Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Question

• 08-08-2006 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Would anyone have any opinions on this please? Going to meet someone that you've met online for the first time. Bring flowers or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

NO! It'll look very odd! Unless you're maybe 40's upwards, in this day and age you don't bring flowers on a first date. It'll come across as needy not to mention the fact that if you're not meeting her at her house, they're a nuisance to carry around everywhere with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you are meeting a man, he might not appreciate them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

i say one flower like a red rose or something it shows you
    put thought into the idea.

think a bunch of flowrs is a bit much tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Have you set up an emergency call 10 mins in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Depends. Is this a job interview?

Personally, I wouldn't bring flowers. Well perhaps a red rose in my jacket lapel and a copy of todays newspaper under my arm so I can identify myself superspy method.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would leave the flowers for another day, OP. I hope you meeting these person in a public place, always important for online dating and have your phone on you incase you get stuck. Don't mean to put a downer on things for you, just better be safe. Best of luck anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ruu wrote:
    . I hope you meeting these person in a public place, always important for online dating and have your phone on you incase you get stuck.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to end up doing a vestek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I'm not sure if your male or female, but it doesn't matter, I've done online dating and it is a bad, bad, bad idea to bring flowers on the first date, because 1) it may scare the other person off
    2) they may have come across as the best thing since sliced bread over the internet but until you meet them in the flesh, you have no idea whether you fancy that person, this may sound ludicrous but believe me it does happen, I've met guys with great photos, sounded great via e-mail and the minute I met them I didn't fancy them for some unknown reason, so if you come with flowers and you don't fancy that person and they fancy you, it can be awkward, For first dates, caution, caution, caution. Not only because of the unknown quantity but also because you need to suss each other out in real time. However on a positive note, the first online date I had, we went out together for nine months and whilst it didn;t last it was the most amazing time I had, and a wonderful experience. I met the next guy via the internet and we went out together for a year and it was lovely, since then it has not been so lucky. If you like the man/woman, give flowers on the second date, it is a lovely touch then (but again only if there is a major love vibe, my ex brought a few red roses between his teeth as a joke to our way of meeting, and it was really touching, but we knew there was a huge vibe between us). Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Think safety, safety, safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I wouldn't be too worried about safety if you're meeting in a public place. Scoring a randomer on a saturday night and heading back to theirs is far riskier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I think that they would be a nice touch. But then again I have never done the online dating thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I would think no.

No matter how much you like someone online, its always different in person. It might go well, it might go disastrously.
    Either way, if you bring flowers it shows a lot of eagerness & what happens if you dont like her? (im just presuming its a her)

Save the flowers for a 2nd meeting time maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

i say one flower like a red rose or something it shows you
    put thought into the idea.

think a bunch of flowrs is a bit much tbh.

Seconded.
    One flower. A rose is always a good choice. None of that crappy packaging stuff though. I've always thought they're prettier without that.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

takola wrote:
    Seconded.
    One flower. A rose is always a good choice. None of that crappy packaging stuff though. I've always thought they're prettier without that.:)

Agree. One nice rose, unpackaged, is a gesture that the girl is likely to appreciate. A bunch of flowers is ott for a first meeting. If you're apprehensive about it then skip the flowers altogether, but I think the one rose thing seems a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What if it turns out to be your cousin? :eek:

No flowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think flowers would be a little excessive on the first date, which you're going to spend sussing each other out. perhaps on the second date...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Flowers would be a bit weird I think. Too much too soon.

Advertisement