Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rant....

Options
  • 09-08-2006 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

OK I have to rant or I am going to explode!!! :mad:

Is there anyone else out there that travels into/out of Galway each day on the N6? Do you know the silver car that travels at 40miles per hour and won't pull in to let people pass and ALWAYS causes a huge tail back.

Is this illegal - to actually drive at < 40miles per hour and refuse to pull in on the hard shoulder, especially on a 60 mph road?

This person is notorious and I have been only driving this route for 2 years!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

I think it's actually illegal to pull into the hard shoulder unless it's an emergency (blown tyre, etc..) - but I hear ya and understand your frustration. Sometimes I think ppl like that do it - as a sort of 'vigilante' thing.
    But in saying that have you looked to see who the driver is.
    I only say that because lately, i've been trying to convince myself (to stop me suffering road rage) that it's the 'older' generation who drive like that and i'll probably be driving like that when i'm in my 70's - so i can't have double standards now - can i :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

You can drive on the hard shoulder to let someone pass, to overtake when someone in front is turniong right, and in emergencies. 40mph is a perfectly allowable speed, and (s)he is under no obligation to pull in.

TBH, it's the N6. Pass them the fock out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

wet-paint wrote:
    You can drive on the hard shoulder to let someone pass

Not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ram them off the road, Mad Max style.

I sat the Driver theory test last wednesday. It came up. I said you could, and it was correct. It's in the latest editions of both the rules of the road, adn the DTT book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

padi89 wrote:
    Not anymore
    The hard shoulder rules refer to Motorways.

Back to the slow driver...

First of all - she is about 40-45 years old. She is the kind of driver that sits on top of the steering wheel. She appears to be a VERY nervous driver.
    wet-paint wrote:
    Pass them the fock out
    Not possible to pass out 30-35 cars at peak commuting time (not joking - 30-35 cars!)

We can't be the only people who know this car! She will do the same thing this evening going home. We live 25 miles out - I don't need someone who is too nervous to drive at 60mph to make my journey any longer than it needs to.
    wet-paint wrote:
    40mph is a perfectly allowable speed, and (s)he is under no obligation to pull in.
    Wet-Paint, I do agree with you but as far as I know, when you cause such huge tail backs then you are causing an obstruction and I think this is called dangerous/careless driving. Trucks pull in as they are restricted to 50mph. She doesn't just hold up 3 or 4 cars - it's more like 20-30 as its peak times.

I'm just having a rant and was just wondering if anyone else had noticed her as this morning was particularly bad. 40mph from Craughwell to Oranmore! Then everyone goes nuts on the dual carriageway to make up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ring Mill St. Garda with her no. plate and ask for their opinion. See if you can get them to take action or watch for her. I drive the Headford road and there is a tool on a moped doing the same thing every day but its slightly easier to pass.

'cptr

Ah come on, mopeds can't go any faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

wet-paint wrote:
    Ah come on, mopeds can't go any faster!
    Correct, but 45kph on a two lane road with major commuter traffic is going to induce road rage and cause an accident - this person insists on driving as close to the white line as possible instead of staying in out of the way. It doesn't bother me, I'm not in a hurry to go anywhere but there are inconsiderate road users who infuriate others without even knowing/caring.

40mph >> 45kmph

This is a failure of our driving licensing system.
    If she isn't comfortable and confident driving at all speeds within the legal limit, she shouldn't be driving.

"Sh1t or get off the seat"

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    40mph >> 45kmph

This is a failure of our driving licensing system.
    If she isn't comfortable and confident driving at all speeds within the legal limit, she shouldn't be driving.
    I 100% agree. Nobody is asking her to drive like a demented fool and break speed limits, I just want her to keep up with traffic and close to the limit and not cause a hold up.
    Isn't this one of the things you are asked to do during your driving test?
    Keep pace with traffic without breaking limits - but keep traffic moving!
    Whether its a 30pmh zone or 60mph zone the rules still apply.

wet-paint wrote:
    I sat the Driver theory test last wednesday. It came up. I said you could, and it was correct. It's in the latest editions of both the rules of the road, adn the DTT book.

The funny thing is if you are in the hard shoulder letting someone pass and hit someone exciting from a side road your the one that gets stung for being in the wrong by insurance companys even if they pull out in front of you.

Anyway,im amazed your problem is with the individual driving at 40mph.What about all the dumb fvcks driving right behind her that dont pass her out.Surely the 1st,2nd and 3rd car should pass her out,its the group of cars that are holding up not just the one.

Padi89 - I know it's easier said then done, but you only make manoeuvres on the road when you know it's safe to do so.
    Therefore I reckon you pull in over the yellow line when you haven't seen a warning sign telling you that there is a junction ahead. That said, I do realise that some side roads are not announced. But you would hope that a main national road would be well sign posted.

Not in this country.
    We barely have adequate roads outside of the pale, never mind signposts.
    You can pretty much forget about reading them when there's a bit of dew/frost in the air too.

