) put a message saying that if the offers above fall through I will take the tickets. Subsequent to this I received a PM from the seller saying the others had fallen through and did I want a ticket. As far as I know this is legit, or perhaps the seller should make the offer on the thread? I'm unsure what the procedure is though I certainly did not PM the seller off thread if that is what is being suggested.

If you bothered to look at the original thread.Jimi_t was the one on the thread who was offered them.the others could have been doing off thread dealing though but jimi_t was legit.

eh am I missing something?

jimi t look s like was fourth in line, and has only one post in the thread so would of had deal off thread to conclude sale? No? Apologies if I'm missing something ....

1.Static M.e
    2.TGC
    3.Jayhaitch
    4.jimi_t

looks like most (if not all) dealt off thread to conclude sales

Author

Static M.e.

Ill take one please

I can meet you on Saturday or Sunday in Athlone, will be driving through

TGC

I'll take the other two and pay for postage.

I'll PM your details now.

Jayhaitch

I'll take one or all 3
    Can meet in Dublin

Jayhaitch

apologies. will pay postage

electrixx

I'll take one & will pay postage if they fall through.. thanks

Optikus

Provisionaly Sold to static, TCG and Jayhaitch... just waiting on payment, if none is recieved by mon then Jay and electrixx can have the rest.

jimi_t

I'll take as many as are left - can pay by whatever you want. Could pay by 6pm this evening via Paypal if needed

Optikus

Offer noted Jimi, but i don't have paypal, would have to be meet up or bank transferr.

caitcait

I'll take two adn could meet in Athlone at some stage, if they are still available?

adrian522

Hi,
    I'll take one if any are still availalbe...Can Bank Transfer the Cash..

Bacchus

Hey, I'm from Athone.
    I'll take 1 (or 2) if you still have any left.

Thanks,
    Bacchus

rosie_and_jim

I'll take both if you're still looking to sell - money can be in your account today!

Redshift

Optikus; Please respond to my PM urgenty and contact your buyers.

TGC

REPLY TO MY PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm imaging alot of off thread dealing so ban them all.

On thread off thread doesn't matter anyway some of them were newbies so....
    The important is that they get their money back and that optikus gets caught if he has defrauded them

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    I'm imaging alot of off thread dealing so ban them all.

ban for being defrauded?
    *does basil fawlty impression*This is exactly how nazi germany started....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement