Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards member is scamming us out of a grand

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

6th wrote:
    I want an answer to this question.

What has any of this got to do with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

stevejazzx wrote:
    Just checked and and pyro was logged in yesterday
    Should a mod pm him?, shame to have to get involved but I imagaine if optikus has been over at his house (as per thread) and pyro knows him then that s the best looking remedy thus far.

Can Pyro be left out of this? Ok He seems to know or did know Optikus, but thats about it, I can see him getting dragged down unfairly, in this when he's not even involved.

Let a mod pm me, and then lets leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

It should go through the garda now and agree pyro should be involved as litlle as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I wouldn't let him off the hook so quickly by doing this through boards. Goto the police, the guy will do it again otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

fade2black wrote:
    What has any of this got to do with you?

Its on a public forum, if it was for people to give opinions then it should be sorted out in private.

As it is i feel sorry for those ripped off (if thats whats happened) but i they broke boards rules in doing so should the fact that they may have been defrauded stop them from getting the same punishment many others have gotten?

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    Its on a public forum, if it was for people to give opinions then it should be sorted out in private.

As it is i feel sorry for those ripped off (if thats whats happened) but i they broke boards rules in doing so should the fact that they may have been defrauded stop them from getting the same punishment many others have gotten?

You're demanding answers to questions that are simply nothing to do with you. This is why these forums have moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm demanding nothing.

I really hope there is a reasonable explaination for the sellers actions, but until we hear from him we wont know. I've only bought for cash on here but i'd have probably trusted him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Comon, lets keep this friendly, lets focus on whats is important here and not what mistakes may or may not have been made.

If you must criticise, at the very least be constructive about it.

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jayhaitch

I'm one of the people who paid for two tickets and not received any.(Feeling INCREDIBLY stupid by the way)
    The seller told me that the first guy fell through and a second ticket was available.

I'm under the impression that other people were told the same thing by PM and as such there no off thread activity as the seller said if anything fell through he would go in order

6th wrote:
    I want an answer to this question.

Sounds a lot like a demand to me.

Anyway...apologies to OP...hope you get a successful outcome to all of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Jayhaitch wrote:
    I'm one of the people who paid for two tickets and not received any.(Feeling INCREDIBLY stupid by the way)
    The seller told me that the first guy fell through and a second ticket was available.

I'm under the impression that other people were told the same thing by PM and as such there no off thread activity as the seller said if anything fell through he would go in order

Well I said I'd take all he had left but that I'd prefer to pay via paypal (as he said on the thread) - a straight up, on-thread offer. I PMd him saying that I could probably get a bank transfer together but that it would take a day or two - and I assured him that I had cash waiting and had a decent trading record on boards [sic]. He PMd me back saying that that was fine. It wasn't exactly off-thread but I suppose the confirmation could have been clearer on-thread.

A quasi-infringement of the charter really isn't the issue, however. The issue is a serious case of pre-meditated fraud against boards members.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support so far guys

Longfield wrote:
    For real life stuff contact the real life mods - aka the Gardai.

:D:D:D:D

*My mum'd be so proud

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tbh I asked about the off thread dealing and was right, did none of you find it odd that the Op never posted publicy saying that the buyer pulled out and hes selling to the next in line? If he contacted through pm rather than the thread, thats off thread dealing and you responding to it without publicly stating it. Thats what caused this mess. This is one of the reasons why the rule is there.

If you had stuck to charter rules, odds are you would still have your money. I hope its a lesson learned. As for the first 2 posters, you stood no chance.

I'm sorry that he screwed you, and having put upwards of 600euro into people's accounts on boards myself I hope this never happens to me. And I have also bought off Opticus in the past. Please keep us informed as to how the authourites handle this, as I genuinley want to know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I went to the athorities last Friday saying this had happened to four people (I didnt know about the other two then) I had everyones real name and contact number and the exact sequence of events but the Garda just didnt want to know. Perhaps would be better gong straight to Fraud or Computer crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

krazy_8s wrote:
    If you had stuck to charter rules, odds are you would still have your money. I hope its a lesson learned.
    I agree with this. One of the reasons that rule is there (in my experience) is to prevent this kind of thing.
    It still doesn't excuse this problem, but it shows how a little bit of prudence could go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

*applause*

This has just got interesting again!:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good work fuzzbot. Stamp out scammers. Loving the sig btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

At last a possible result for the buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Well done FuzzyLogic!
    Someone buy that boardie a beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Congrats for getting the address, however Willow Park is a huge area in Athlone and most of it is rented out to students as college accommodation. So I wouldn't go breaking out the champagne yet...
    You'd need a street name at least to narrow it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I can't believe the cops won't do anything about this...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Or the small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dark Hair

With the greatest respect to all involved I think this thread should be linked in the Adverts charter at the spot where it mentions "No Off Thread Dealing" (Or should that be "we advise no off thread dealing"?)

Also in this case it should be treated in an ebay manner...... Off thread wheeling and dealing = Off site wheeling and dealing.

As much as scammer are detested it is buyer beware, ever more so in this electronic white light age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Cy Kotic

Sleepy wrote:
    I can't believe the cops won't do anything about this...

I can. A lot of people think if something illegal happens or they have a problem they can just go to the Guards and they will sort it out. I had this naive view of the system once myself. I never had any dealings with the guards or needed them untill something happened a few years ago. I won't go in to the details, but it was a very serious incident which went on over a period of time. Basically, they only went through the motions of dealing with the situation. Eventually somebody close to me ended up being killed. Unless you have some influence or power, just forget it, your're on your own. Nobody wants to know, especially the guards. As it happens the person who murdered my friend is walking the streets now after serving about 5 years. So don't be so naive as to think the guards give a **** about some mickey mouse scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Since your complaints aren't really getting you results, I'm going to offer an alternate route to getting your tickets/money.

FuzzyLogic that's way out of order, whatever the Optikus has or hasn't done, posting his personnal details here or anywhere else is not on.
    Yes, I know I am gonna get abuse for that but someone had to point it out.

gillo wrote:
    FuzzyLogic that's way out of order, whatever the Optikus has or hasn't done, posting his personnal details here or anywhere else is not on.
    Yes, I know I am gonna get abuse for that but someone had to point it out.
    OPTIKUS brought this on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

OPTIKUS brought this on himself.
    The off thread dealing didn't contribute to this situation at all then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Dark Hair wrote:
    With the greatest respect to all involved I think this thread should be linked in the Adverts charter at the spot where it mentions "No Off Thread Dealing" (Or should that be "we advise no off thread dealing"?)

It certainly should be put up as the dangers of off-thread dealing.

In future if someone says the other person has cancelled they should say this publically. That way the other person has a chance to point out the scam.

If the police won't do anything, what about a solicitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would put money on the fact that 1 or 2 of the users paid more then the 181euro advertised as well. Opticus took advantage of a situation that would not have arose had the users kept it on thread.

Now heres a question?

How many users/victoms did he scam?
    How much did each victom pay?
    How many of them can see how responding to pms about tickets that are on sale publicly was the worst possible thing they could have done?

Even one quick public post from a victom stating did the others really drop out and why, would have stopped this thing dead in its tracks.

Yes optikus screwed the system and took peoples money, but everybody besides the first 2 posters abused the rules and are now suffering for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement