Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brakes failing when driving on the road?

Options
  • 09-08-2006 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Has this ever happened to you?

What the hell did you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

junii wrote:

has never happened - if this has happened to you stop using the car and get a proper mechanic to look at it.

The only think you can do is use the engine braking. i.e. move down thru the gears and use hand brake if that is still working.

Edit:
    I am getting very worried about what you are driving after your question about tyres from breakers
    Do not skimp on Tyres or Breaks. If they are not working order fix them properly, do not cut corners a few hundred euro is very cheap compared to the cost if something goes wrong from both a human and financial cost point of view.

If you cannot afford to be on the road then wait until a time that you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

comanche wrote:
    The only think you can do is use the engine braking. i.e. move down thru the gears and use hand brake if that is still working.
    That's pretty much the best thing to do. If you're moving at speed (e.g. on a motorway), don't drop straight into first or you'll probably skid. Stick on your hazards, shift down a gear and try to move into the hard shoulder. Once you're down to about 60km/h shift into second, and once you're down to about 45 km/h shift into first. That should bring you nicely down to about 15km/h. Then you can jam your car against the kerb to stop it. If you can't get onto the hard shoulder, do the same slow down, but jam your car into the bushes on the central reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

seamus wrote:
    That should bring you nicely down to about 15km/h. Then you can jam your car against the kerb to stop it. If you can't get onto the hard shoulder, do the same slow down, but jam your car into the bushes on the central reservation.

If you can get down to 15km/h then you could either roll to a standstill or perhaps use reverse to lose the last but of speed. That said, if you have any reason to suspect that the brakes on your car might fail then you shouldn't under any circumstances drive it on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Theres nothing wrong with my brakes. I was just wondering.

totally forgot about reverse. At a slow speed, reverse should help (If you can get it in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hellooooooo???

Handbrake ??

If you managed to slow the car down to first gear, the handbrake will stop you pretty quickly ...quicker than trying to get reverse in, anyway.

All this shifting down gears is all very well ...but It'll take a long time for you to stop.

If it needs to be fast, all you can hope for is that there is a barrier or wall that yo can scrape your car along at a very narrow angle, without turning or flipping it.

Had to do that sort of manoeuvre once ...still had brakes, but the road was sheer black ice ...luckily the snow-plow had left a big snowbank on the side ...used that for breaking. Didn't even damage the car much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

peasant wrote:
    Hellooooooo???
    Had to do that sort of manoeuvre once ...still had brakes, but the road was sheer black ice ...luckily the snow-plow had left a big snowbank on the side ...used that for breaking. Didn't even damage the car much

hehe did that once on a bob sleigh, got the angles slightly wrong - result was quiet spectacular - launched myself off the side of a mountain much to the amazement of the locals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cjs

drop through the gears rapidly nd then free wheel until you stop. or if you have to pull the handbrake, but not if your doing much more than 40mph cause when you pull the handbrake you will spin out but its not as scary if your doing bout 40mph

peasant wrote:
    Hellooooooo???

Handbrake ??
    Well, you have to imagine a worst-case scenario. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

My brakes went while I was driving a couple of weeks ago, it happened while I was already travelling slowly and was just braking for a speed ramp so it was no big deal, scary to think what could have happened though!

I had no major problem stopping the car, basically the pedal went straight to the floor but there was still a tiny amount of braking force that brought me to a stop eventually, otherwise I guess it would have been the handbrake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Had my brakes fade completely on me a few years ago in a civic. Was approaching into a corner doing about 40mph, and went to brake to slow down. Had a truck coming around the corner toward me on my side of the road.

Basically dropped from 5th straight to 2nd, had my foot as hard on the brakes as it'd go, popped my 2 left wheels onto the ditch, and had to use the handbrake to get slow enough to make the turn.

Gut wrenching moment, but made it through in one piece. Nothing physically wrong with the brakes; I had been driving on really bad roads for a couple of hours and they had heated (bloody drum brakes!). Also, would have been fine if the truck had stayed in his own lane (at this stage was on a good road outside Portumna).

Thankfully have never had a repeat of the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

junii wrote:

Like they say in the HHGTTG, "Dont Panic", unless you're tailgating, in which case it's too late to panic.

This has happened more than a few times to me. A Fiat 128, woudl let go every now and then.
    In that car, pump the brakes like hell and they woud return, obviously a master cylinder seal leaking. I got a reapir kit and fixed it eventually.

Truck would brake ok, but while waiting at a light with foot resting on the pedal, it woudl drift off to the floor and the truck would drift off also. bit of a surprise on hills.
    new master cyl fixed that.

Teh brakes on the van failed twice in rapid succession. 1st one of the slave cylinders leaked in air, so foot to the floor, immediate response, pedal like phuck (PLF) again. Fixed the slave cylinder and about 2~3 weeks later the master failed at about 50mph on the highway, same response, PLF and they recovered a bit. I drove them that way for about a month before I got round to replacing the master cylinder.

However, the worst case and scare I had was with a VW Bug/Beetle. foot went to the floor, no amount of pumping would make them recover very much and I am fast approaching the back end of a large van. Fortunately, the bug is narrow and the lanes wide, so I managed to fit it in between the van and a Mustang in the adjacent lane, fortunately the Mustang saw what was happening and moved over about 6".

handbrake?. Gears are better if you have the time. The HB on teh Bug was worse than useless and on the van, it simply locks the back wheels, but does little to slow the van.

So I think the ultimate answer is, pump peddle like your life depended on it AND use the gears at the same time. but above all, "Don't Panic"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What about something Automatic with a non hand parking brake (eg. E-Class)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Water got into the disk brakes once, drove into a flood about 4" before I realised, I think it forms a skin between pad and disc. It took about 400-600ft to stop, car in front stopped about that distance away and I had to put two wheels on the pavement to go around and avoid hitting them. Was only doing about 25mph. Pumped brakes, and used handbrake to no effect. I should have turned the engine off with the car in gear. Hindisght eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ninty9er wrote:
    What about something Automatic with a non hand parking brake (eg. E-Class)
    Switch off the engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Switching off the engine in an auto will achieve nothing except further panic as your power steering stops !

Most autos still offer the ability to change down through the gears, also the foot brake works just like a regular handbrake so you can apply it a few clicks to slow down without locking up, and then stand on it if you have to !

I had brakes fail completely on a Clio 16V, years ago ! I drove over a hangar, didn't know obviously but it punctured the rear brake line at the proprtioning valve massivley and i had no pedal at all. I was going fairly fast towards a very busy "T" junction so I yanked the handbrake about 4 feet in the air !

I had to spin ther car around 180 degrees, luckily I had the room and survived undamaged....................except for my ego !

My leg rattled for about 20 minutes afterwards !

Advertisement