Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3, my lack of motivation

• 09-08-2006 11:13am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I must say I don't understand why I feel quite so negative about the PS3, I mean given how we all looked forward to the PS2, even those of us clinging to our DCs, its perhaps a sign of things to come if even the early adopters who traditionally cause consoles to sell out in the early days are having trouble convincing themselves the PS3 is a worthwhile investment.
    THe fact that they already have a 360 and also want a Wii could squeeze the PS3 out of the running.
    I mean, if I really wanted one I could put the money aside over the next couple of weeks and buy one at launch, but I just feel that certain anxiety I usually feel at the prospective launch of a new console is missing, now perhaps when the date approaches I will get more excited, but I don't think so.
    I can, indeed, see myself buying one next year, when they are a little cheaper and there is a better range of titles available, but this will be the 1st time in over 10 years that I haven't bought a new console at launch.

Now I don't know if the prohibitive price is the reason, or the lack of anything I really want in the launch line up, by comparison the 360 was also expensive although the presence of PGR3 and COD2 made the console a worthwhile purchase.

Anyway I wait to be convinced, and hope the empty feeling when I see the machine passes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm not exactly overly hyped either. hell, i was hyped up over the PSP more then i am over the ps3. i think the price is at fault. but having said that, when i watch those trailer reels on gamevideos or gametrailers i do get pumped up about the games.

i may not buy one at launch (i have a 360 and gaming PC to keep me happy) but i'll get one fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well to me personally I'm not at all hyped over the PS3. Its nothing that isn't available already! My 360 is humming away nicely just waiting for Halo 3, Forza 2 and GOW.

I think I just felt that I got burnt with the PS2, not that it wasn't a great machine just the amount of bull that it apparently was and turned out to be marketing speel. At the moment I just feel like I can't trust Sony with regards to the PS3 and I don't see it as anything that I don't have with my 360. That and the fact there isn't a hope in hell I coudl give up XBOX Live!

the Wii on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish. I'm not hyped over that but I'm amazingly intrigued and Ninty have my full attention here. Not something a console has done in a long time!

iregk wrote:
    the Wii on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish. I'm not hyped over that but I'm amazingly intrigued and Ninty have my full attention here. Not something a console has done in a long time!

i'm the same with the wii. it could easily end up being a pile of sheizah but it's cheap, so it doesn't matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yup, I ain't really looking forward to the PS3. Mainly cos of the daunting price tag it carries. Might buy me a Premium 360 and a Wii. But probably the Wii first cos I <3 Ninty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I am not looking forward to the Ps3 either. I think mainly because of the price tag and that there are not really any good games out around the release date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I can't wait and will be first in q to get one. Fair enough it is expensive and the launch games don't seem to be too good but the potential this machine has is amazing. Also its network is going to be free (sony's equalivant of live!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well at least there is one guy who is looking forward to it.
    I reckon a lot of my lack of enthusiasm stems from getting a little jaded of the scene, owning too many machines with too many games yet to be played.
    The pricing really doesn't come into it although it is quite pricey, I could habe cobbled together the cash given time, its just why?
    I mean what good reason is there to buy one at this time?
    Doubtless when the 1st and 2nd run of fresh software start to pop up on the shelves in the next 12-18 months I'll pick one up but as with virtually every new console I buy I end up getting about 3 titles I want and wind up thoroughly browned off with them and the machine until about 6/8 months after launch when games start to trickle onto the market again.

Yes the potential of the machine is amazing, without doubt it will be the most powerful console on the market, Sony have done nearly everything they can to make the hardware as good as it can be, the ball is now in the developers court, it's up to them to decide what concepts to green light into production, do they trot out the same old tripe, FPS, Racing games, soccer? Or can we look forward to some more high concept titles, doubtless these will appear but how long will we have to wait?

With the PS2 we were lucky, even though the launch lineup was pretty bad it still gave us Fantavision, a tech demo turned artful interactive game, could the launch of PS3 contain such surprises? We can but hope.

It really would only take one must have title to make me dig deep and buy a PS3, just the one, anyone suggest what that may be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Eye of Jugement, Resistance: Fall of Man and Warhawk are the only good looking launch titles, but TBH none of them look like they are worth buying a console for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shortie989

I hav 2 say for a complete game junkie im excited alrite but not as much so as i was about PS2 or PSP.
    I think its cos of the launch line up no real landmark games der, although resistance luks interesting i hav 2 admit.

But then i luk at the MGS4 trailer and tink "wow!! thats f***in amazing!!"
    It is certainly the more powerful console as it uses better tech and revoulutionary tech, it's d only machine in d world with a Cell processor. It also has d advantage of huge storage more than 25GB! if developers want d games 2 b big den they will be big!!!:D

Here's a downer though GTA is bein developed 4 PS3 and Xbox360 at d same time that means that it won't b as huge as the Blu-Ray disc cud allow.....:mad:

I won't b buyin it at release my PSP+PC will pull me through...i'm not sure about my PS2 though dat disc readers a B**CH!!! How will i play FF:XII!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Not looking forward to the launch myself either really. I don't know ALL the launch titles but the way I look at is that I would be paying whatever the initial price is 600 euro + 80 for a game that isn't something I want to play.

When I see enough games I want to play for the console I'll get it.

