Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with Ubuntu 6.06 on my laptop

• 08-08-2006 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I installed ubuntu that I got free with linux magazine, 6.06 i think. it was going good for a while until i decided i wanted to disable the touchpad tap click feature. So i edited the xorg.conf file but now when i reboot, ubuntu claims it cant start x and it goes into the shell. At least I think me editing the xorg.conf file caused this. I have a dell inspiron 9400 with an intel 945GM graphics card.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

When Ubuntu can't start X (on my machine) it offers to show me the log so I can see what went wrong. Even if it doesn't, less /var/log/xorg.0.log will let you page through until you find the problem. Look for (EE) error lines.

You've probably got a syntax error in xorg.conf - fix that and you're good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

If it's at all possible, could you post your xorg.conf file?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Copy the backup of xorg.conf that you made before modifying back... Ahem.
    Hard way to learn a lesson. Post up your xorg.conf & logs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

As karoma says...it's a hard lesson to learn....but making a backup of yoru xorg.conf before editing it is essential. Guilty of having suffered this myself before. :)

ctrl+alt+f1 will get you to a command prompt so you can re-edit it with vi, or nano, or whatever. If you used vi in the first place, have a look for xorg.conf~ in the /etc/X11 directory.

good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Khannie wrote:
    As karoma says...it's a hard lesson to learn....but making a backup of yoru xorg.conf before editing it is essential. Guilty of having suffered this myself before. :)
    Ha! Fool! muhah...heh...ahem. Yup. At least one tends not to make the same mistake three times ¬_¬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Khannie wrote:
    As karoma says...it's a hard lesson to learn....but making a backup of yoru xorg.conf before editing it is essential. Guilty of having suffered this myself before.
    Heh, ditto to this, I think everyone who starts with linux does it at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Ok now that the slagging is done

Backup using
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

running the command

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

or alternatively
    sudo Xorg -configure

will ask you a few questions and recreate your xorg.conf file for you. Most questions can be answered with the default.
    The -phigh flag just means that the number of questions asked is kept to a minimum " priority high "

If you've got accelerated ati/nvidia drivers installed, the driver line in xorg.conf may need to be changed.

edit (oops Xorg -configure not -config)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

there's a good possibility, if you edited it using ubuntu's gedit, that there's already a backup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Official Dapper 6.06.1 update is out (over 300 bug fixes etc..)

try it if you like http://releases.ubuntu.com/6.06.1/

Advertisement