Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No forum drop-down menus on top of page?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I use it too!

It's really handy when you get to the bottom of a page for going back to the forum. It's just a little annoying having to scroll back up to the top to get the link.

Yeah when you read a thread to the bottom, then you can just click "go", and you're back in the forum, rather than having to scroll all the way back to the top :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

DaveMcG wrote:
    Yeah when you read a thread to the bottom, then you can just click "go", and you're back in the forum, rather than having to scroll all the way back to the top :)
    Exactly! It's just so handy. But if we're the only ones using I suppose I could go back to scrolling up to the top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

No it's fine, back again.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I always use the drop-down at the bottom because private fora appear in it too whereas with the DHTML one, you have to click the category to get them.

Edit: Cheers Cloud!

Cloud wrote:
    woohoo, nice to see I'm important! :D It musta been that 5er subscription I paid 2 months ago... you're living in hope that I'll send some more big bucks your way, isn't that why you're appeasing me Cloud? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Never knew there was a drop down list at the bottom.. that's actually quite handy :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Cloud wrote:
    Thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Gone again here. :(

Regenerating. Knocked 10k off the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you're trying to give boards a shave how about removing the inline css styles from each page's html output? Is it possible to have a seperate stylesheet on VB that can be cached by browsers - or are the stylesheets dynamically loaded? Or are you already doing that? I could have sworn I saw inline css ten minutes ago.

• Advertisement

Yep did that, the problem we were having was that the CSS files have to reside on two servers, so when they are statically saved they have to be copied to the other server. I've added a cronjob in case we forget to copy them, runs every hour.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Still gone for me in both IE and firefox, not cached pages.

As mentioned in another thread we are still testing turning on and off features on statler. Try using porkpie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Gone again. :(

WHO-wyne-RRRRRR!

Sexeh. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

KH, stop trying to increase your post count... its just testing to get a general improvement.

So shush and go back polishing those mod titles.

V.

Could the stars in the subbed menu be part of the problem? I seem to recall this being the problem for one of the times boards was slowed down drastically. That resulted in the stars being removed from all other dropdowns bar the subbed.

Maybe now that there are so many more users, and maybe each person has a large subbed list - the effect is coming about again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The italicised 'subbed' and 'adverts' looks a bit naff imo...

was 'subbed' always italic? I forget.. looks a bit different anyway.. is that a smaller font size or something? what's going on?

and are they ever going to rerun Brisco County Jr.? ...I'd like that... it was a good show.

are those my feet?

Right I don't think we need to be postin sayin "it's on now", "it's off now" all the time -- at least not today, since they said they're testing sh*t! Let's just leave the boyos to work it out :)

ps. do I get brownie points for calming the rabble?

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    Right I don't think we need to be postin sayin "it's on now", "it's off now" all the time -- at least not today, since they said they're testing sh*t! Let's just leave the boyos to work it out :)

Roger that captain backseat-admin!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

DaveMcG wrote:

You actually just made me unspeakably angry.*

You just repeated what Vexorg said about three posts ago except it took me about four times longer to read.

*This is hyperbole.

Naff eh? We don't want that!

Gordon wrote:
    Could the stars in the subbed menu be part of the problem? I seem to recall this being the problem for one of the times boards was slowed down drastically. That resulted in the stars being removed from all other dropdowns bar the subbed.

Maybe now that there are so many more users, and maybe each person has a large subbed list - the effect is coming about again.

I tested this a while (an hour) back.

Here are the users with the longest sub lists (queue jokes):

[php]
    [14:18] <Cloudie> +
    +
    +
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | counter | username |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> +
    +
    +
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 69 | azezil |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 68 | nesf |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 58 | Einstürzende |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 56 | TriFrog |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 50 | simu |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 49 | Paddy20 |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 48 | Spunj |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 47 | Hermione* |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 47 | RobertFoster |
    [14:18] <Cloudie> | 46 | tman |
    [/php]

I ran the Subbed query for az, it just took .09 seconds. So it doesn't seem to be that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cloud wrote:
    Here are the users with the longest sub lists (queue jokes):

wow
    I'm more than a tad surprised that I'm not on that list.
    Az's sub list must be longer than his schlong (not a big surprise really - excuse pun)

Typical Az, he not only has the largest sub but he's got 69 of them..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah, it is much less naff now.

My seven subbed fora seem so inadequate now.
    I am subscibed to a thread or two though, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

69, typical az. There's me with my 20 - and even at times that's a bit much.

Advertisement