Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Network Card

• 08-08-2006 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi guys, this is probably a stupid question but bear with me.

I have to buy a laptop which meets a certain minimum requirement. Inluded in these is a wireless card which is 802.11b Compliant, a 100Mbps LAN Card with RJ45 type connection and PCMCIA type II.

So now for the stupid part..... does a wireless card (say like one you'd find on a new dell) have an integrated 10/100 Network card or do you have to get both?

I ask this because I see no mention of 10/100 network cards in the specs of the laptaps available from dell nor can they be added in the "customise" section.

As far as the PCMIA is concerned would all new laptops have the appropriate card reader for this or not?

I would greatly appreciate any help, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Usually a laptop will come with a 10/100 network connection, it's very rare (if ever anymore) that they don't. The wireless connection and the wired connection are completely separate. They're two separate adapters using two separate chipsets (for all intents and purposes). So the existence of one does not assume/require the existence of the other.

PCMCIA isn't necessarily a de facto include on a laptop, but again it would quite rare that they wouldn't have one.

Find the Dell laptop you want and show us, and we'll tell you if it's sufficiently specced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Unless pcmia is on the specs, sheet the laptop doesnt have it, i dont think its possible to buy a dell laptop, without a 10/100mps lan ethernet connection, looks like a larger phone socket.Even if you dont have intregrated wifi,you can buy usb 2.0 802.11b/g wireless wifi card 54megs/per second ,marxpcs are selling 2 for 50euro.Works in any pc or laptop.I think alot of laptops are going for 3/4 usb 2.o slots,just as fast as pcmia slot.Look at dell.ie home notebooks.Unless you have bought pcmia periherhals you wont,need it ,unless you are doing very specific scientific testing,or pc analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Be aware that some new Dells are coming with ExpressCard slots not CardBus. PCMCIA is 16 bit, CardBus 32 bit but backwards compatible with PCMCIA and the ExpressCard is compatible with neither of them.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Idoubtit

Thanks for the helpful responses. I was looking at the Dell InspironTM 6400.
    I see that this has an express card slot but as far as I can see all the new Dells do. I need the laptop for a masters course (alot of heavy stats, maths and some programming) so I dunno if the PCMCIA is needed or not. Windows XP Professional is another "requirement", might this be because Home edition wouldn't be able to hook up to the Univesity network?

The product details are as follows.

Processor : Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology: up to Intel® CoreTM Duo Processor T2500 (2.0GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) & Intel® Pro/Wireless 3945 (802.11a/b/g) network connection

Operating Systems: Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    Genuine Windows® XP Professional
    Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Display: Choice of 15.4-inch Wide screen displays in WXGA resolution, WXGA TrueLifeTM resolution or WSXGA+ with TrueLifeTM

Video Graphics: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950TM integrated graphics with up to 224MB shared system memory

Wireless Connectivity Solutions: Integrated Dual-Band (802.11 a/b) antenna. Integrated DellTM Wireless 1390 (802.11b/g) or Intel® Pro/Wireless 3945 (802.11a/b/g) network connections. The Dell Wireless 350TM integrated Bluetooth 2.0 wireless solution is available as optional upgrade at time of purchase only

Battery Life: Be productive for up to 5 hours without re-charging your batteries

Design: Artic Silver and Alpine White design incorporating a 5-1 card reader and front-access multimedia buttons

Memory: Up to 2GB of 533 DDR 2 SDRAM provides for excellent overall system performance

Optical drives: Your choice of CD-RW/DVD Combo drive or 8x DVD+/-RW1(supports double layer technology)

Software: Microsoft® WorksTM including Works word processor, spreadsheet, database, calendar and My Projects organiser

Weight: Starting from 2.8 kg (6.18 lbs) with CD-RW/DVD Combo drive and 6-Cell Battery and integrated graphics

QuickSnap Colour Display (LCD) Back: Choose from four different stylish colours to personalise your notebook

Express card slot: This system uses an ExpressCard Slot which does not support any cards available for PC Card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Re: Xp Pro, yeah its coz the Home edition lacks the extras in the OS to allow it to join a domain so therefore you will have to have XP Pro as your OS.

Re: Express Card slot, dunno, ring the college and ask why they had a PCMCIA slot as a prerequisite (if I'm understanding the situation correctly)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement