Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfer to BT from Eircom

• 09-08-2006 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I had eircom broadband for the last few years and just opted for a transfer to BT last month. I had an option to buy a modem from them or use my old eircom modem! I chose to use my eircom modem. So far I received a letter saying they have completed the transfer but have not told me how to set up my modem, does anyone know how to set up the eircom modem for broadband? What is the difference between the eircom one and BTs? Was it better if I had to buy one from them? I didn't want to buy one as I am thinking of buying a wireless modem/router/switch. Can any of you who have transferred let me know how to set up the eircom modem?
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you have the DSL light on your modem AND have access to the web interface of the modem to configure it then simply ring BT support who are top notch .

they will tell you what to do .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Dont mean to hijack your thread Soldier Force - but am just about to do the switch myself (saving myself €25+ euros per month- bargain!)... I've got the eircom wireless modem myself - and just wondered what your feedback would be re: making the switch/are they just as good/any problems to date.....thanks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

don't ever deal with BT, i signed up for a €25 a month deal and got charges €180 every two months, when i complained they siad sorry and refunded me €90??????

anyway i moved house and cancelled the account (6mth contract was up) they kept charging me, and it took me nealy 4 months to get the line in the house closed (by eircom, BT were no help)

have a look at the other BT threads in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

gotta agree with Mukki, if i had could go back in time i'd slap myself for choosing BT! It may look cheaper on paper but you'll end up cursing your decision

Txs for heads up..... but I know 3 friends who have switched (just home users/personal use)... who have made the switch and have had no problems with the actual line/broadband (I agree that 2 have had an initial problem with their billing)....

So what is the problem with them - the actual broadband service? Is it unreliable?.. My problem is I am currently paying 25€ (Eircon line rental/bband home plus 2mb) in excess of what BT charges And I'd get free local/national/uk calls...(I'm going to see how the 1mb goes and i can always switch to 2mb by paying 54€ p/m ...)....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mukki wrote:
    anyway i moved house and cancelled the account (6mth contract was up) they kept charging me
    So you left an open Direct Debit on your account after ceasing business with a company? You should always cancel a direct debit yourself with the bank.
    it took me nealy 4 months to get the line in the house closed (by eircom, BT were no help)
    If you were paying your line rental to Eircom then BT would not be able to cancel the line for you as that have to right to. Eircom own the line and you are still and Eircom customer if you pay them line rental so the contract is between you and them. BT were only providing broadband and maybe calls, over Eircom's line.

I'd still recommend BT as their prices are great. However, if you receive a bill for the wrong amount then cancel your direct debit with the bank immediately and refuse to pay BT anything until they bill you the correct amount. If you like, pay up what you know you owe them by cheque or using Billpay. Refuse to set up a new direct debit until they sort out your bill and insist on paying manually. This way you'll keep total control over what money you pay them.

The problem with BT is that when a mistake is made on a bill, they insist that you pay the incorrect amount and then either promise to adjust the next bill, or refund by cheque. Half the problem lies with lazy people who accept this and let them get away with it. If a company bills you for the wrong amount you do not have to pay it. They won't like it but there's not a thing they can do about it. They can threaten legal action if they like, but in the end they haven't a leg to stand on so don't stand for it yourself.

JorEl - good point about the billing... (finances are tight enough!)

So are you totally happy with the BT line rental/broadband service then?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

jor el wrote:
    So you left an open Direct Debit on your account after ceasing business with a company? You should always cancel a direct debit yourself with the bank.

i never set up a direct debit, i just gave credti card details

jor el wrote:
    If you were paying your line rental to Eircom then BT would not be able to cancel the line for you as that have to right to. Eircom own the line and you are still and Eircom customer if you pay them line rental so the contract is between you and them. BT were only providing broadband and maybe calls, over Eircom's line.

it was BT line rental

didnt bother quoting the rest of the post, but OMG, that checking the bill and cancel the DD is just genious, i might consider going back to BT when my eircom contract ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

Hi, i recently switched from Eircom to BT and opted to keep my Eircom Router, i was given a date when the switch would take place and that my bb would go down for a while, then i should rin bt and they would tell me how to configure modem, the day came and bb didnt go down or for the week after, i rang bt to find out why i wasnt switching, they said i had switched and that my line rental and bb were now with bt but i still questioned why my bb didnt go down and why i didnt need to configure the router, she just said some customers were lucky! anyways have had no problems with it since

kazper wrote:
    Hi, i recently switched from Eircom to BT and opted to keep my Eircom Router, i was given a date when the switch would take place and that my bb would go down for a while, then i should rin bt and they would tell me how to configure modem, the day came and bb didnt go down or for the week after, i rang bt to find out why i wasnt switching, they said i had switched and that my line rental and bb were now with bt but i still questioned why my bb didnt go down and why i didnt need to configure the router, she just said some customers were lucky! anyways have had no problems with it since

That's positive Kazper!!, hope my switch goes so have you had any problems with your billing?..

• Advertisement

justagirl wrote:
    JorEl - good point about the billing... (finances are tight enough!)

So are you totally happy with the BT line rental/broadband service then?...
    Yep, no problems with the service at all, or currently with the billing.