In the mean time I'm getting the wii a.s.a.p because there are a number of launch titles that I'm really looking forward to.

Not getting an xbox 360 coz fight night is the only game that appeals to me and it just ain't worth the money atm pour moi.

• Advertisement

shortie989 wrote:
    Here's a downer though GTA is bein developed 4 PS3 and Xbox360 at d same time that means that it won't b as huge as the Blu-Ray disc cud allow.....:mad:
    No it doesn't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I cannot decide whether to buy a 360 now or wait until the PS3 releases to see what it brings....

Hopefully it produces something amazing for 600 euro... thats the only thing which would drive me to spend that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

shortys94 wrote:
    I cannot decide whether to buy a 360 now or wait until the PS3 releases to see what it brings....

Hopefully it produces something amazing for 600 euro... thats the only thing which would drive me to spend that much

Actually tbh I was planning on buying the 360, then the Ps3 afterwards. Then the other night I was thinking will I bother with the 360 at all. After a lot of taught I came to the conclusion that I would buy both consoles, the 360 in the next few weeks. Then the Ps3, maybe around Christmas time or a bit after. I would like it for Christmas, but I wonder will the price go down? Thats the only thing really stopping me from buying it at the moment.

shortie989 wrote:

Actually the 360 version will have more missions and content than the PS3 version due to a Microsoft exclusive deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

swalsh wrote:
    I can't wait and will be first in q to get one. Fair enough it is expensive and the launch games don't seem to be too good but the potential this machine has is amazing. Also its network is going to be free (sony's equalivant of live!)

Going by that logic why not wait a year until the price has dropped somewhat, the games are better, and theres more of a chance of seeing whether the machines a dud or not?

iregk wrote:
    Actually the 360 version will have more missions and content than the PS3 version due to a Microsoft exclusive deal!

which, it must be noted, rockstar and take2 have denied. the exclusive deal, according to a r* press release sitting here somewhere says it's for "a rockstar title", which everyone with common sense seems to believe is table tennis.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

iregk wrote:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

which, it must be noted, rockstar and take2 have denied. the exclusive deal, according to a r* press release sitting here somewhere says it's for "a rockstar title", which everyone with common sense seems to believe is table tennis.

It was confirmed in a number of interviews that the exclusive content IS for GTA. I'll try find a link.

Actually it has been confirmed a number of times that exclusive content will be in GTA for the 360. The exclusive title was Table Tennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

No :rolleyes: completely wrong. "episodic content" isn't a game.

• Advertisement

You've lost us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I also read somewhere that it was confirmed for GTA4... Anyway, we're getting off topic here.

I won't buy one till the price drops substantially. Alot of people are talking about a Wii60... I've already got the latter part of that combo and my DS is always getting use, proving Nintendo mite have a knack for innovation ;)

I just can't justify 630 notes for a console that has quite a poor launch lineup(and the biggest rip off of other consoles features). That said, MGS4, FFXIII and a cheaper price tag WILL persuade me to buy one eventually.

Sony have been careful to say that their network service is free, and most of their first party games might well be free, but since devs will be responsible for maintaining and providing their own servers there is less of an incentive for them to really put effort into online functions on PS3 than on 360.

Also, the first comparisons of Bluray vs HD-DVD have come out now that the same titles have been released on both formats and Bluray is taking a trashing.... I can almost smell the Betamax....

Also, the first comparisons of Bluray vs HD-DVD have come out now that the same titles have been released on both formats and Bluray is taking a trashing.... I can almost smell the Betamax....

Not questioning this at all I'm just curious and intrigued. Where did you hear this? I haven't heard a mention of it so I'd like to know more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Had a ps2, never had an xbox. Played a 360 a couple of weeks back and I'm pretty much sold on that. The price of the ps3 is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

iregk wrote:
    Not questioning this at all I'm just curious and intrigued. Where did you hear this? I haven't heard a mention of it so I'd like to know more...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_blurayvshddvd_firstcomparison.html

Perhaps not a trashing... But this is more fuel to the fire....

http://www.cinenow.com/us/news-2118.html
    It's mainly about optimal HD viewing but hang in till the end for Joe's thoughts on HD-DVD and BluRay...

iregk wrote:
    Actually it has been confirmed a number of times that exclusive content will be in GTA for the 360.

Links?

monument wrote:
    Links?
    There was a vid of an interview with someone from Xbox Live that confirmed it just after E3. But it was up on eurogamer.tv and I can't find it :s

And at the time it was totally dismissed by many here on boards. The pessimistic example was something said the way it was worded on the video could just mean 360 users will get downloadable content, content that simply cannot fit on a normal DVD. That it would be exclusively downloadable for 360 users, while it’ll fit on a Blu-ray disk (if they ever materialise).

There’s the clear fact that Rockstar are not confirming much of anything, and at E3 Microsoft staff were also giving denials and being cautious, all adding to the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It's too early to say. This time last year I had no interest in the 360. But then the kiosks started appearing and I played them, then more information came out on the games that were available, and suddenly I wanted one and bought one, and I haven't regretted it!

Over the next couple of months there should be far more information available on PS3 games and we'll start to get a much clearer picture. I won't be buying one because of circumstances, just as I won't be buying a Wii, but next year I'll likely be buying both, depending on how it all pans out.

Advertisement