Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damp proofing an old house - which approach to use

Options
  • 09-08-2006 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm thinking of damp-proofing an old end of terrace council house. I'm considering the following options.

Injecting a damp course into the outside walls

Electroosmotic system (Lectros)

Think they cost about the same to do. Has anyone got any experiences with either or anything else and can recommend same?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

i did the silicon injection job about 12 years ago.
    ive just recently had to redo one gable wall
    didnt cost me to get it redone,still under the 15 year warranty but its a bloody nuisance.
    thewall was built from soft clay brick, remainder of the walls are ok,they are the old stone walls about 600mm thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Thanks a lot for this, are they doing this from the outside where they can and from the inside for dividing/party walls adjoining to the next house?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I live in a detached house built in the 70's out in the country, exposed to alot of conditions - mould always appeared on the external walls climbing from the bottom. I recently had the wall cavity insulation pumped in and they even siliconed the cracks for me, I cleaned the damp patches with bleach and painted and so far seems brilliant, I know it's been warm. It cost me 700 for all the walls - great reports from everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

You could also try lowering the water table by digging a drain outside around your house.
    This serves two purposes as it will dry out your foundations and prevent heat escaping through the damp foundations.

Advertisement