Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Getting a LCD HDTV questions

• 08-08-2006 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting the Toshiba 42WLT66 from Dabs (approx €2000, almost €1000 less than PowerCity charge for a lower-end model I might add) but have a couple questions first:

This model is an LCD tv, so is there any chance that there might be broken pixels. I have two LCD 19" monitors and unfortunately one suffers from this, so I know how annoying it can be, and certainly dont want to pay €2000 for a tv to find a glaring flaw. I'm hoping that the broken pixel problem is gone or non-existent on TVs (also didnt toshiba or samsung promise zero broken pixels?).

As for the HDTV part of the device, it says it has two HDMI ports, and sports a 1920x1080 resolution along with progressive scanning. However it doesnt not explicitly say that it supports 1080p - it does say 1080i but I want to be sure. It also doesnt help when theres mixed reviews on the dabs website as to its Full HD compatability (even though the Toshiba catalogue says Full HD)

My final question is about the quality of LCD screens. Are they as bad as some LCD computer monitors in their angles and black/contrast? If they are I'm not interested, as I've often seen how bad the colour can be distorted if your not at a perfect angle to some LCD monitors.

thats it, and thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

SolarNexus wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting the Toshiba 42WLT66 from Dabs (approx €2000, almost €1000 less than PowerCity charge for a lower-end model I might add) but have a couple questions first:

This model is an LCD tv, so is there any chance that there might be broken pixels. I have two LCD 19" monitors and unfortunately one suffers from this, so I know how annoying it can be, and certainly dont want to pay €2000 for a tv to find a glaring flaw. I'm hoping that the broken pixel problem is gone or non-existent on TVs (also didnt toshiba or samsung promise zero broken pixels?).

As for the HDTV part of the device, it says it has two HDMI ports, and sports a 1920x1080 resolution along with progressive scanning. However it doesnt not explicitly say that it supports 1080p - it does say 1080i but I want to be sure. It also doesnt help when theres mixed reviews on the dabs website as to its Full HD compatability (even though the Toshiba catalogue says Full HD)

My final question is about the quality of LCD screens. Are they as bad as some LCD computer monitors in their angles and black/contrast? If they are I'm not interested, as I've often seen how bad the colour can be distorted if your not at a perfect angle to some LCD monitors.

thats it, and thanks.

There's a thread on AVForums about this TV

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I don't think you will get the guarantees of "no dead pixels" that you seek. I think manufacturers have a dead pixel policy where they allow x number of full dead ones AND/OR y number of partially dead ones and n number within m number of pixels of eachother etc etc...

Personally, Dead Pixels are not as annoying on a TV as on a Computer monitor because you are sitting further away from the screen so you do not notice individual pixels.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

I did read somewhere that Samsung offered a zero pixel return policy, though I dont know how true that is.

I wouldnt mind broken pixels so much as stuck pixels... a single red or green (blue to a lesser extent) pixel in a brand new display is unacceptable. A black pixel is more acceptable but still nevertheless not wanted.

Advertisement