Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SiFi that should have been and SiFi that should have died

Options
  • 09-08-2006 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Due to the decent SiFi drought I am experiencing i'v been watching some slightly older shows (classics i should have seen) and have started to realise some shows died to young and others dragged on to long. Imagine if you could wish away a bad show and instead have it's seasons added to a show that sould have been.
    For my first wish i would have cancled "First Wave"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_wave
    and added a couple of well deserved seasons to Space : Above and Beyond
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_above_and_beyond

Anyone else out thier with similar feelings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Definately SAAB especially with the way it ended.

Firefly needed a full season and a few more after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Should have been on for longer/saved:
    Farscape! (:()
    Crusade
    SAAB
    Firefly
    Threshold & Invasion (They both got really good after their bad starts)
    Odyssey5 (Still the best season 1 finale I've ever seen)
    Angel

Should have been put down far sooner than they were:
    Earth: Final Conflict (should have died with Boone)
    Sliders (End of season 2 or 3)
    X-files(End of season 4 or 5)
    Andromeda (Season 2)
    ST: Voyager (Never should have been shown at all)
    ST: Enterprise(All seasons bar the last one should be erased)

I *hate* getting into a show only for it to die out. And the availability of shows from the US that never get shown here makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Farscape and Firefly are the two main ones Id love to see continued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 LowTek

Vulture wrote:
    and added a couple of well deserved seasons to Space : Above and Beyond
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_above_and_beyond

Anyone else out thier with similar feelings?

Couldn't agree more. Until the remake of Battlestar Galactica came along, S:AAB remained my all time favorite sci-fi show. Maybe someday the writers might go back and finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I hate the way we all love SAAB but it just gets calcelled because americans didnt like it a load of bollox i cant wait for the day when all tv shows are aired at the same time world over on websites so that all shows will get the ratings they deserve ie no of downloads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

whats sifi? :p

yeah saab & firefly are my main ones, with crusade being second, & as much as i loved farscape im glad that it finished soo good rather than keep it going.

as for shows that should have died much earlier
    earth final conflict: good first season but was crap after that
    stargate sgi: where the hell is it going?
    andromeda: never liked it
    ST-DS9: contraversial i know but i never really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Planet of the Apes TV series from the 60/70's. Only lasted one season :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

The Tribe seasons 1 and 2 are currently going cheap on play so going to get them. Before getting them just started watching Jeremiah again, and it is slightly more bearable.. I am hoping The Tribe is as good as I remember it to be ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Odyssey 5, Space: Above and Beyond (although in fairness, the new BSG has taken up its banner to an extent) and Firefly all deserved more seasons.

Andromeda and Atlantis should both have died quiet deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

"The Tribe" and "Jeremiah" never even heard of them before post apocalypse seems to be your thing. Farsape should have had one more season, they planned for it and it would have given them time to finish all the story arcs but i'm happy enough with the miniseries they did. The only 2 shows i keep seeing mentioned are saab and firefly, crusade and Odyssey5 got 2 mentions each. Maybe the ratings people get it right most of the time? in all honesty Crusade was borderline and what i'v seen and heard about Odyssey 5 makes me disinclined to watch it. But i know one thing for sure everyone hates Andromeda and it would get my vote for worst sifi that lasted the longest.
    Anyway how about another oldie that should have made it "Earth 2".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Kevok wrote:
    Should have been on for longer/saved:
    Farscape! (:()
    Crusade
    SAAB
    Firefly
    Threshold & Invasion (They both got really good after their bad starts)
    Odyssey5 (Still the best season 1 finale I've ever seen)
    Angel

Earth: Final Conflict (should have died with Boone)
    X-files(End of season 4 or 5)
    Andromeda (Season 2)
    ST: Voyager (Never should have been shown at all)

I *hate* getting into a show only for it to die out. And the availability of shows from the US that never get shown here makes it worse.

Pretty good list.
    But there were *5* pretty decent series (US translation - seasons) of Angel (and 7 series of its twin - Buffy) so asking for more seems somewhat greedy to me.

But if I could erase Hercules from history and replace it with some more Angel that would be a good thing.

(EDIT - sorry for talking about fantasy rather than scifi there. I blame the post I was responding to:o).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

There are two many on my should have died sooner list, but on my should have been saved I'd have liked Firefly, though I haven't given up hope and SAAB and Dark Skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Kevok wrote:

Agreed. As soon as the Professor died it should have been cancelled. After that it went all downhill fast. The last few seasons were absolutely terrible and a waste of time. And what kind of ending was that?????
    qwertz wrote:
    Planet of the Apes TV series from the 60/70's. Only lasted one season :(

Now that's something to think about. A classic series. Why don't they do a remake?
    Kevok wrote:

Disagree! I loved Enterprise. Great acting, great characters and the stories were good, not as great as previous Star Treks but it was getting there when it was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Please, no remakes. Most of the time they turn out terrible. Of course there are exceptions...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Kevok's list is pretty spot on - boo hiss to that Bonnie Hammer who cancelled Farscape on us and, recently, Stargate:SG-1 and is responsible for placing wrestling on the US sci-fi show and other feats designed to destroy sci-fi around the world.

