Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambisonics

Options
  • 09-08-2006 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Ok thought i'd share this marvellous technology with everyone here.

You can get an ambisonic vst plugin from http://www.dmalham.freeserve.co.uk/vst_ambisonics.html

I'm doing my MA thesis compositions using this and it's really a fascinating area.
    It's really spooky because you can be using just headphones and the sound will actually move up and down, and from front to back.

As far as i can figure, it's all based on using phasing, delays, and the effect of Interaural Time Difference. but the maths behind it is pretty heavy in parts.

Anywho, just thought i'd let y'all know about this and seriously recommend you give this a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

That sounds really cool. A friend of mine did his MSc Music Technology last year, implemented something similar - a motion sensor was mounted on the headphones, so the listener could turn his/her head left/right/up/down but still hear the sound coming from the laptop screen.

I think the pinnae (fleshy bits of the ear) also play a role in localisation, they filter sounds coming from the rear, giving them certain characteristics so we can recognise them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've tried a few demo vsts some work quite nicely. Pink Floyd were doing this sort of thing years ago (Final Cut jet fighter moment!).

erm how does it actually work?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I originally thought it was through delays that it was doing it but it seems
    it's mainly based on the spherical harmonic components of a sound. i've been using it a lot lately and it's nothing short of unbelievable.

Play something in the car and sound starts moving between the floor and the ceiling and all around the place.
    truly mental!

Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant how does the vst work there are 5 files but no instructions!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

To install a VST just drop its DLL file into your VST folder - this is usually C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins

• Advertisement

I know how to install into a host but its the use technique I'm asking about. Do I route the audio output through the dll? and if so do I need to use one or all of them in a chain? A walkthrough would be handy.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ok this is how i did it. it's really easy and you probably wouldn't believe that it works.
    put one of the ambisonic vsts as a plugin insert on a stereo track.

then fiddle with the parameters and you'll figure it out.
    i recommend using the one with the nice gui which is about fifth on the dropdown menu.

good luck.
    btw what audio/midi sequencer you running.

i'm using pro tools and running the ambisonics vst's through an rtas wrapper.

I have a number of hosts including Soundforge, Cakewalk and Cubase.

I'll copy the dlls into Soundforge first.

Mike.

Advertisement