Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skips on public roads

Options
  • 08-08-2006 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I work for a company who has a tighter budget than a crabs a$$. Recently I put some rubbish in a skip that was parked in a car parking space outside a nearby esablishment. The company I work for did not own it, but I have moved here from the UK and as far as I know any skip that is on public property and not on someone's drive etc, is ok to put rubbish in. It was windy and the bag I put in obviously blew out of the skip due to having lots of documents in it. I got a fine notice today, saying that the bag was dumped next to the skip and they opened it to find out who dumped it. Now I am not sure if I should tell my boss as they will repremand me for dumping the rubbish. It might be a co-insedence but someone was looking out the door of another establishment and saw me dump the rubbish. It was only a green bin bag and it was not as if it would have stopped the owners of the skip putting anything else in it. Should I keep this from my employer and appeal or what? I manage the office and deal with the post so I get to it before them. HELP! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I work for a company who has a tighter budget than a crabs a$$. Recently I put some rubbish in a skip that was parked in a car parking space outside a nearby esablishment. The company I work for did not own it, but I have moved here from the UK and as far as I know any skip that is on public property and not on someone's drive etc, is ok to put rubbish in. It was windy and the bag I put in obviously blew out of the skip due to having lots of documents in it. I got a fine notice today, saying that the bag was dumped next to the skip and they opened it to find out who dumped it. Now I am not sure if I should tell my boss as they will repremand me for dumping the rubbish. It might be a co-insedence but someone was looking out the door of another establishment and saw me dump the rubbish. It was only a green bin bag and it was not as if it would have stopped the owners of the skip putting anything else in it. Should I keep this from my employer and appeal or what? I manage the office and deal with the post so I get to it before them. HELP! :confused:

Its not really a consumer issue OP have a Mod move it to work for you. Youd get a better response.

In reply to your post I'd tell your boss exactly what you tols us, your new here, in teh UK you can do it....ect

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Consumer Issues

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

... and as far as I know any skip that is on public property and not on someone's drive etc, is ok to put rubbish in.
    No its not, its littering and possibly fraud (in areas with pay by weight, which probably covers all skips). If someone put out their rubbish bin on bin day, would you 'top it up'?

The thing is, you could probably paper recycled for free.
    Now I am not sure if I should tell my boss as they will repremand me for dumping the rubbish.
    I think you should tell them or pay the litter fine yourself.
    Should I keep this from my employer and appeal or what? I manage the office and deal with the post so I get to it before them.
    'Appeal' probably means going to court. Court probably means conviction. Do you want the business convicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Victor, how would he get paper recycled for free (without doing something illegal)?

I agree with everything else.

I would forget about appealing this. If you were a regular consumer you might just get away with it in court, or if the skip was miles away from your office you might have a chance. But you are acommercial business, and adjacent, I don't see you winning at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor, how would he get paper recycled for free (without doing something illegal)?
    Excuse me, I don't know what options are available for commercial recycling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I would be paying the fine myself pronto as you could get the sack for owning up.

Pay cash into the bank account details available on the fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What a load of rubbish, SKIPS are very expensive both in UK and Ireland and nothing public about them. Irresponsible freeloaders like you deserve to be severely penalised, I've seen guys get a box from skip hirers for free dumping. This time you get a small fine but perhaps it will teach you a lesson, next time dispose of your waste in a more responsible manner. Count yourself very lucky the bin bag did not tear and scatter what is probably confidential information.

Your action would justify a strong reprimand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

What a load of rubbish, SKIPS are very expensive both in UK and Ireland and nothing public about them. Irresponsible freeloaders like you deserve to be severely penalised, I've seen guys get a box from skip hirers for free dumping. This time you get a small fine but perhaps it will teach you a lesson, next time dispose of your waste in a more responsible manner. Count yourself very lucky the bin bag did not tear and scatter what is probably confidential information.

Your action would justify a strong reprimand.
    For once, We Agree.....:eek:

Advertisement