Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which 4X4 (Commercial)?

• 08-08-2006 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Looking to buy a 4X4 commercial. Contenders: Toyota Landcruiser, Mits Pajero, Isusu Trooper. 2000-2001 age. Diesel. From looking at carzone etc the Toyota is most expensive and Isusu cheapest by a longshot. (Wonder if there is a reason for this?)

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

leex wrote:
    Hello All,

Looking to buy a 4X4 commercial. Contenders: Toyota Landcruiser, Mits Pajero, Isusu Trooper. 2000-2001 age. Diesel. From looking at carzone etc the Toyota is most expensive and Isusu cheapest by a longshot. (Wonder if there is a reason for this?)

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

Whats the budget?
    Personally if yoru going for 00-01, then I would recommend the Pajero. It was at its best then. The landcruiser is good but the new model which came out in 04 beat the pajero hands down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Did you consider a Discovery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Another vote for a Discovery. Had a 2000 commercial TD5, never gave any problems till 130k miles when I got a 2004 passenger TD5, and now I've got a passenger Discovery 3 which is the best 4x4 I've ever been in imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Kia Sorrento.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Check out todays Irish Times motoring supplement; buying a used Pajero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Thanks for all the replies. Budget is around 15k max. All in that bracket seem to be high-mileage (80-100k) so that's why I was thinking Toyota etc. Would a landrover engine last for 200k?

Thanks again,
    W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cjs

Landcruiser all the way
    They are fit for 300k mls without much trouble at all - You'll have the usuall changing of breaks and usuall servicing but youll have that with every car or jeep. but nothing major seems to ever go wrong with a landcruiser and they have unreal power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Go with the landcruiser all the way, the isusu is the cheapest for a very good reason its a ball scutter and practically saleproof even at low low bargain prices

the pajero isint as bad but there is a reason your getting it cheaper than a cruiser thats because it not a patch to a cruiser, the cruiser will cost more now but you will get more back when it comes to resale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

landcruiser definitley i had a 00 trooper gave me nothing but trouble changed for a landcruiser in 2003 and again in 06 only ever in the garage for servicing and as has been previously said above they might be a bit more exspensive to buy but you will save in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Ssangyong Rexton

You should pick up a 2003 one for around 15K. I drive a 2004 one (not a commercial though) and its great, Mercedes engine and gearbox so no problems there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Did you buy anything after Leex? I have a nice Toyota commercial for sale;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Whats the budget?
    Personally if yoru going for 00-01, then I would recommend the Pajero. It was at its best then. The landcruiser is good but the new model which came out in 04 beat the pajero hands down!

The current Land Cruiser was introduced in 2003. It should be noted that the new model carried over all the major components of the older model, as well as not really differing in interior space. So apart from looks, there is no reason to say that an older Land Cruiser isn't better than a Pajero. It has a far superior engine (most older Pajeros will be the thirsty yet snail-like 2.5) and transmission. It's 4 wheel drive system is miles ahead of Mitsubishis oversteer-ish part-time 4WD system.

On the other hand, the Mitsu is likely to have aircon, and it is still a current model (just about)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd agree with the Land-cruiser vote too, Discovery will fall apart no doubt, the Mitsubishi will cost you a fortune on mechanical repairs, the Isuzu is like a tractor to drive and a Jeep is rubbish and poorly built. Nissan have good engines but are poorly built and the Ssanyong is agricultural to drive and won't hold its value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

junkyard wrote:
    the Ssanyong is agricultural to drive and won't hold its value.

Also it's pig-ugly and the interior is appaling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

junkyard wrote:
    Ssanyong is agricultural to drive and won't hold its value.

The manual's are crap to drive, but the auto's aren't too bad. Getting a second hand one with a auto would be a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mr. Pseudonym

What about a Nissan Terrano?? I used to drive a SWB Commercial version and couldnt say enough for it. And with 2.7TD engine it has plenty of power. Not as expensive as the Landcruiser or Pajero, but with the Nissan it will be boringly reliable.

A quick search on carzone (sorry dont know how to attach link :o ) shows some nice Terranos within your Budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Landcruiser all the way.

My Sept 04 is still going strong with a hard life (lotsa towing) and 112000 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Max_Damage wrote:
    The manual's are crap to drive, but the auto's aren't too bad. Getting a second hand one with a auto would be a good deal.
    The latest ones have the suspensions uprated but the earlier one is a yoke and they don't hold their value and there's just something about them that screams " I'm poverty spec".:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Parents have a '03 Landcruiser, '95 Discovery and a '00 Patrol.

Never got to test the Patrol out so can't comment on that. Only got to drive it once :(

The Discovery is slow on the road, we have had a few break down issuses with it, but nothing to expensive. It has been crashed in to a wall a once or twice and still oging strong. Solid as a rock. Bounce it around a field as much as you like. Uncomfortable on long trips.

The Landcrusier is a great vehicle. Good on road as well as off road. No problem pulling heavy loads. Nice and comfortable.

Edit:wrong model

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

have a jeep,good on and off road,had no probs
    downside is parts are expensive
    if i didnt have ,and had to pick from others list ,would go toyota landcrusier,what ever you get,get it checked out good
    alot of cons out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I use a Hyundai Santa fe. Its comfy, never having driven another 4x4 i do not know how well it perferms but its grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Matt1983

Sorry to jump on board I'm also considering purchasing Landcruiser or Patrol from 99 - 03 or 04 depending on price just wondering about reliability and mpg of these jeeps in this age bracket??

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Matt1983 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on board I'm also considering purchasing Landcruiser or Patrol from 99 - 03 or 04 depending on price just wondering about reliability and mpg of these jeeps in this age bracket??

You're not jumping on board anything, this thread has moved on four years ago!

After all these years and its a different world we now live in but somethings never change- Landcruiser is the one to get. Theres a 4x4 forum here you might want to look at. Mpg wise all of them drink like George Best

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

As already stated the isuzu is like a tractor. It'll take a serious beating though and will keep going. It wont keep going well but it will keep going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Matt1983

Currently looking to do passat p/x for landcruiser..check out add <Modsnip: no shilling please>

Advertisement