Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split up the Soc Category

Options
  • 08-08-2006 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

I always use the side bar to scan the different categories to see if there are interesting posts titles in forums that I don't automatically go into, but I think the fact that there are so many forums in the Soc group that it makes it hard to navigate, although alot of the forums in there are rarely posted too I think it would be good of you seperated out some of the forums and sub forums...im not sure which ones would be split off... :confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hmm, it is a bit general alright and getting a bit crowded with sub sections etc. and all the other categorys are neater, clearer and to the point.

But I'm not sure there's a much better alternative, and they do fit in that category. At the same time, you don't want the category bar at the top to get too crowded either!

I would maybe suggest a seperate Language & Education category (or maybe 2 in 1)...but maybe it's not nececary just yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm the Education and Language idea is actually a good one. Given a new college year is coming up soon I would support this. It may also make it easier for the great unwashed (1st year students) to find the relevant college boards easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd be interested to know, actually, how many of the colleges have direct url's - i know we have one for www.boards.ie/tcd but its a great way to get new users on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I think promoting Edu is a good idea.

But it's getting crowded up top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Make it so the forum menu on top scrolls from right to left at the click of an arrow

Also give this arrow a fruit machine feature which will randomly scroll the menu at speed and you can see what forum you stop it on

God, i come up great ideas for no apparent reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Cloud wrote:
    I think promoting Edu is a good idea.

But it's getting crowded up top :)

yeah but significant portion of users would be students ya know, then you also put in cdvec forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Subbed menu ftw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You could integrate the hosted fora into the main headings and have them as a different font?
    Or in italics/bold or whatever?

More room up top then.

Is it just me, or is there a "Edu" category now? :) Good call, it's a big enough category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Yes, my approval goes to the relative authorities. Jolly good show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Ahhh, thought I'd gone mad there. Yes, good idea I think. It wasn't very obvious that there was in fact a Universities section at all before.

Bring on the great unwashed!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Does Languages belong under Edu?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What about Region? Or is that too lateral?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Cloud wrote:
    It probably does for the purposes of this site. Most people would use the language fora as a learning tool as opposed to outright discussion about the language itself.

It does happen, but by and large, most people go in and ask for translations etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where did subbed threads go to in this shuffle?
    If you need space, ads is short for adverts. (P

Cloud wrote:

Well, I'd think languages could be classed as an educational category anyway...and if you put it in the edu category, it will fall nicely between Junior cert and Leaving cert...should bring a new dimension to the forums :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Cloud wrote:

I reckon so. :) Looking better up top.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cloud wrote:

Yes and they may get more traffic as well.

You will need to put a Cat Mod in the Edu Section also it will be getting busy real soon :)

Lamp test.

I love lamp!

Is the subbed threads ling gone for good?
    You have to go into your usercp now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Cloud wrote:

i think it does, stick it at the top of the drop down, i guess it caters for internationals too, you could even call it Edu/Lang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just wanted to give the thumbs up to the new Adverts menu structure in the drop down bar, it's far cleaner than the last version :)

Advertisement