Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving away...long term

• 09-08-2006 2:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Been working in the Mid West US on a 1 year contract now with the intention of returning to Ireland. At this stage have decided to give the West Coast a shot, applied for a Masters as only means to get Visa at this stage and it is something I've considered doing. Contract IT work on the side until I can apply for H1B visa next year.

Thing is have the guilty feeling with family, specifically elderly parents. However Dublin holds no attraction for me any longer despite many good friends there. If I was to move home I know I would'nt be happy. Anyone else been in similar position. Family is important but so is fulfilling your own goals and ambitions???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I've been there. I moved to the US last year after all my life spent in Ireland, hopping around back and forth from England. My folks didn't really expect me to go through it and my Dad wanted me to stay on at home, offered me the house when would pass on, etc. I had to do it though, I was in a going no where job and even though things get to me a lot living in the US, I am still happier here than I was in my old job. It certainly is not easy leaving family behind especially when your folks are elderly but you have to do whats best for yourself as well. Whether or not I'll stick around here long term, I don't know, maybe I'm just the moving around type or something. I do miss my old friends terribly at times but as you mentioned at the moment Ireland doesn't have a whole lot of attraction for me. Its very easy to get lost in the world and I think thats where I am at the moment, I'm used to people knowing my name at home, the bank tellers, shop keepers and its all a bit confusing when you leave something like that to come to a much bigger city. Enough of my yapping, best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Congrats on Mod Ruu. Same deal, folks offered site for a house. I will go back if I ever want to raise kids. I hear what you're saying, youre friends at home will always know you best. Butterflies in stomach right now is a good feeling though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

why don't you just do the master course and see how you get on with that, just remember that you can still move back to ireland in a few years time if you decide to. It isn't like once you decide to stay for a while you can never move back (you probably won't though as the longer you leave it the harder it gets to go back). My aunt spent around 20 years living in france and returned around 3-4 years ago. She misses France but seems to like being back around family.
    So give yourself a few years in the US and see how you are getting on and then you can decide whether you want to coem home or not

Advertisement