Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Laws

Options
  • 08-08-2006 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Tell me about your gun laws. I am in the USA so I don't have a clue.

Here we can have Pistols and carry them loaded in many states. Rifles, shotguns and pistols can be owned by anyone that is not a felon in most states.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Here firearms arent that readily available and the vast majority of the public dont have access to them or even know that they are around the place

A firearm is only granted on the basis that you have a ligitimate reason for having one ie hunting or target shootin, self defence not being a reason

Shotguns are easy enough get, rifles are a bit harder and higher calibre rifles arent given out easily not sure if many are granted over .308 . In the last 2 years pistols have been given out but requirments are very high with a monitered alarm safe and other things with inspections and access to a range was a nesecity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Tyrone

Here firearms arent that readily available and the vast majority of the public dont have access to them or even know that they are around the place

A firearm is only granted on the basis that you have a ligitimate reason for having one ie hunting or target shootin, self defence not being a reason

Shotguns are easy enough get, rifles are a bit harder and higher calibre rifles arent given out easily not sure if many are granted over .308 . In the last 2 years pistols have been given out but requirments are very high with a monitered alarm safe and other things with inspections and access to a range was a nesecity

Thanks psittacosis.

I have always thought an armed society was a polite society. It kinda keeps the bad guys moving on as the rewards don't justify the risk.

Here we can own any firearm including semi autos up to 50 caliber without any permits or restrictions. For Full autos you need to get a background check and pay a 200 dollar tax. The same is true for silencers here. Full autos are no longer made for the public since 1986. No new full autos after that date.
    Full autos run from $10,000 and up plus the 200 dollar tax stamp. Not all states permit full autos.

Here you need a licence for every gun which is granted by the superintendant of the region (irelands divieded into 26 regions/counties). If the super doesn't like it you cant shoot it. Most people start off shooting a shotgun then a rimfire rifle and then a centerfire. Its pretty much unheard of anyone getting a centerfire as they're first licence. All rifles are generally bolt action with some semi auto rimfires being licenced and i think a .223 semi was licenced. "military calibres" are frowned apon such as the .223/5.65 and 7.62/.308 (because everyone knows that these calibres are only meant for killing people) however a good few .223's have been licenced. There is also the i dont look the like of that category which basically if the super doesnt like the look of the firearm (ar-15 or militaryclone rifle) you wont get a licence for it.

Do you have to bribe the super there to get a AR-15?

I have several of them, along with several semi 308's.

People here are kinda hard core when it comes to owning weapons. I live in the country and guns are like soda pop, all over the place and everyone is trading or buying. Some here are anti gun but mostly you find those people in the cities where gun use is limited in most cases. Kinda hard to hunt Bear in NYC :)

You ever go over to gunbroker.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

tyrone i have a question for you.

i assume you live in new york, right? well airsoft (pellet) guns are illegal there but are paintballl guns? see i'm going to new york in october and wanted to buy some accesories or a new gun.

• Advertisement

Paintball guns/accessories can be bought over the counter in wallyworld. The americans have a few things wrong with them but the more and more i read about america the more and more i like it and im not just talking about guns just ther whole everything seems everything has a bit of logic and thought put into it rather than ireland where well i dunno what happens here not much look at the state of the roads and everything takes so long. and no v8's wtf:mad: ;)

whupass wrote:
    tyrone i have a question for you.

i assume you live in new york, right? well airsoft (pellet) guns are illegal there but are paintballl guns? see i'm going to new york in october and wanted to buy some accesories or a new gun.

I live in upstate NY, you can buy most anything you want here. I do not live in
    New York City. In NYC they have a whole bunch of different laws that do not apply outside the city.

I assume your going to NYC, If you have any problem buying what you want then go upstate a little. I had a friend that needed some pistol ammo, he was from the city. He asked me one day if I could pick up some for him as he could not buy it in the city. I told him to go next door to the gun shop and buy all he wanted. He did. No problem.

Paintball guns/accessories can be bought over the counter in wallyworld. The americans have a few things wrong with them but the more and more i read about america the more and more i like it and im not just talking about guns just ther whole everything seems everything has a bit of logic and thought put into it rather than ireland where well i dunno what happens here not much look at the state of the roads and everything takes so long. and no v8's wtf:mad: ;)

I WANT A GT500!!

ty Tyrone i should be off to woodburry and common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

I'm curious what the minimum legal barrel length of a shotgun in Ireland is.

