Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Remember Doing The Leaving?

Options
  • 09-08-2006 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I realise this forum is set up probably for those doing their leaving, but I thought I see if anyone who has done their leaving some time ago has any stories they remember from those dark ages?

I remember myself and my mate being thrown out of honours maths at Christmas of sixth year (the teacher only liked 'A' standard students), and the two of us ended up getting As in ordinary maths. On the day of the results, the honours maths teacher approached us and asked us if we thought we had made the right decision moving down to ordinary maths. We told him we weren't given the choice. The gas thing is that my mate subsequently got his degree and h.dip. and is teaching, guess what? maths in a quite posh school!! (incidentally, he went back to the old school to do his teacher training, and our old maths teacher wouldn't talk to him for the year!!)

Also, I remember going to see Dire Straits playing their last gig in Dublin ever as a band, and when the gig was over, walking round to D'Olier Street to get our free Times, as was the practice in those days, to check our college offers. What a night!! I got in!! That wasn't yesterday or today!! All pre-internet & checking results as well as applying for college etc online...... How we survived without it I just don't know!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Yup, I remember it alright. Went asleep during Irish and was wayyy late for physics.

On the bus that was so late en route to the physics exam, an elderly man asked me what exam I had. When I told him I had physics, he remarked "you must have to be very fit for that. Ye know, the physics"

Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I remember, bout two months back. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

Yeah very memorable. It was stressful, I remember my hand nearly falling off after every exam. Mine was 2005

I remember panicking a LOT during english. You study so hard for the exam, getting quotes and question plans and the language perfect, and then on the day you're just rushing so much that it feels like youre just putting down random sh1t on the page! Seems to have all come together sometime though.

I never understood the people who could be late for exams. I'm not puch of a worrier in other ways, but being late for a leaving cert exam would probably kill me tbh:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

A long long time ago, way back in the year 2006, I did mine

memory aint the best, but i remember lots of hectic yet quiet writing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 diymcguyver

My leaving cert was back, way way back during the teachers strike, in the 80's.
    My Engineering Practical exam was sabotaged by the teachers. They got smart and emptied the QxyAcetlene bottles in the examine workshop.
    Lucky we had a cool examiner and he truned a blind eye while we removed the door of the second metalwork classroom, and retrieved the full bottles. It was a great practical examine, and I have no doubt that the class all would have failed if we didn't improvise.
    :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement