Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom with Linksys

• 08-08-2006 7:02pm

Hi,

I have had eircom brodaband for the last year, and everythign has been smooth, no problems, yesterday i bought the Linksys double pack in pc world. (WAG354G wifi router with the WPC54G notebook adaptor)

I succesfully installed this and now have it up and running.

Unfortunately i am having some slight problems. For instance, my broadband is now not "always-on" and prompts me to connect each time i load up the PC.

This means that unless somebody has switched on the internet on the PC that the laptop cannot connect, as it does not have the facility to Dial-up separately.

I am quite good with computers, but when it comes to networking i'm not the most up to date.

At the moment i have 2 connections open "Cayman Broadband" which is the eircom connection, but which needs to be switched on each time, and my LAN connection to the notebook which is always on.

So basically, i need help in turning my eircom connection back into an always on connection, and also i need to have it so that the laptop can connect to the net without the computer being on.

All help appreciated

Emmet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ok, try this...

go into a browser and type 192.168.1.1
    put in username and password
    after you do that you're brought to the Setup >> basic setup page.

under the heading PPPoE Settings make sure that "Keep Alive: Redial Period" is ticked. i have a figure of 20 seconds in there but that was just router default.

Thanks for the help...

but

""
    The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond.
    ""

so i cant try your idea.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

What does it say the default gateway address is in the manual? Once you have that hit the reset button on the back of the router and type the address into IE or firefox. Are you sure the model numbers not WAG54G?

100% sure i'm afraid

here's the link to the package

http://pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=909&image=Networking

Still not got this working...

can now connect to the router though, attached are 2 status pages..

Anybody got any tips on how to keep my connection alive?
    i have managed to set up the laptop to be always connected, but not the computer, which makes me think i have my network set up wrong?

• Advertisement

anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

re try the settings under the dsl connection tab,

or do it this way, turn off the dhcp server on the linksys router, plug a lan cable from you router to a lan connection on the linksys ( not the gateway )

The Linskys is the router and the gateway...

Anybody got anything else to add?

I'm still having to "dial up" the broadband connection on the PC each time i want to use the internet.

This means going to the control panel, finding "cayman broadband" under network connections, right clicking on it and pressing connect.

Not that much hassle, but an annoying twist to setting up a wireless network.

Anybody help alleviate this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Anybody got anything else to add?

I'm still having to "dial up" the broadband connection on the PC each time i want to use the internet.

This means going to the control panel, finding "cayman broadband" under network connections, right clicking on it and pressing connect.

Not that much hassle, but an annoying twist to setting up a wireless network.

Anybody help alleviate this problem?
    Uninstall the Cayman crap altogether - the whole point of using a router is that it does the "dial in for you", and nobody has used the Caymand "dialer" in years (since eircom started to supply routers instead of modems, 2 or 3 years ago).

Access the web interface on the Linksys. Go to the Basic Setup tab. Make sure that the Internet Connection type is set to RFC 2516 PPPoE. This will present a screen where you enter the username and password that you've been entering into the cayman client.

I presume you have the other settings already set up, or you wouldn't be able to connect at all. If you do need to check any other settings, go to http://support.eircom.net a click Broadband in the left hand column.

• Advertisement

This seems to be working now, thanks a million Foxwood!

Advertisement