Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my new LC website...

Options
  • 09-08-2006 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

check out my brand spanking new LC website. Pretty bare at the minute but i hope to add to it gradually. ive a pile of notes and links to put up :)

wat do yee think? theleavingcert.com couldnt believe that domain name was available at first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

"I completed my Leaving Cert in 2006, and bagged a respectable 480 points so i'm no dummy"

You don't know that =p

Oh, and if you're putting notes up, you might want to be careful about copyright and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not too bad at all there OP, schtick a url to this board in your links section. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

you think it's more important to cheat than to give an excuse about homework? What do ye learn from cheating on a homework exercise?

Besides disagreeing with some of your tips, atm it doesn't really offer anything that the other leaving cert sites don't.

I realise that it's in early stages but I don't like it.

Sorry if this seems harsh btw :(

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

It's Irish grammar, not grammer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah i know, it's a bit bare..

but i'll be adding more pages in due course and hope to have it fully completed by september.

cheating saves time, more time = less stress, less stress = better performance. it's my own view, controversial, however it worked for me.

with regards to the 480 points :D it could change next wednesday but i want people to know im not a dosser but take short-cuts to achieve decent results.

• Advertisement

It's Irish grammar, not grammer :)

feck, i knew i forgot to do something! forgot to spell check :o

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Nicely done, but your google searchbox isn't aligned properly. In fact get rid of it or apply a stylesheet, because it looks really out of place with the rest of you layout.

Lord Oz wrote:
    Nicely done, but your google searchbox isn't aligned properly. In fact get rid of it or apply a stylesheet, because it looks really out of place with the rest of you layout.

done, (well aligned properly) :) i might get rid of it though and make a nice banner, however the google search is a nice option to have on any page imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Having seen your 2 websites I'm very impressed.
    Could you tell me who your hosting is provided by and how much it costs????
    Also, where did you get the domain and again.....how much????

I'm not gonna go copyin. I'm just curious.

whassupp2 wrote:
    Having seen your 2 websites I'm very impressed.
    Could you tell me who your hosting is provided by and how much it costs????
    Also, where did you get the domain and again.....how much????

I'm not gonna go copyin. I'm just curious.

pm sent. total cost for 2 websites for 1 year = €60 (i can also host unlimited domains if i want, but the domains will cost me extra)

• Advertisement

cool. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

If you look hard enuf you will find good FREE hosting not all them hosts with loads of ads & pop ups(ahh day were the days)

Only think that will cost you is a domain

My website from 3yrs ago
    http://dlkfc.swift-hosting.co.uk/
    &
    http://dlkfc.swift-hosting.co.uk/index.php

Everything on that was 100% made by me even down to the coding of the site statistics.

but you only got a sub domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I was 14/15 at the time I made that site there was no way I was paying for a domain!! When I 1st lauched the site in 2002 I had the .tk domain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Nice design, but I'd scrap the search box or put it somewhere less obtrusive. Maybe get your own searching script which would use a tidy little box, shouldn't be too hard to install.
    Also, theres a few bits of CSS that are in your HTML, might want to shove those over to the css file or scrap them if they aren't in use.

Definetly a good idea to have a site from a student perspective, lets face it people will take it much more seriously.

cianclarke wrote:
    Nice design, but I'd scrap the search box or put it somewhere less obtrusive. Maybe get your own searching script which would use a tidy little box, shouldn't be too hard to install.
    Also, theres a few bits of CSS that are in your HTML, might want to shove those over to the css file or scrap them if they aren't in use.

i've blended in the search box more now, i'll look into drawing up my own... also the ads have been blended in as they stood out a bit much.

having seen leaving-cert.net fall flat on it's face i don't suppose a forum would be a good idea? boards.ie can't really be challenged, or could it? (LC wise)

I think a forum would be a good idea even though boards would be the best option.
    I think it shud be an unregistered forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

you think it's more important to cheat than to give an excuse about homework? What do ye learn from cheating on a homework exercise?

You'd learn more by cheating than by doing nothing and making up an excuse. :rolleyes: Of course, you'd learn more by actually doing the work, but there are always times when you can't for some reason, so cheating is the best option. You can catch up with the work yourself later, and you haven't gotten in trouble with your teacher either. Win-win

Tis a good site smemon, clean and functional layout. I presume you are planning on having tips on a range of subjects too? I'm on hand if anyone needs English tips during the year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Tbh I'd be surprised if that site is still active in 6 months time.

Lord Oz wrote:

we'll see about that ;)

• Advertisement

OctavarIan wrote:
    I presume you are planning on having tips on a range of subjects too?

yes indeed, i just have to find time to write them up. Here's a little taster, a boards.ie exclusive :Denglishtips

i think those headings are pretty much what students are looking for ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Well done smemon! Blue peter badge! No but seriously the site looks really organised and easy to use - no bulsh!t!

d4gurl wrote:
    Well done smemon! Blue peter badge! No but seriously the site looks really organised and easy to use - no bulsh!t!

exactly what i was aiming for: 'no-nonsense'. cheers for the heartwarming comments :)

i'll be working on it over the next couple of weeks and hopefully all will be done by september so the new 6th years can take advantage of it :D

i can't challenge skool.ie but i'm aiming to be second best. As it's from a student's perspective, it should have the 'cool' factor most LC sites lack. They can relate to it rather than boring, old fashioned advice.

Should it take off, i'll pull out the secret weapon - the LC forum. However im reluctant to challenge boards.ie, can't really improve it much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

examiners report's ....

You REALLY need to fix errors like that if you want your site to be taken seriously.

You also don't seem to have much understanding of how the papers are actually marked. You might be able to 'bluff' on questions worth 59% but bluffing will not get you marks. Your example of the rubbish answer about limestone formation in Ireland would get no marks at all and for you to suggest it would is disingenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Lord Oz wrote:

With the mocks coming up? I'd be surprised if you're correct.

Well done OP, nice one imo. There are never too many Leaving cert student-help websites as far as Im concerned. Needs some ironing as you said, but a very good idea on your behalf

spurious wrote:
    examiners report's ....

You REALLY need to fix errors like that if you want your site to be taken seriously.

You also don't seem to have much understanding of how the papers are actually marked. You might be able to 'bluff' on questions worth 59% but bluffing will not get you marks. Your example of the rubbish answer about limestone formation in Ireland would get no marks at all and for you to suggest it would is disingenuous.

you're entitled to your opinion ;)

however, what i say - goes :D

student 2 imo would gain far more marks or if not marks, respect and goodwill which in turn could gain a few extra marks throughout the paper as he sounds like he's done his homework.
    spurious wrote:
    bluffing will not get you marks
    we'll see about that on wednesday ;)

Just another point...

I typed "leaving cert" into google and your site was not in the first 2 pages of results.
    I think it needs to be if your going to get many hits because boards is not going to be enough.

whassupp2 wrote:
    Just another point...

I typed "leaving cert" into google and your site was not in the first 2 pages of results.
    I think it needs to be if your going to get many hits because boards is not going to be enough.

don't worry, type that in a week from now and i'll have blown everyone out of the water ;)

expect theleavingcert.com to be on the 1st page, probably 2nd or 3rd behind only to skool.ie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭megs_88

nice one, good luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Smemon wrote:
    "I completed my Leaving Cert in 2006, and bagged a respectable 480 points so i'm no dummy"

If you completed your leaving cert in 2006 how the fcuk do u know what u got?

Advertisement