Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Dead

Options
  • 08-08-2006 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I personally don't own a credit card and don't have the time to spend on higher end MMORPGs (Although i did do the EVE 2 week trail and it hurt when it ended).

I don't know what the penetration here has been for urban dead, but i find it's a simple, non time intensive, easy to use way to be in an online gaming community with out the payouts.

If you haven't heard of it, it takes place in a city infested with zombies were both the survivors and the undead are played by real people. While it's hard at the start untill you get your combat skills up, if you have anysort of imagination you soon get into it. It's all browser based stuff, but the simplicity means they constantly update it and it's not economically based like KOL.

The wiki is detailed and the politics are fairly rich. So if you have a fairly limited time to spend this is perfect.

Alternativly, if this is common knowledge. Whos playing and were are you/how do you find it?

http://www.urbandead.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

It really really sux soldier of fortune is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I've been playing around with this for the last hour and it looks fantastic. It definitely beats some of the other Web based MMORPG games I played like Planeterian. Interesting gameplay combined with interesting storyline. The mechanics are simple yet involving. I highly recommend it.

The only problem with these style of games is the fact that the rate at which you can get into it is limit by the respawn rate of "Action points" or whatever.

Still, its definitely an interesting game to play on the side of whatever else you are in to :D

P.s.; Soldier of Fortune is like 5 years old, find something better or stfu :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

whats soilder of fortune? Link?

Soldier of Fortune is an outdated 3D fps game, that was released a few years back. I presume his derogatory comment wasj ust to get across his dislike for urban dead, no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

I see.

• Advertisement

Wow, I'm still playing this, quite the peach of a game.

I choose a cop as my class, as its a civilian class that starts with basic fire arms, which intrigued me ;). I finally managed to get enough xp to buy my first skill and while I figured getting an upgrade to accuracy with pistols would be a great place to invest it in, free running is just too important imho.

So many times now, I have taken shelter in places I thought were safe, with 10+ people hiding out, only to come back the next day and discover I'd been dragged outside and brutally murdered :(

With free running, I can finally get into the places with ridiculous barricade levels and feel alot safer when I log out. For instance, the place I'm in now Hinks Crescent Police Dept in Yagoton is extremely heavily barricaded and houses about 100 people. I feel much safer now, plus I'm in a police station so I can spend a few turns searching for ammo and then make my way outside and scout around for a few targets. Picking them off and then getting back inside to "sleep for the night".

This alone, has increased my level of enjoyment of this game, tenfold. Before this, I spent so much time getting gang raped by a bunch of zombies, wasting lots of AP getting to a revive point and then spending even more AP just to "stand up".

I'm really looking forward to it now... Let the games begin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Its a fun little game. I've three different characters all pretty much maxed out. Most of my time I spend now going reviving zombies, and healing survivors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I created a zombie, and it's a great game. The action points makes it so you can only really play a few mins max per day (unless you create alts), so it's not a massive time sink.

A group of zombies who'd log in at approx the same time each day could have much more fun - anyone up for the boardzie zombie hoard?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yeah its a great game
    discovered it a few weeks ago but have only been playing properly for about a week now
    you need to plan your moves out well and read the wiki a lot to see what the Big Bash are up to..good fun though

I find the map is incredibly helpful for planning moves

http://map.aypok.co.uk/index.php?menu=goto

and I have only recently gotten shopping with a view to getting bargain hunting so I find

http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Category:Malls

very useful, as malls with just shopping are already better for finding ammo than police stations...

I'm really enjoying being a survivor atm as a zombie seems slightly, excuse the pun, mindless. You just wonder around, waiting to die, hoping to find someone you can kill to get enough xp. Then you have to increase your accuracy and your movement speed, before you become anyway of a threat.

whereas with a survivor, you can run around and hide out in buildings and such. Its pretty intense and very enjoyable :)
    The amount of times I would be just 1 or 2 ap short of getting inside for the night and I would end up sitting at my computer, waiting till I had enough to get inside, for fear of being horribly mutilated. And of course, some other times where, while I am waiting for my AP, I end up getting horribly mutilated by some zombie ;)

Loving it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You are standing outside the Blackmore Building, a derelict concrete building with arched windows. The building has been extremely heavily barricaded.

Somebody has spraypainted Where's your Barhah now Ridleybank? onto a wall.

There is a horde of 120 other zombies here.

There are 93 dead bodies here.

'citing!

Any other zombies out there?

Advertisement