To answer the OPs questions though, the settings on the modem will be the same for BT as Eircom, except for the username and password. You should have set up these when you signed up, then just log into the router and chenge them, should work after that. Even the default eircom ones may work.
    mukki wrote:
    that checking the bill and cancel the DD is just genious
    :rolleyes:
    Your finances are your responsibility. If you're not going to check your bill, or are willing to allow a company to over charge you, then you deserve what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

justagirl wrote:
    That's positive Kazper!!, hope my switch goes so have you had any problems with your billing?..

Ah that now i dont know as bill has yet to come, but should be here this week so i'll post and let you know, fingers crossed, things dont usually go so smooth for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

jor el wrote:
    Half the problem lies with lazy people who accept this and let them get away with it. If a company bills you for the wrong amount you do not have to pay it

hhmmm that’s an interesting idea blaming people who get overcharged for the overcharging. There are many many people who have kicked up about BT's overcharging over the years and they still do it regularly. You shouldn’t have to pay it, but by the time you realise the billing error the money is already gone from your account. Then starts the hassle of getting it back, which BT don't make easy in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

No problem so far! Customer service has changed since the last few months and they are willing to solve problems quickly now! Its a fact that BT have been having problems with billing so if anyoen plans to cancel BT make sure you inform the bank if your on direct debit! that way they send you a statement for any outstanding dues... and here they can be no overcharging! So far I'm happy with BT! As they say you can't have the cake and eat it too! If you want cheaper broadband and line rental then there will surely be some problems somewhere! I have yet to come across a company which are just perfect! :rolleyes: Have had problems with Eircom, NTL, Sky, Smart and BT! Worst of them are Smart! If they have problems with eircom the customers shouldn't suffer! :( I cancelled my order after waiting 3 months! BT have been good so far! If you have any problems just email the BT Complaints, don't even bother discussing with Customer Reps! You'll only waste your time! I'm all set up with BT now! only trying to figure out how to connect my modem to a wireless router! :rolleyes: making another thread for that!
    Cheerz

only trying to figure out how to connect my modem to a wireless router! :rolleyes: making another thread for that!
    Cheerz

I'll have to keep an eye out for your new thread - I've the Netopia Wireless modem so I'll probably be in the same boat...!!

ps - if any of you guys use BT and want cheaper overseas calls - you can prepay and get, for example, 4c calls to NZ etc ... BT seemingly 'lock' your line so all your calls have to go thru them but (for me as I use TalkTalk) this BT Home service seems pretty competitive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Didnt need to configure the router at all when I move from Eircon to BT, odd.

Sapele wrote:
    hhmmm that’s an interesting idea blaming people who get overcharged for the overcharging. There are many many people who have kicked up about BT's overcharging over the years and they still do it regularly.
    Did you read what I wrote or just what you wanted to read? I'm not blaming anyone for being over charged themselves, I'm saying that they can prevent it quite easily if they look.
    You shouldn’t have to pay it,
    Exactly what I said, you don't have to pay it. But it will go ahead unless you question or stop the payment with the bank. BT, among others, insist on you paying the wrong amount claiming to refund it later or correcting it on the next bill. You don't have to accept that though but too many people do.
    but by the time you realise the billing error the money is already gone from your account.
    No, the bill is issued 10-20 days before the money is debited from your account, giving you plenty of time to contact the company and try to get them to change the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

ah I think I see what you mean jor el, if you manage to spot the overcharge and still let BT take the money anyway on promise of a future bill adjustment. I guess if I had a track record with a company that would be fine. But with a company with BT's billing system it's not. I think it would definitely be easier to spot an overcharge if BT actually sent you a paper bill as well as charging you for it. I guess it's usually only after the event that people become wise, or unless they have read boards first and are forewarned of potential problems :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If you have the DSL light on your modem AND have access to the web interface of the modem to configure it

What if you don't have access to the web interface ? When I'm trying to connect to it to configure I'm being asked for a password and user ID, is this the new BT id (which I haven't received yet)?

I've no idea what my old Eircom details are as I haven't been hooked up to broadband in over a year so I'm up the creak if this is the case.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Jip wrote:
    What if you don't have access to the web interface ? When I'm trying to connect to it to configure I'm being asked for a password and user ID, is this the new BT id (which I haven't received yet)?
    That the default admin username and password for your router. It'll be documented in the manual that came with the router, or in the online manual on the manufacturers website if you can't find the manual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Thanks for that but I figured it out an hour or so after that post, just haven't been around to updated my post.
    Basically what I needed to do was do a factory reset of the router which then meant access wasn't protected anymore with a user ID and password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

Im thinking of moving to BT now that I finally got a line quality of "YES" from BT and "subject to check" from Eircom for BB . But wondering if it would be safer to go to Eircom ( as they control the lines and I am 4km from the exchange) , I want BB more than the cost saving . Maybe I should get BB first and then change later .

PS justagirl said that she calls New Zealand for 4c , I call for 4.93 day and 1.26c in the evening (1890 990505 was telestunt.ie before ) . In fact we use 8 hours on this line to Switzerland every two months ( only 1or 2 to NZ) , does any one know if BT blocks this 1890 number .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT or any of them works to 5.5km now (sometimes) and they do not block any numbers 4km is nothing nowadays .

Advertisement