Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams for limerick

Options
  • 09-08-2006 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

well with yesterdays news regarding roches stores selling up to debenhams, it looks like debenhams will be taking over the roches stores shop in town,

what do ye all think of that,

i always thought they would come to the opera centre when it was built,
    i like roches stores, u can get almost everything there, from perfume to a screwdriver,

wonder what sort of work they will have to do on the inside to transform it,

should be interesting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I think its great news, the building could use a makeover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think its terrible news, Roches Stores is like the best shop in town. Everyone will be sad to see it go. I'll miss it and i know i won't be the only one.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

debenhams will be a breath of fresh air to limerick so i think its great! any one of their stores i was in in scotland was pretty good..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

well with yesterdays news regarding roches stores selling up to debenhams, it looks like debenhams will be taking over the roches stores shop in town,

what do ye all think of that,

i always thought they would come to the opera centre when it was built,
    i like roches stores, u can get almost everything there, from perfume to a screwdriver,

wonder what sort of work they will have to do on the inside to transform it,

should be interesting
    I thought it was marks and spencers that was going to the opera no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Mixed feelings, |Roches was a convienent store, but it's not a huge loss to Limerick, the way it's neglected Arthur's Quay park/Liddy street is virtually unforgivable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

I think its great Debenhams are taking over the roches building and hopefully gut the whole place it is such a mismatch of different stuff in there it would be great to see dome uniformity in there. Plus they might use the Liddy Street buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

i will miss roches their 20% sales were good,

however if this means that something is finally done with liddy street well then its gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I thought it was Marks and Spencers that was going to the Opera ?

I sure hope so .... I've been waiting so long for M&S to start up in Limerick I'm starting to believe it will be my decendants who will be the first to see them :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

i will miss roches their 20% sales were good,

however if this means that something is finally done with liddy street well then its gets my vote.

Debenhams have blue cross sales, with 20-70% off. I just got the best clock from one last week, only 20% off though, but it saved me £10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Its a disgrace the way Roches Stores have left their liddy street premises fall into dereliction almost, although it is sad to see another long established Irish retailer dissapearing!

Marks & Spencer ARE moving to Limerick, almost certainly the Opera centre!, the head of the Irish division made the announcement during the week when he was visiting their future store at Wilton in Cork, full details are to be announced in the coming weeks!

It remains to be seen now who the second anchor in the Opera centre will be, seen as Debenhams are moving into roches!

• Advertisement

Spengman wrote:
    Its a disgrace the way Roches Stores have left their liddy street premises fall into dereliction almost, although it is sad to see another long established Irish retailer dissapearing!

Marks & Spencer ARE moving to Limerick, almost certainly the Opera centre!, the head of the Irish division made the announcement during the week when he was visiting their future store at Wilton in Cork, full details are to be announced in the coming weeks!

It remains to be seen now who the second anchor in the Opera centre will be, seen as Debenhams are moving into roches!
    with the tactics that dunnes have been using recently it wouldnt suprise me if it was them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

1huge1 wrote:
    with the tactics that dunnes have been using recently it wouldnt suprise me if it was them

What tactics? Just curious, not trying to defend Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

I was kind of thinking it could be Dunnes aswell myself, they always seem to have more clout than anybody else when looking for new accomodation, apparently M&S were left fuming a couple of years ago when they thought they had secured the anchor in the ballincollig sc in Cork only for Dunnes Stores to come in with a larger offer and beat them to it!

Their city centre stores in Limerick are a mess, O Connell street is a joke, henry street for all the space available has been a bit of a let down and what can you say about the sarsfield street heap of s***! I definately wouldnt be surprised if they have earmarked the Opera Centre for a new flagship Limerick store, afterall they have just got planning permission for a huge redevelopment of their Patrick st store in Cork!

Of course Dunnes never ever dispose of property either, very shrewd operators indeed!

BTW does anyone know exactly how big the Opera centre is going to be? I think i heard 45,000sq metres!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I suppose Debenhams would be a breath of freash air in any city across the country, yet you are just replacing Roches which is basic getting rid of the old air and more importantly competition.

Could Limerick not afford both shops?

guys for a development that is meant to begin construction in the autumn its keeping a very low profile!!! The Developers are Belfast Based Regeneration Developments! i have googled them and have found nothing on them or the opera centre! the only thing ive got about the The Opera Centre is stuff from the limerick post and leader about the plans and the planning permission being granted! this could be a pie in the sky development along with Coonagh Cross!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

pokerwidow wrote:
    What tactics? Just curious, not trying to defend Dunnes.
    they are opening shops everywere to get a monoply (e.g the distance from childers road one and the parkway) like they've loads in limerick

guys for a development that is meant to begin construction in the autumn its keeping a very low profile!!! The Developers are Belfast Based Regeneration Developments! i have googled them and have found nothing on them or the opera centre! the only thing ive got about the The Opera Centre is stuff from the limerick post and leader about the plans and the planning permission being granted! this could be a pie in the sky development along with Coonagh Cross!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

I've seen a slide show on the Opera centre and it looked pretty impressive, but it was made to sell the project so obviously it was a case of best foot forward etc. I think the concept is a good one, but I'll wait until I see more to judge. Either way, it will be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

OK

Debenhams are not taking the Liddy st. Buildings.

The main building will not get major cosmetic surgery

They will be in direct competition with Brown Thomas not in the Roches league.

There will be a sale acroos Roches, but not on any stock Debenhams want to keep up.

Menswear and mens shoes are 50% except Kartel and Trousers, Mainly gone.

The Garden Centre is now Closed (As of Today)

Roches have stopped selling vouchers.

Debenhams will not cater for the Roches customer.

Sextons, Mike O Connell, Tony Connollys Noels, N2, Dolly Boutique, Vera Moda and the like are going to do very well out of the sale of Roches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I was driving into limerick from galway today and i saw signs about coonagh cross

It says it will be completed by april 2007!

All the space is cleared for it and i saw alot of machinery in there.

I was driving into limerick from galway today and i saw signs about coonagh cross

It says it will be completed by april 2007!

All the space is cleared for it and i saw alot of machinery in there.

Machinery?????

It's already complete

• Advertisement

Complete, What the F**k are you on about?

Complete, What the F**k are you on about?

The building was completed originally some time in the 50s AFAIK wit an 80s extension.

Complete as in no more to be added immediately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

The coonagh cross shopping center hasn't been started yet, let alone been completed in the 50's......

ninty9er wrote:
    The building was completed originally some time in the 50s AFAIK wit an 80s extension.

Complete as in no more to be added immediately

Presume you're discussing Roches, the others are discussing Coonagh Cross. Won't be finished by April, no chance.

Presume you're discussing Roches, the others are discussing Coonagh Cross. Won't be finished by April, no chance.

Oops. Thought he said there was a Debenhams advert AT Coonagh Roundabout.

Aren't the foundations down for Coonagh. Supposedly it's going to make Dundrum look small. All part of the Parkes plans to make Limerick the shopping capital of Europe I s'pose. Don't think they've anything to do with Coonagh though

Easy mistake. Coonagh Cross is way behind the schedule, the initial planning permission was refused.

Coonagh Cross will change the westside of the city, hopefully for the better.

It's in the County really, but I've never heard it refferred to as the Westside.

Smacks of Ali-G

True, it occurred me when I typed it that I'd never heard the west side of the city call the "westside" for some reason. It is county Limerick, but it will effectively be part of the city when Coonagh Cross/Greyhound Stadium/GaelColaiste is built

Advertisement