Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ssh tunneling / proxying / workaround jobbie

• 09-08-2006 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

ok...I can ssh into a solaris 10 box. From this solaris box, I can ssh into my work desktop (ubuntu 5.10). I can run freenx on my work desktop, but not on the solaris box. Is there any way of tunneling / proxying through the solaris box directly to the ubuntu box? x forwarding isn't really an option as I only have a dsl connection.

AFAIK, only port 22 on the solaris box is open,externally and access is controlled by external IP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Some nerds you lot are! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Do we have a sticky on Tunnelling etc as per Khannie's title?

Would find it useful if all the NIX heads could stick up suggetsions / howtos or point in the general direction of good info sources on same.

Sorry for the hijack (oops the Brits will probably be after me now) Khannie.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

Khannie wrote:
    AFAIK, only port 22 on the solaris box is open

I think thats why no-one is answering. A workaround would probably mean putting daemons on the sun box and possibly the other box to route the traffic via an ssh connection. :eek: Very haxy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Khannie wrote:
    ok...I can ssh into a solaris 10 box. From this solaris box, I can ssh into my work desktop (ubuntu 5.10). I can run freenx on my work desktop, but not on the solaris box. Is there any way of tunneling / proxying through the solaris box directly to the ubuntu box? x forwarding isn't really an option as I only have a dsl connection.

AFAIK, only port 22 on the solaris box is open,externally and access is controlled by external IP.

I don't know much about FreeNX, but I'm going to assume that it listens on a single, fixed port number on your work PC, let's say 1234. If so, ssh has a port-forwarding option -L you can use, which opens a (listening) port on the local PC. When a connection is made to this port it's forwarded to the requested destination host and port. So, something like:
    ssh -L 5678:ubuntupcname:1234 username@solarisbox

should work. You can then point your FreeNX client at localhost:5678 and ssh will pass that on to port 1234 of the ubuntu PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Wouldnt a VPN be a better option for multiple machine access?

SSh tunnel forwarding is the only way im aware of to do this. How would DSL rule this out?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

^ What Andrew said. I use this ssh feature literally every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

AndrewMc wrote:
    ssh -L 5678:ubuntupcname:1234 username@solarisbox

That is fantastic! I must remember to use this one.

Advertisement