Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring question - need advice

• 09-08-2006 7:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Bit of a basic question here, but I have a light fitting, bought in Europe, that I want to connect to an Irish light socket. It has a transformer that converts from 220v to 11v, but the wiring diagram only shows what to do with the live and neutral wires coming from the Irish light socket and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put the earth wire. As a result I am unsure what to do with the earth wire that comes from the irish light socket. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

At your own risk you could always forget about it. Yes all earths should be connected and go to a central earth rod, but half the time the wires go no where. It's pretty standard also not to have them in light fittings. If your light doesn't have a place for a earth wire, I wouldn't try putting one in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

The transformer is probably double insulated and doesn't want an earth.
    The light fitting will be at 12volts and doesn't want an earth either.
    Just seal up the end of the earth and leave it for the next light fitting which may need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Thanks folks. Appreciate the advice.

Advertisement