MargeS wrote:
    Padi89 - I know it's easier said then done, but you only make manoeuvres on the road when you know it's safe to do so.
    Therefore I reckon you pull in over the yellow line when you haven't seen a warning sign telling you that there is a junction ahead. That said, I do realise that some side roads are not announced. But you would hope that a main national road would be well sign posted.

I wouldnt rely on warning signs at all in this country even on the main roads.Sign posting here is terrible.Il only pull into the hard shoulder somewhere like just after Aughrim heading towards Galway where the road is completly straight,flat and with no ditches or hedges around.Mind you your likely to slam into the back of a squad car there too as they love to pull out the old speed gun along there.
    Its not just sideroads,its entrances to houses or farm machinery exiting fields and you obviously cannot have signs for all of these.Personally i think using the hard shoulder is more dangerous to use than the road.

She should pull over and stop, or speed up a bit.

People get very stupid when they're frustrated, not to mention the driver superiority complex.

SyxPak wrote:
    not to mention the driver superiority complex.
    Maybe that's what I have! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

this woman may not look in her mirror at all, careless driving
    she may need glasses and not wear them (lots of women are too vain) , dangerous driving
    she may not be qualified and may have no L plate up, thats very naughty that
    she may be an alco , she can be randomly bagged
    she may be a drug addict as many are, driving under the influence and out of it.

All of these are good reasons why she should be pulled over and checked out by the traffic cops and given a good talking to even if she is in the clear.

The UK has a separate driving offence that she would be guilty of no problems.
    Section 3 Road traffic Act 1988

Driving without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road.

We do not have that offence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

in some countries, a slow driver has to pull on to the hard shoulder and stop when there is a certain amount of traffic behind them.i think it's a low number like 5 / 6 vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So Craughwell to Oranmore is what? 5-6 miles? At 40mph, 6 miles is 9 minutes. At say 72mph, 5 miles is 5 minutes. You're complaining about 4 minutes lost???

• Advertisement

...x5days a week x2trips a day x51 weeks in the year x2 years x 70 people
    is 285600 minutes, or 4760hrs.

Aproximately.
    padi89 wrote:
    Anyway,im amazed your problem is with the individual driving at 40mph.What about all the dumb fvcks driving right behind her that dont pass her out.Surely the 1st,2nd and 3rd car should pass her out,its the group of cars that are holding up not just the one.
    Quoted for possible truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How bout this for a completely stupid idea.
    Next time the car is ahead of you, try spare some time and follow here to where she is going. When she gets out of the car ask her would she like a lift from where ever she is going from to whereever she is going too (since it looks like you share the same route every day). This would get her off the road and solve the road rage that you suffer from, as well as make you a hero to the other people who use the road.
    It would probably also be a good idea to find out how many of those 30 cars behind her have only 1 person in them-then to mention the issue to your local representative-see if a car pool, bus can be arranged.
    Alternatively, leave your house 3-6 minutes earlier every morning and play some calming music....

Post of the month ^

some people are just sooo clever! ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

MargeS wrote:
    OK I have to rant or I am going to explode!!! :mad:

Is there anyone else out there that travels into/out of Galway each day on the N6? Do you know the silver car that travels at 40miles per hour and won't pull in to let people pass and ALWAYS causes a huge tail back.

Is this illegal - to actually drive at < 40miles per hour and refuse to pull in on the hard shoulder, especially on a 60 mph road?

This person is notorious and I have been only driving this route for 2 years!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

can't say that I've come across the car, and I'm driving in and out of Galway everyday. But I definitely know what ya mean, you do get the odd eejit who won't pull over (whether its illegal or not, it's a lot safer than encouraging people to overtake on that stretch of road), and instead they drive along at snail's pace. and its true, everyone goes nuts on the dual carriageway once they hit it. saw a lovely seat leon nearly leave the ground it accelerated so fast coming out of the first roundabout this morning!

or what about the people who drive down the left hand lane to go around the oranmore roundabout - only to come off the roundabout onto the dual carriageway. Some people thing that 2 lanes on/2 lanes off means you can still enter the roundabout at 6 (on a clock face) and exit at 3. I am not sure about this. But at 8am I am not about to argue with anyone! Fun and games, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 benjy100

Yes I do travel the N6 most days, would the make of this sliver car be a 00 Almera? as I have got stuck behind this car on several occassions which drives me bananas!!!! maybe she does not realise that there are 5 gears in the car!!

Benjy100 - I thought I was the only one!

Yes 00 Almera. I mean, if she is a nervous driver then I feel for her but at rush hour in the morning or evening I want to scream at her. She definitely causes problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 benjy100

Well at least we have identified the culprit, this car does not seem to be on the road on a Friday

• Advertisement

I met her during the week at 7:20am - so she is leaving earlier. She caused a massive tail back from Loughrea all the way to Craughwell on Tuesday. People were flashing her as they were overtaking. We were driving less then 40mph.

Advertisement