Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mystery lameness!!!

Options
  • 08-08-2006 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

okay, last tuesday i brought my dog out for her walk, brought her home and gave her a bath. after baths she goes a bit crazy and run around the place. so the whole thing went as normal, and she had her nap afterwards. upon waking, she had a limp that got quite bad. we couldn't find anything between her pads and assumed she had banged the leg from slipping and sliding around the floors when wet, so we left it over night and, sure enough, it wore away over the course of the day, and she was back to her own self.

i was away over the weekend, but i'm told she was fine, no problems whatsoever with her leg or anything else. Then yesterday, before i'd even brought her out for a walk or done any sort of vigorous play with her, she just suddenly developed the limp again. it got worse and worse and she started holding her leg up off the ground and hobbling around on 3 legs. she hasn't been licking the foot or yelping or anything, doesn't appear bothered apart from keeping the foot up. when i tried to examine the foot, she got very uncomfortable and absolutely refuses to allow me look at it.

so today it was no better and we brought her to the vet who has booked her for an x-ray on thursday.

but for the past hour she has been allowing weight onto the foot and walking around with a limp again, on all 4 legs. i wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow she's absolutely grand- WHAT'S GOING ON!!! lol! unfortunately i'm not in control of the purse strings, and my mum has said if she's okay tomorrow, she's cancelling the appointment for the x-ray, but i think we should still get it done or i have the feeling it'll come back.

anyone got any ideas of injuries that come and go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Phhhhwwwww!!:rolleyes: All that dog wants is a bit of attention!

Cant think of anything really its hardly serious maybe something to do with her nails or a thorn somewhere you missed. Sounds like its just a bit sore shes a dog she'll get over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

what can i say- i'm a worrier!!! she's my baby. i hate seeing her in pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

then get her that X-ray ...only then will you really know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Well if you dont mind paying the vet fees and it will put you mind at ease go for it its your money. I personally wouldnt but thats just the way i am.

Its pretty obvious from your post that its not serious anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Sounds like it might be a pulled muscle or ligament.
    After relaxing a while she might be in less pain but walking or moving a certain way might be causing the pain to come back.
    Think of it this way, if you sprain your wrist, turning your hand one way hurts more that another way.
    Best get that x-ray. that way the vet can make sure its not a torn ligament or such, which would get worse without treatment.

b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My JRT gets this when she ever runs around like Linford Christie the vet told us that it was her patella ( knee cap ). It sounds like that to me, i wouldn't worry too much just give a lot of love and attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

My JRT gets this when she ever runs around like Linford Christie the vet told us that it was her patella ( knee cap ). It sounds like that to me, i wouldn't worry too much just give a lot of love and attention.

That's exactly what I thought.

You should also be aware that this is the time of year when wasps get a bit "waspish"... my JRTX has stood on them a few times resulting in stings and limps. Took me ages to figure this one out!!

Advertisement