I would have liked to have seen more of "Odyssey 5" too as, although plots could be weak, it featured one of the strongest casts I've seen in a sci-fi show.

Others not mentioned by Kevok:

More of:
    • "Dark Angel" - only since it got good in the last few episodes of S2 and ended on an interesting cliffhanger
    • "Twin Peaks" - that ending is soooo cruel! Annie noooo!
    • "American Gothic" - Buck was deliciously nasty as the demonic sheriff and we never got to see what happened to him and Caleb's sister at the end of S1
    • "Nowhere Man" - ending on us finding out that Tom Veil isn't actually Tom Veil but someone else again! And no resoultion - arrghhh!
    Less of
    • "Mutant X" - because it was awful
    • "Charmed" - Why did it last so long when other, superior shows fell by the wayside?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, I'm with you,
    Nowhere Man, should never have ended, although the ending bookend the story quite nicely even so.
    American Gothic, once again, great stuff, was glued from beginning to end.
    Millennium, that show should have gone on and on, rather cancel X-files after 3 seasons and keep this one going, loved the Scientology episode, about as close to the bone as anyone ever got to them up to that South Park episode.
    Dark Skies, really liked the show, the period was great, cast wonderful, paranoia palpable, excellent.
    Odyssey5, good grown up sci-fi, good eclectic cast, complex plotting, canned because, lets face it, yanks are dumb.
    Firefly, need I say more.

Shows that should be erased from history,
    Charmed
    Space Above and Beyond, this show sucked, and sucked big time, it was awful, don't know what you people see in it, should have been called
    ****e Above And Beyond.
    Stargate Atlantis, plot reheats anyone?
    MutantX, Jake 2.0 and so on, shows that saw a pilot and a season or two before being taken out back, made dig a hole, made stand in it and then shot, best thing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

"Space, above and beyond"

God I'd forgotten all about that..it was really great and yes, the new "re-imagined" BSG has really taken up where above and beyond left off, and has run with many of the great ideas that were

Not Sure about:
    Star trek, but the original and TNG, now look really cheesey...I was a kid when I loved them though...
    Does this mean that in 5 or 10 years time I'll think BSG is cheesey? God, i hope not.

Buffy:
    Was a HUGE fan of this and successfully got several of my friends addicted to it, but the last two series, six and seven weren't as good.
    Six because the dark subject material, while great in itself, didn't suit the tone, or something..it just didn't seem to work as well, even though i was glued to the whole Buffy-Spike, Xander-Anya, thing
    And series seven had really run out of steam.
    Was right to cancel it as it had reached a natural end, not because the programme was bad, per sae

To Keep
    Angel: should have gone on to another series or two. I think it coped better with the dark swings and changes to the characters..i always thought of it as appealing to a slightly older audience anyway

Enterprise: was getting good again with the last series,

Definitely To Go,

Charmed, I think is awful
    the current programme "the ghost whisperer" ugh
    Invasion, I thought was awful, and i'd had great hopes for it

Firefly was not good at all, very boring

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

More of: Firefly, SAAB, Enterprise and a few more Doctor Who episodes in each of the current seasons would be nice!

Less of: Star Trek TOS, Star Trek DS9, Andromeda, X Files, Mutant X,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i havent seen firefly but a mate is bringing it over to mine on dvd after work looking forward to seing it myself and making my own judgement cause ive heard its amazing and also heard its not that great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

deman wrote:
    Disagree! I loved Enterprise. Great acting, great characters and the stories were good, not as great as previous Star Treks but it was getting there when it was cancelled.

haha, you have to be joking, right? I have 2 words for you...

Zombie Vulcans!

But seriously, enterprise was naff. From a naff theme tune, to a naff captain to a ridiculously naff story/arc.

And I even enjoyed some of Voyagers episodes, so dont try to say I have too high standards :p

S:AAB definitely should have had another season if not two.
    Dark Skies could have gone the way of X-Files and had plenty of more seasons, it was really that good.

Andromeda, as far as I'm concerned, had a good first 6 episodes. If you can get past Kevin Sorbo, then they are funny, good dialogue intermixed with some interesting action scenes. Anything after that is just pure comedy value and the story/arc is pretty dire too, although further intensified by Kevin "Can't Act" Sorbo :(

As much as I hated Farscape coming to such a quick end, I think the mini-series really did it justice and I dont think I would trade that for the potential to screw it up, by adding another series.

Firefly definitely required another season, if not more, the film was good but that show was all about character interaction/development and thats the kind of thing you cant really get across in a film. This would definitely be my first choice for a new season.

Jake 2.0 was interesting, had some quality episodes but on the whole was pretty poor.

MutantX was dire.

American Gothic and Nowhere man were other favourites from my childhood and I havent really seen them recently enough to comment as to whether I would have continued them or not...

Crusade was also a bit of a disaster, as far as I was concerned, it was less Babylon 5, of old style and more something new that just plain scared me :p

Tbh, there is quite a comprehensive list here and I cant really think of anything new to add other than my previous comments ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement