Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Course or club

• 09-08-2006 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I completed a level 1 and 2 sailing course in Dun Laoighre about 5 years ago. I'd love to get back into it but not sure how to go about it. I live in west Dublin.

I was told at the time that the next stage would be to join a club and work as a crew member. I don't know anybody with a boat and I'm not sure how I'd feel about being bossed around by hob nobs. Not my idea of fun. Maybe it's not like that at all.

Can anybody recommend a down to earth club with adult courses?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Arithon

If you're looking for a sailing school in Dublin, there's the Irish National Sailing School in Dun Laoghaire (it may be the school you went to before). Can't find a website for them.

If a weekend or week away and training together sound like a good idea, you could try Glenans Irish Sailing Club - http://www.gisc.ie/
    I've been on courses in Baltimore (Co. Cork) and Collanmore (Co. Mayo), and they've been good fun (learned a lot too).

If you're not really looking for a course, but just want to get some time on the water, then I'd suggest having a look at Sailing In Dublin Club - http://www.sailingindublin.ie/
    They have dinghy and yacht sailing sessions on a number of evenings during the week, and at the weekend. You can go out for a trial session for €20, refundable against your full membership if you decide to join. Mid-week sessions finish in three weeks though, due to the shorter days. There'll still be sailing at the weekend for a few weeks after that, even throughout the winter if you sail in the Frostbites...
    Not many hob nobs either, the clubhouse is a container :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

You might have been in the wrong place or haven't sailed much as there are very few "hob nobs" around sailing. They normally end up stuck in a marina as they have money but can't get a crew. If you do come across one just jump ship. Sailing in Dublin is a good start as joining a club is the best bet for getting out crewing etc. You will however need to be prepared to listen and learn on a boat and also to do some heavy work the odd time.

Good clubs are DMYC, Poolbeg, CYBC, Swords and Sutton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Best way to get a crew position is to post ur details up on one of the following sites. Owners are always looking for crew at start of season and indeed on the boat I crew on this is how the entire crew was located, via ads on sailing sites.

Having said that, the main summer season is drawing to a close so you might not get much interest until next spring. But put ur ad up and see.

www.sailing.ie
    www.riyc.ie
    www.nyc.ie
    www.rsgyc.ie
    www.spinnakerweb.net

Some sites allow you to put the ad up yourself. Others you just need to email the club secretary and ask to put ur ad up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You could try Blessington SC., www.blsc.ie - only catamarans and dinghies - no Hob Nobs.
    Jim.

Advertisement