Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car - no tax/insurance disc - drive?

Options
  • 08-08-2006 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Just bought my first car today, it's second hand and was out of tax when I bought it.
    I've applied for insurance on-line but have no proof, and I can't apply for tax until I get the log book...

Does anyone know would it be legal to drive it now, or do i have to sit it outside for a month until all the docs are sorted?? :(

sorry if this has come up many times before but I couldn't find any threads
    Thanks for any help! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

If you have your insurance reference, that should be ok. And guards usually give you about a month breathing space to get your tax.
    However if you get a guard in a bad mood he'd probably fine you for not displaying your discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Was it from a garage? I just bought a new (second hand) car, and it has a disc from the garage saying "Tax applied for" and the date the car was bought on. If you didn't get one, maybe you can ask for one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've applied for insurance on-line but have no proof

I presume you meant to say "I have insurance which I applied for on-line"? If you have an insurance policy number you are covered. As for tax don't worry if you get stopped they'll just request you show proof when you can within 3 weeks. It takes 10 days-2 weeks to get the paperwork back.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

You'll be able to tax your car if the change of ownership has been done - you don't necessarily have to wait until you have the document in your hand. (What I mean is if Shannon has changed it already but you just haven't received it back yet, you could still tax it.) Of course, the only way to know that is to ring them or the local Motor Tax Office to check.

Also, you can tax it if you can give your company name, policy number, and date fo expiry. You no longer have to produce the certificate anymore.

The garage could have given the change of ownership document to you (if they trusted you) and you could have got it changed over at the tax office at the time of taxing. Generally, they won't do a change of ownership (unless its one fo those really old brown reg books) except in a case where you're taxing it and changing it at te same time. Dunno why that is but there you go... loopholes abound! :)

Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah you should be alright unless you are stopped by some garda in a very bad mood. When I changed my car back in April, the new one's tax was expired since February. I kept all the documentation about the sale in the glove box in the event that I was stopped - which I was, twice. The first time the garda understood that I was waiting for the paperwork to come back from Shannon and he let me go. 2 days later I was stopped at the same spot by a different garda that was having none of it. He basically threatened to "do" me if I didn't have it taxed by the end of the week :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Thanks, been driving around today and haven't seen any angry guards yet! I'm being careful where I park it though in case it's gone when I come back!! :)
    I have the receipt from the garage and put a note on the window that i'm awaiting docs for the tax and insurance. So hopefully all will be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I had a similar thread up a few weeks ago if you want to search for it.

Brand new car, 3 days old, checkpoint at 9 in the morning and a middle aged cop popped a few blood vessels over it.

He let me go when he realised I was well able to defend the situation.

Advertisement