Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hadith Qudsi (Sacred Hadith)

• 08-08-2006 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hadith Qudsi (or Sacred Hadith) are a sub-category of hadith, which are sayings of Muhammad. Muslims regard the Hadith Qudsi as the words of Allah, repeated by Muhammad and recorded on the condition of an isnad (chain of verification by witness(es) who heard Muhammad say the hadith). At first, there seems to be no reason for distinguishing Qur'anic verses from the verses in the Hadith Qudsi, as both are regarded as directly inspired from God. However, according to as-Sayyid ash-Sharif al-Jurjani, the Hadith Qudsi differ from the Qur'an in that the former were revealed in a dream or through revelation and are "expressed in Muhammad's words", whereas the latter are the "direct words of God".

Hence, Hadith Qudsi rank as a source of Islamic knowledge below the Qur'an but above all other hadiths. A well-known text among Muslims is the 40 Hadith Qudsi.

An example of a Hadith Qudsi is:

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Messenger of Allah said:

"When Allah decreed the Creation He pledged Himself by writing in His book which is laid down with Him: My mercy prevails over my wrath."

(Related by Muslim, and by al-Bukhari, an-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah)

(some of the hadiths from The Hadith Qudsi collection)

On the authority of Abu Dharr Al-Ghafari, of the prophet is that among the sayings he relates from his Lord is that He said:
    "O My servants, I have forbidden oppression for Myself and have made it forbidden amongst you, so do not oppress one another.

O My servants, all of you are astray except for those I have guided, so seek guidance of Me and I shall guide you. O My servants, all of you are hungry except for those I have fed, so seek food of Me and I shall feed you. O My servants, all of you are naked except for those I have clothed, so seek clothing of Me and I shall clothe you. O My servants, you sin by night and by day, and I forgive all sins, so seek forgiveness of Me and I shall forgive you.

O My servants, you will not attain harming Me so as to harm Me, and you will not attain benefiting Me so as to benefit Me. O my servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to become as pious as the most pious heart of any one man of you, that would not increase My kingdom in anything. O My servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to be as wicked as the most wicked heart of any one man of you, that would not decrease My kingdom in anything. O My servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to rise up in one place and make a request of Me, and were I to give everyone what he requested, that would not decrease what I have, any more than a needle decreases the sea if put into it.

O My servants, it is but your deeds that I reckon up for you and then recompense you for, so let him who finds good praise Allah, and let him who finds other than that blame no one but himself."
    (Related by Muslim)

The messenger of Allah said: "Purity is half of faith. alhamdu-lillah [Praise be to Allah] fills the scales, and subhana-Allah [How far is Allah from every imperfection] and alhamdu-lillah [Praise be to Allah] fill that which is between heaven and earth. Prayer is light; charity is a proof; patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin."
    (Related by Muslim)

The prophet said : "None of you [truely] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself."
    (Related by Bukhari and Muslim)

The messenger of Allah said : "Let him who believes in Allah and the Last Day either speak good or keep silent, and let him who believes in Allah and the Last Day be generous to his neighbour, and let him who believes in Allah and the Last Day be generous to his guest."
    (Related by Bukhari and Muslim)

A man said to the prophet : "Counsel me". He said : " Do not become angry". The man repeated [his request] several times, and he said: "Do not become angry ".
    (Narrated by Bukhari)

One day I was behind the prophet and he said to me: "Young man, I shall teach you some words [of advice] : Be mindful of Allah, and Allah will protect you. Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allah; if you seek help, seek help of Allah. Know that if the Nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried."
    (Narrated by Termithi, who said it is true and fine hadith)

The messenger of Allah said : "Among the words people obtained from the First Prophecy are : If you feel no shame, then do as you wish."
    (Related by Bukhari)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

The messenger of Allah said: "Allah the Almighty has said: 'Who soever shows enmity to a friend of Mine, I shall be at war with him. My servant does not draw near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have imposed upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes, and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.'"
    (Related by Bukhari)

The messenger of Allah said : "Allah has pardoned for me my people for [their] mistakes and [their] forgetfulness and for what they have done under duress."
    (A fine hadith related by Ibn Majah, Al-Baihqi, and others)

