Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3, my lack of motivation

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not too sure of GTA4 then counts as the game to sell the console given that its to appear on both main trad next gen consoles, must be something else to make one want to rush out and buy a PS3,
    What about a Wipeout follow up? That sold the PS1 to me, what about the next GT game? A God of War title, but then, aside from HD graphics what improvements can there possibly be?
    Hmm? What indeed, 360 is here and now showing really the limitations of gaming at the mo with few improvements in games with the next gen jump aside from the graphical one which is incremental at best.
    Really what can the PS3 do in real terms that the 360 will just scratcg its head at? Have we reached an impass where developers imaginations have simply run out of steam, that they lack the needed imagination to push content on the new formats to new heights and instead just reheat existing genre staples?
    Could it be that kids this Christmas will simply want a PSP or DS lite and not bother with the big box by the telly, thats the sort of feedback I've got from mates in the business, that instead of seeing the PS3 as the next big thing after the PS2, that the PSP is seen to have taken up the Playstation brand, that could have a negative affect on sales this Christmas, given that PSP stock is not selling like it should and the DS lite together with Mario is flying out the door, a situation that even the biggest Ninty Fanboy would have been hardpressed to predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Sony's been very quiet since E3, so I think that may be part of your lack of hype. From the Tokyo Game Show onwards, things should start cranking up in a big way.

Oh, and for those doing so, it's a bit hard to judge the launch lineup at this point. See how things turn out in November. There seems to be a large number of titles coming, though, and it looks like a good mix of exclusive versus multiplatform content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

LookingFor wrote:
    Sony's been very quiet since E3, so I think that may be part of your lack of hype. From the Tokyo Game Show onwards, things should start cranking up in a big way.

since you mentioned tgs... it's worth pointing out there's big talk of sony pulling out all the stops this year, and are going to announce something (or maybe more then one thing) that'll blow people away and justify the cost of the machine. may also seem that a lot of the horrendous rants by sony execs were done on purpose to generate strange responses from the press (sony are known media manipulators) and then to go silent before tgs... then make the €600 price look good.

we'll have to wait and see i suppose

I wouldn't expect one single thing that suddenly 'justifies the cost' for every man, woman and child on earth ;) For some, it's already justified, for others it's not.

I do expect a good show in terms of content and details on things like the online service etc. That's really all they've gotta do - let the machine speak for itself and just keep showing more and more games. Ultimately, that's what every Playstation has proven itself on, the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Anyone have a list of games rumoured to be available at launch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/07/playstation-3-launch-games-confirmed.html :D

Eye of jugement
    Genji 2
    Resistance - fall of man
    Warhawk
    Armoured Core 4

They are the rumoured to be the main ones and should have the latest versions of the EA sports games out with it aswell. Should get a final list at TGS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

shortie989 wrote:
    it's d only machine in d world with a Cell processor.
    The pedant in me wants to point out that IBM have Cell based blade servers up and running.
    LookingFor wrote:
    I wouldn't expect one single thing that suddenly 'justifies the cost' for every man, woman and child on earth ;)
    Well for me, it would be Linux. If Sony managed to pull the finger out and did actually get a fully functional version of Linux on there, then the PS3 could do everything your PC can, only it will play Playstation games instead of PC ones. This means that you are almost getting an overpowered PC for the price, as well as a playstation.

It would also mean that homebrew is pretty much guaranteed, since all of the tools will be included by default.

"Because we have plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognize Linux programming activities… Other than game studios tied to official developer licenses, we'd like to see various individuals participate in content creation for the PS3."
    —Izumi Kawanishi on the presence of Linux in the PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Blowfish wrote:
    This means that you are almost getting an overpowered PC for the price, as well as a playstation.
    But it only has 256mb of System ram. Great for a games console but limiting for running a OS on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Ciaran500 wrote:
    But it only has 256mb of System ram. Great for a games console but limiting for running a OS on.
    Indeed, KDE and Gnome are both resource hogs, lets just hope Sony manage to offload as much as possible onto the gfx. Thats the bit i'm waiting to find out, before deciding whether or not to get one :)

The other thing which would be interesting is that there are already nes and snes emulators for Linux, so essentially people can use the oldies from Nintendo for free (though not legally), which Nintendo are planning on charging for.

Batesy wrote:
    Anyone have a list of games rumoured to be available at launch?

From what I can tell, these are likely in 2006 (a couple are probably likely only in Japan, like Mahjong and Armoured Core 4):

Fatal Inertia
    Mahjong Taikai
    Bladestorm: Hundred Years War
    Motorstorm
    Genji: Days of the Blade
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    The Eye of Judgement
    Singstar
    Formula One 06
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight
    Ridge Racer 7
    Armored Core 4
    Call of Duty 3
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    Tony Hawk's Project 8
    Madden NFL 07
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
    Need For Speed Carbon
    NBA Live 07
    EA Fight Night Round 3
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
    Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
    Full Auto 2: Battlelines
    Sonic The Hedgehog
    World Pool Championship 2007
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
    College Hoops 2K7
    NHL 2K7
    F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. was just announced a short time ago today. I'd expect more announcements soon. Other notable possibilities or rumours that I'm not so sure on - Warhawk, Oblivion, Splinter Cell Double Agent, GRAW.

About Linux and RAM - I'd expect it'll work out of the 256MB of Cell's memory 90% of the time. Cell has limited access to the GDDR3. On the upside, that 256MB does have a lot more bandwidth than PC memory would, so there may be some performance gain there. I'm not too concerned about it, I'd say the distribution they put together will bear in mind the system's resources. In the end it'll be by far the cheapest point of entry for programming on Cell (and the only way to program on PS3). You can get a Cell accelerator board for PC now, but it's like $8k or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement