Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

detecting connection speed query...

Options
  • 09-08-2006 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Background to problem.... I've got a site done for a client that makes use of flash in certain places of the site, e.g. photo slideshow, banner rotator, etc. The site has been optimised in all areas, e.g. images uploaded are auto resized/optimised, full use of css/xhtml layout, etc. BUT there's been a number of queries from users regarding the site being slow. I know it is because of these flash files plus the images those files load and unfortunately, I've no way of reducing them.

If you are on broadband, it all loads quick and neatly. I'm worried about the dialup user and after checking the stats, I see that dialup is 60% of all traffic to the site. I've already added in a non flash version (which replaces the flash banner rotator with a static image and the photo slideshow with a javascript version), which is automatically implemented if the user doesn't have flash 7 or above... and this dramatically speeds up the site for a dial up user.

The question.... any suggestions on what the best way to handle which version to display to visitors - broadband/flash version or narrowband/nonflash version, e.g.
    (1) use a connection type detection script (www.cyscape.com - but don't think client will pay for it) to automatically load broadband/narrowband version
    (2) force the user to select broadband or narrowband before displaying banner images and slideshow, e.g. splash page or something similar (don't like splash pages btw)
    (3) force the user to use the narrowband and give them the option to use the broadband version (non flash version doesn't look as good as flash version says client but it is basically the same but doesn't move/fade)
    (4) some other option I haven't thought of yet?

The broadband version is the flash version and the narrowband is the nonflash version. Once selected, I can use cookies to remember the users selection so this would be a once off action but also give the option for user to select the alternative option.

Any feedback is much appreciated...

Rgds,

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have broadband but generally don't want to visit the heavier flash sites and prefer to choose myself which version I can view.
    Its not answering your question directly but anyhow try this PHP snippet:- http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2006/05/31/determine-connection-speed-with-php/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I dont think you can just detect a users connection speed without forcing the user to download a file e.g. a 1MB file and see how long it takes.

The best way might be give load up the full flash version but make a link to the "Lite Version" available instantly so that if the full version is taking a long time they can just click on the "Lite Version". newegg.com do it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

(2) force the user to select broadband or narrowband before displaying banner images and slideshow, e.g. splash page or something similar (don't like splash pages btw)

That is my personal preference or make the default site the non flash one, with an option to view the flash version

Advertisement