The messenger of Allah took me by the shoulder and said : "Be in the world as though you were a stranger or a wayfarer." The son of Omar used to say: "At evening do not expect [to live till] morning, and at morning do not expect [to live till] evening. Take from your health for your illness and from your life for your death."
    (Related by Bukhari)

The Prophet said: "Whosoever removes a worldly grief from a believer, Allah will remove from him one of the griefs of the Day of Judgment. Whosoever alleviates [the lot of] a needy person, Allah will alleviate [his lot] in this world and the next. Whosoever shields a Muslim, Allah will shield him in this world and the next. Allah will aid a servant [of His] so long as the servant aids his brother. Whosoever follows a path to seek knowledge therein, Allah will make easy for him a path to Paradise. No people gather together in one of the houses of Allah, reciting the Book of Allah and studying it among themselves, without tranquility descending upon them, mercy enveloping them, the angels surrounding them, and Allah making mention of them amongst those who are with Him. Whosoever is slowed down by his actions will not be hastened forward by his lineage."
    (Related by Muslim in these words)

I heard the messenger of Allah say: "Whosoever of you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand; and if he is not able to do so, then with his tongue; and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart; and that is the weakest of faith."
    (Related by Muslim)

The messenger of Allah said : "Do not envy one another; do not inflate prices one to another; do not hate one another; do not turn away from one another; and do not undercut one another, but be you, O servants of Allah, brothers. A muslim is the brother of a muslim: he neither oppresses him nor does he fail him, he neither lies to him nor does he hold him in contempt. Piety is right here-and he pointed to his breast three times. It is evil enough for a man to hold his brother muslim in contempt. The whole of a muslim for another muslim is inviolable: his blood, his property, and his honor."
    (Related by Muslim)

On the authority of Ibn Abbas that the messenger of Allah, among the sayings he relates from his Lord is :
    "Allah has written down the good deeds and the bad ones." Then he explained it [by saying that] :" He who has intended a good deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as from ten good deeds to seven hundred times, or many times over. But if he has intended a bad deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down as one bad deed."

(Related by Bukhari and Muslim in their two salihs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Your expected to give a comment on what you posting, cut and paste type posts are not allowed. (see Rule 6/6a)

I'll leave the thread open for now for you to comment if you have one. If there is no response after a day the thread will be locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Yes babyvaio.

Also, just wanted to point out to everyone that not all of these are hadith Qudsi (sacred hadith).

the_new_mr wrote:
    Yes babyvaio.

Also, just wanted to point out to everyone that not all of these are hadith Qudsi (sacred hadith).

What do you mean the_new_mr they're not all sacred? I have a software with with all 6 collections of the hadith and I took them from there...

PS The software I use is from Islamasoft Solutions : The Hadith Software.

I mean in that they don't all go all the way back to God.

Here's a good definition of hadith Qudsi.
    The following is given in the introduction to the book titled "Forty Hadith Qudsi" published by: Revival of Islamic Heritage Society, Islamic Translation Center, P.O.Box 38130, Aldahieh, Kuwait. Hadith Qudsi are the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (sallahu alayhi wa salam) as revealed to him by the Almighty Allah. Hadith Qudsi (or Sacred Hadith) are so named because, unlike the majority of Hadith which are Prophetic Hadith, their authority (Sanad) is traced back not to the Prophet but to the Almighty. Among the many definitions given by the early scholars to Sacred Hadith is that of as-Sayyid ash-Sharif al-Jurjani (died in 816 A.H.) in his lexicon At-Tarifat where he says: "A Sacred Hadith is, as to the meaning, from Allah the Almighty; as to the wording, it is from the messenger of Allah (sallahu alayhi wa salam). It is that which Allah the Almighty has communicated to His Prophet through revelation or in dream, and he, peace be upon him, has communicated it in his own words. Thus Qur'an is superior to it because, besides being revealed, it is His wording."

• Advertisement

the_new_mr wrote:
    I mean in that they don't all go all the way back to God.

Here's a good definition of hadith Qudsi.

The definition stands firmly. It is stange though that the application has listed those that I posted in Hadith Qudsi section... :confused:

Strange indeed. An e-mail to Islamasoft is perhaps required :)

Anyway, here's a link to 40 hadith Qudsi. It's where I got the definition from.
    http://www.islamchannel.tv/HadithSection/HadithQudsi.aspx

Advertisement