Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus RX 400H / Murano / X5???

Options
  • 08-08-2006 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Right lads I need some advice. Which 4X4 should I go for? Currently have a 2005 manual 2L diesel X3, fed up with it. The options are new Lexus 400 Hybrid or Nissan Murano – each with all the toys I’m looking for. Could also get a 2005 X5 3L diesel…

What should I go for and why?

Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I cant offer a huge amount of advice although the lexus from what I heard is pretty quick for a 4x4. I used to drive a 350z which has the same engine and similar interior to the Murano (engine detuned in the Murano). Again it is powerful for a 4x4 but seriously thirsty (3.5lt petrol engine). If you are paying for your own fuel then this is a consideration. Also the tax on the Murano will the the max ie 1350 odd euro. However it does look fantastic -not too many on the road, and you do get lots of toys - sat nav, reversing camera, heated leather electric seats, cruise contral, 6 cd bose changer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happenstance

Thanks Bazman.

That's about as much information as I've been able to glean on these vehicles. Have organised test drives for the Lexus and the Murano for this afternoon... Guess this should provide more insight.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks Bazman.

That's about as much information as I've been able to glean on these vehicles. Have organised test drives for the Lexus and the Murano for this afternoon... Guess this should provide more insight.

:)

They are all overpriced imo, particularly the BMW. It is desperatly ugly and not particularly brilliant in any department (is the X5 not due to be replaced soon?).
    The lexus is a non-event in looks/presence department, however I have not driven one.
    The murano is the best of a bad lot. It is much more individual and as already pointed out, well kitted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I have a 06 X5 and to date its the best SUV in the business, if there was a better one I'd have it. I've driven nearly every other SUV/4x4 here and it the U.K. and Germany and with the exception of the Porsche Cayenne, which is petrol, the X5 is the best. Tbh the X3 is majorly underpowered and is geared at shopping trips. The 3.0 diesel is a flyer to go and good on fuel for its size (28-42mpg) Make sure you get good spec i.e. Sat/Nav, leather etc., Take no notice of people saying they don't like the look of it, drive one and you will want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

prospect wrote:
    (is the X5 not due to be replaced soon?)

Well, there you go.......

http://irishcarman.blogspot.com/2006/08/new-x5-revealed.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Even though the Lexus is a guzzler, there are commendable tax incentives to owning one. If you do a bit of city/suburban driving it's probably the best.

I'd never have an X5 because I have a mental bias against BMW, the ML is likely to have sh1te build quality, the Murano is not one I'd considered, Looks something like the Mitsubishi Outlander if you ask me. Th Q7 is Ugly beyond belief.

XC90 and RX would be my choice simply because they're non establishment and if you're actually going to use the off road capabilities I know the X5 is a capable beast but the Lexus is likely to be the best as it's 4x4 running gear comes fromthe same shed as the Landcruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

RX400h is best in principal. though X5 is nicest 4X4 on the road IMO

The Volvo XC90 is a tractor compared to the X5.....believe me I have one of them too. Take the Lexus for a drive and listen to the engine..it too sounds like a Transit van and I personally don't like the bland styling. There is no doubt in my mind the BMW is the best of the bunch, fine build quality, great economy, brilliant handling and such a well developed refined engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ninty9er wrote:
    XC90 and RX would be my choice simply because they're non establishment
    If you want something thats non establishment, go for one of these....they have to be the nicest 4x4 on the road

http://www.jeep.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=7344

and in black......(drool...:( )

I had a Jeep Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee and both of them were rubbish, hard to get rid of after too. The first one went through a gearbox, a clutch, rear shocks and springs within 2 years and it never towed anything in its life or worked hard. The Grand Cherokee basically fell apart.... so I can honestly say I couldn't recommend them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

prospect wrote:

The new one is due here next May and will be a seven seater like the Q7. Its going to go up around 2 or 3 k on the outgoing model which will make an even worse value for money proposition than the current one is.

If BMW want to get in on the peoplecarrier market they should build one, not do a hatchet job on the X5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

junkyard wrote:
    I had a Jeep Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee and both of them were rubbish, hard to get rid of after too. The first one went through a gearbox, a clutch, rear shocks and springs within 2 years and it never towed anything in its life or worked hard. The Grand Cherokee basically fell apart.... so I can honestly say I couldn't recommend them anyway.
    nice to know....

to me though they still look better than anything else out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Top of the range Ssangyong Rexton for € 55K new,
    2.7L engine v fast and quiet (I have one 2004 model)
    Triptronic gearbox and all the toys incl 5 CD changer
    Mercedes Engine and Gearbox :D

joeblogg1 wrote:
    Top of the range Ssangyong Rexton for € 55K new,
    2.7L engine v fast and quiet (I have one 2004 model)
    Triptronic gearbox and all the toys incl 5 CD changer
    Mercedes Engine and Gearbox :D

I drove a couple of the Rextons, even the newer one with the upgraded suspension, and it was a donkey of a thing to be honest, very agricultural.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    If you want something thats non establishment, go for one of these....they have to be the nicest 4x4 on the road

http://www.jeep.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=7344

and in black......(drool...:( )

it's American. They elected Geroge Bush...TWICE ffs.

Not a hope I'd buy a Heep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Don't want to De-rail the thread or anything, but was wondering what exactly do you guys uses 4x4's for?

Don't want to De-rail the thread or anything, but was wondering what exactly do you guys uses 4x4's for?

Don't have one, wouldn't either. I'd much prefer a nice A6 or GS

My uncle has A Landcruiser GX with the leather and 3rd row- basically because he sells the things and likes a bit of variety from the Camry every now and then. The Rav is a very capable machine in action. It surprised me!!

I use mine for towing my boats, my cars, collecting parts, my dogs, crossing fields, driving on the beach, shopping and everyday to get from A to B and long distance trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

ninty9er wrote:
    Even though the Lexus is a guzzler, there are commendable tax incentives to owning one. If you do a bit of city/suburban driving it's probably the best.

It will get over 30 MPG which is exceptional for a vehicle of this size and power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

It will get over 30 MPG which is exceptional for a vehicle of this size and power.

A quick bit of browsing brought up otherwise, and after the figures being touted around for the Prius Vs reality id tend to hold a bit of scepticism for an hybrid mpg figure.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/2006_Lexus_RX_400h/4864-10868_7-31352496.html?ctype=msgid&messageSiteID=7&messageID=1303026&cval=1303026
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=106271

Remember the american gallon is only 3.8 litres. I have one of these and I am getting 8.8l/100km which is 32.1 MPG. (this is about 26 MPG in US gallons) This is based on over 2000 km mixed driving. Also the consumption goes down the faster you drive it, so long motorway journeys 70-80 MPH you will get less. On the Motorway I get 10l/100km which is 30 MPG.

If you do a lot of city driving, you would probably get higher.

OP what car did you decide on in the end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hopefully the Murano, it turns into a snake, a tiger and a spider. Thats hard to beat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stekelly wrote:
    Hopefully the Murano, it turns into a snake, a tiger and a spider. Thats hard to beat.:)

LOL, although it's a bit of a me too from the Citroen ads

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote:
    LOL, although it's a bit of a me too from the Citroen ads

they should have them fight.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stekelly wrote:
    they should have them fight.:D

My favourite offshoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANDzY6e2uUo

Advertisement