Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts bar on the Instruments board?

Options
  • 08-08-2006 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

What the hell? This bar doesn't seem to be on any other board, but it's appearing on Instruments. What gives?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Theres one on Computers/Technology.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

We're selling out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

That looks so weird.

You should drop it where Threads in Forum begins. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

There's one in the Literature board too, but oddly enough, not one in the mobiles forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ecksor wrote:
    We're selling out!

Being bloody annoying more like. I for one don't like ads shoved in my face. For shame I say!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I don't like things messying up my forum. Get rid of KH for a start :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Fear the change!

Karl Hungus will be getting a rag soaked in chloroforum shoved in his face, and he'll like it.

ecksor wrote:
    Karl Hungus will be getting a rag soaked in chloroforum shoved in his face, and he'll like it.

Oh boy! Will you be wearing your 6" heels this time Mistress Ecksor? :D

Karl Hungus Whore just doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Advertisement

So seriously though, why are we getting ads shoved in our faces on certain forums? It's one thing on the main page, but this is a whole other cookie.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, it instantly defeats what myself and Doctor J have been trying to do for the past year - keep the Instruments forum ad free. Bad form tbh.

I didn't realise this was on the Feedback forum actually, I thought it was on the Mod forum.

Anyway, this is all new and a proof of concept rather than a reflection of some grand boards policy to annoy you. All feedback is welcome and will be considered while we fiddle around with this stuff.

ecksor wrote:
    I didn't realise this was on the Feedback forum actually, I thought it was on the Mod forum.

Savour this while you can regular forum goers! A brief look at ecksor as he is behind closed doors; all chloroform and 6" heels! :p

I thought it was the weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I'll get my mincer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Eurgh, me no like... widens the page with something I won't read.
    Pff, I know adverts.ie is there if I want to look for something... don't need it as a side-bar personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Perhaps it ought to be some fancy AJAX thing that can vanish / reappear at a click, and remember your preferences. Will you have it ready by thursday Asok?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

WORK INTERN WORK

and stop invading poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Regi wrote:
    Perhaps it ought to be some fancy AJAX thing that can vanish / reappear at a click, and remember your preferences. Will you have it ready by thursday Asok?

TBH it would look better in the header beside the forumHome logo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Not liking the adverts box myself. It's too big for a start and spoils the overall look of the page. Also don't like how some forums are lumbered with it and not others. I can understand the point of showing computer ads on the computer forum and tickets on the gigs one, but I still feel it should be on all or nothing. Preferably nothing.

If we are to have the adverts box, I'd prefer it to be smaller (shorter). Prehaps the ads can scroll upin a loop? Or that it picks a random ad to display each time along with a pic of the product?

Anyway just some feedback. I'm aware it's an experiment and will change over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

It's a good idea but could be implemented in a better way, possibly:

1) When you minimise the adverts table, allow the main vB table to expand to fill the screen as it does when the bar is not there.

2) Get rid of the vertical bar, and make it horizontal. Possibly marquee-ish to reduce screen real-estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Wasn't this showing up on the left hand side of the screen for a time yesterday? I thought it looked better there. Less intrusive and easier to ignore.

Either that or I'm imagining things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭jlang

When did the adverts down the side of the Motors>Motors page come from? I'm noting in particular that there's at least two stickys about how ads selling cars are strictly verboten in this forum. Can we turn off these ads and reclaim the window space as forum space? Apologies if this should be in the feedback forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes it should be in the feedback forum and its a good question to ask so I'll move it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What's the point in promoting adverts.ie to the detriment of user experience on boards.ie?

Is it planned to try and use adverts.ie as a revenue stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

implusebuyarific!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im not a fan of the integration of adverts on boards. The new bar on the right hand side is definitely a step too far imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Very ugly and distracting, even when minimised.. if the important stuff could fill the white-space when the ad bar is minimised it would be almost tolerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Possibly marquee-ish to reduce screen real-estate.
    Like a scrolling marquee? Please god no!

Advertisement