Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My New Site

Options
  • 08-08-2006 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Ok, i've just got my new site up and running http://www.mybosslied.com. Any views on it or thoughts on improvements?

The home page is the new layout im about to put through the whole site.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I like it.
    You will need to moderate posts properly as it could be a solicitors wet dream. Maybe get posters to tick an "I agree to the T&Cs" box.

404@ www.mybosslied.com/mybosslied_website/mybosslied_website/write_job_review.php from www.mybosslied.com/mybosslied_website/terms_and_conditions.php

Some simple HTML errors: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybosslied.com%2F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Watch the legal side, maybe rate my teacher has it covered.

An excellent concept, I can see it getting huge.

I'd put less whitespace in each submission, compact the titles to one line, and if possible the full text of Boss Description and User Description. That way you can enjoy a number of them straight off, rather than a bit of each one and having to click in to get the full story.

Have you thought about inviting unions to advertise? Would seem an ideal recruitment ground...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Concept is great. Homepage could do with some "web 2.0"'ing - if you know what I mean. Not the easiest site to read quickly.

It should do well though, if you can keep the legal side quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I don't think you are in too much trouble legally. No-one is specifically referring to their managers or companies, just the general sector that they work in. However, it is still a good idea to have some kind of Ts & Cs to cover you just in case.

I like the idea, I'm not keen on the design. I would push the focus off Search and Write (push those controls into a column on the left or right), and keep it on the job reviews themselves. I think The Daily WTF? does that quite well.

Also, I saw there were 6 reviews in the database, but I can only see the 5 most recent ones. I don't want to have to search just to find the next job review. You should do the homepage similar to the way StyleBoost handles it. Once a job is dropped from the homepage there should be a next button to see the next 5 / 10 jobs etc.

An RSS feed of the latest job reviews would be a nice feature too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Nice idea.

I'd make make the legal side of it clear ie. not referring to a company or person in any manner which would make them identifiable.

You should also spell check the site - there are some basic spelling mistakes in your current T & C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Thanks lads,

I have set it up now that you must accept the terms & conditions before you can post a review or reply to a review. Next step, work on the actual content of the Terms & Conditions :D

I did a spell check on the terms & conditions but nothing came up accept "web site" to "website", i never know which one it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's actually grammatical / spelling:
    Therefore you acknowledge that all Job Reviews and Reply's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Next step, work on the actual content of the Terms & Conditions :D

I would instead suggest going to a solicitor with experience in drawing up T&C's. It will be expensive, but when the legal threats start flying you will be glad you spent the money.

fintan wrote:
    I would instead suggest going to a solicitor with experience in drawing up T&C's. It will be expensive, but when the legal threats start flying you will be glad you spent the money.

Im going to monitor every post for a while anyway and if it takes off i'll have to look into something like that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

good luck with it anyway.
    Out of curiosity, how are you going to promote it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

http://www.mybosslied.com/mybosslied_images/8_2.jpg

looks a bit "grubby" (due to JPG compression), maybe try generating a GIF (though not from the JPG!) or a better quality JPG...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

All the text seems to be the same font size. Suggest you use a larger size for headings, etc.

mambo wrote:
    All the text seems to be the same font size. Suggest you use a larger size for headings, etc.

Good point, just bumped it up a notch.

Advertisement