26 im pretty sure

• Advertisement

oww gun brokers is a good site!! I'm a suker for the PS90 and they have about 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

26 im pretty sure

Thanks.

Are there now any provisions for a person in Ireland to use lethal force in defence of himself or someone else? Of course I mean in instances where failure to do so would result in your death or the death of an innocent 3rd party. I know this is off the topic a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ireland does, in theory, allow the use of lethal force if that is the minimum force that was appropriate in the circumstances. They just expect you to do it with your bare hands, or a kitchen knife, or whatever's to hand.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Ireland does, in theory, allow the use of lethal force if that is the minimum force that was appropriate in the circumstances. They just expect you to do it with your bare hands, or a kitchen knife, or whatever's to hand.

NTM

Actually anything within your home you use to participate in a sport with, baseball bat, hurley stick*, tennis racket etc...... Now use of a firearm to protect your home is a No No. They need to be upstairs, have a weapon and when you do do what you may do in that situation they must be facing you. Im not advocating shooting someone , thats just the situation as i understand it. What you must remember is its still murder and you will still be arrested/charged. What happens in court depends on opther aspects i know nothing of.

* for those non-irish who dont know what a hurley is you will find attached pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Far too much ****e talk in this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

civdef wrote:
    Far too much ****e talk in this thread....

true i did go a "little" off topic there civ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

yes but it is interesting what hjappens if you
    1 chase the off witha gun
    2fire a warning shot in the roof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

coyote6 wrote:
    I'm curious what the minimum legal barrel length of a shotgun in Ireland is.

24ins barrel length min.No overall length.
    Apart from some old antique Winchester 1897 "trench broom "pump actions,that have an exemption of 16in barrells.But they are pretty rare and valueable now.

Rifles,there is no minimum barrel length or over all length.[screw up in the original firearms laws]

Technically you could make a very small pistol/rifle with maybe a 10/22 or something then and licence it legally just have a pistol grip and a cut down barrel. Think ive seen a few pictures of the likes.

Something like this

mag_pistol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

No minimum barrel length? Is this due to change in the new firearms act? I have a friend with a ruger 10/22 he was lookin at some custom barrels on the net but was thinkin they were a bit short to be legal at 16 ins I think.

• Advertisement

so does that men that Short Barreled Rifles are legal???

Tyrone wrote:
    Thanks psittacosis.

I have always thought an armed society was a polite society. It kinda keeps the bad guys moving on as the rewards don't justify the risk.

Here we can own any firearm including semi autos up to 50 caliber without any permits or restrictions. For Full autos you need to get a background check and pay a 200 dollar tax. The same is true for silencers here. Full autos are no longer made for the public since 1986. No new full autos after that date.
    Full autos run from $10,000 and up plus the 200 dollar tax stamp. Not all states permit full autos.

ok does that mean you can buy a full auto gun now but it just has to have been made before 1986, or you couldn't buy them since then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Technically yes you could do that with a Ruger 22,convert it to a "pistol".But no doubt your local Stazi...er Gaurds would find some sort of fault or pull out some sort of EU regulation on it[amazing that they can quote that when it suits them,and ignore it when it does not:( ]
    Wally,
    No that has been there since the original firearms acts.It was overseen and never corrected[thank God].The minimum length in the US for rifle barrels is 16 ins,after that it is a Class 3 item,ditto for shotgun barrels under 18ins.
    Whupas
    Yes,if you can liscense it,there is nothing to stop you from having a SBR here.Dunno why you would bother tho,less barrel =less accuracy.Plus BIG muzzle flash.
    Re your Class 3 question to Tyrone
    No,it means you cannot make,posses,or otherwise own a machinegun in the USA that was made ,converted or imported to the US after 1986.Unless you are an accredited law enforcement dept,sheriffs office,govt agency,blah,blah,blah.
    You as a civvie can own ANY type of machine gun or conversion parts to make a semi to full auto,so long as they were registerd pre 1986.So long as you meet the Federal and State criteria to own a full auto and have mega $$$$ to do so.

whupass wrote:
    ok does that mean you can buy a full auto gun now but it just has to have been made before 1986, or you couldn't buy them since then?

You can buy full autos as long as they were made by 1986.

Advertisement