Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards member is scamming us out of a grand

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How many users/victims did he scam? - 4
    How much did each victim pay? 3 paid for 2 tickets (362) 1 paid for 1 ticket (181).
    How many of them can see how responding to pms about tickets that are on sale publicly was the worst possible thing they could have done? Thats not actually what happened if you look at the thread again. The same thing happened to people who dealt on thread. everybody replied to the ticket offer on thread. Then were contacted afterwards by PM. As far as I am aware that is the correct procedure. Perhaps we should have walked away at that point but that did not happen as we really wanted to go to this gig. I wouldsuggest that most people would have done the same.

I dont see how any of this is "abusing the rules" as you put it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

OPTIKUS brought this on himself.
    Yes, and he has been found guilty in the court of public opinion, how could that possibly make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

I'm reasonably sure i'm being stupid here, but, if someone essentially robs money off you, as is being alleged in this thread; how can the gardai ignore the issue?

If you track down the guy, it'll be a fairly simple and straightforward small claims court case providing you can get a definite link between the poster and the actual real-life person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Small Claims court only works when you are a consumer and the person is a business selling goods or services in the course of trade.

What you would need to do is go to the district court (since the claim is for less then €6,350). The problem is proving that the OPTIKUS is the person who's name and address was mentioned above. If satisfactory proof of this was obtained legitamitley then you can issue a summons for breach of contract and have it served upon him directly.

If not however the logical course would to take proceedings against his bank and seek an order of discovery to divulge who the account owner is. and then serve the summons upon him.

If he contests the claim, you go in front of a district court judge who hears the case. If he agrees with your side he can award damages and costs. If this person then refuses to payup the judgement you can apply for a writ of garnishee to have any debts owed to him by third parties handed over to you (such as bank balances or wages from employer), can have a judgement mortgage registered against any real property, and can have a writ of fiori facas (not sure if spelling right) which would direct the county sheriff to seize the debtor's personal property and sell it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

gabhain7 wrote:
    Small Claims court only works when you are a consumer and the person is a business selling goods or services in the course of trade.

I stand corrected. It was against a business that i went to the small claims court in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

which sort code and account number did you pay into?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

bounty wrote:
    which sort code and account number did you pay into?

Don't even think of answering that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

whats the sort code then, at least?

His name, address, number and image had allready been posted. There is absolutley no justiifcation to post anything more especially his bank details.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A sort code, is not a personal detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It's nobody's business what his bank sort code is though. There's no reason to post it other than for ****s and giggles. Which is a bit pathetic really.

Enough is enough, let the appropriate people deal with this if they can.

It's not for other boardsies who have absolutely nothing to do with this to interfere. You're not helping anyone. Some of you have this incredible desire to stick your oar in when it's not wanted, or needed.

A sort code, is not a personal detail.

It tells where his bank account is, I'd say thats personnal enough.

Maybe it needs to be spelt out, with his name, address and bank details there is a massive potential for fraud.

Yes, I know he is alegded to have commited fraud, but for the love of god lets show a bit of maturity, then again it's already past the watershed is there anyone left here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A fistful of reading in this thread and I have to say it was interesting up to the point of where a members details have been posted up in public.

If this guy who allegedly commited fraud was found guilty in a court of law then it would be fair enough to post all details but as stated in one post here the guy could be laid up or have some genuine reason for not responding although that is doubtful.

I think the entire matter should be left to the Gardai to deal with as there is a risk of comments posted here being prejudicial to any future prosecution.

I think this thread should be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thread closed - No need to post persoanl info.

Take it to the legal forum, is it theft? is it fraud, whats the best way to approach it, talk to the guards, take a civil case.

Once its proven who the fraudster is, we can look at how we can inform other Board users to avoid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement